Stenhousemuir -vs- Elgin City (Saturday 13 April 2024)

Stenhousemuir - the 2023/24 League 2 champions! - take on Elgin City on Saturday afternoon. There isn't much at stake here - Stenny have finally won thee title and Elgin are probably safe - but I cannot wait for this game. I'm really excited to spend the afternoon with my fellow supporters and see this group of players in action again. This is the most likeable squad we've had in my 20 years following the club and I want to enjoy watching them between now and the end of the season.

The game against East Fife was a brutal spectacle but I'm putting that down to the blustery conditions rather than the quality of either side. Stenny are superb defensively, and I'm confident of maintaining another clean sheet here, but there are obvious issues further forward, and it's just not really clicking at the moment. With no pressure, it might relax our attacking players and we might see something more fluid and entertaining as we're struggling to create chances, let alone put them away. Everything seems to be a little too precise at the moment and I hope to see a couple of goals in our favour this weekend.

Elgin City have improved since Allan Hale came in, and they're a good side at Borough Briggs, but they don't tend to travel well, picking up just eight points on the road all season, and I hope we can take full advantage. I'd be inclined to go with the same team that start against the Fifers last time out:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Adam Brown -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Edin Lynch - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

I fancy us to win this! Let's go out there and enjoy ourselves and show everyone why we're the champions!

I'd be giving all the boys who were benched on Saturday, and haven't had much game time recently, starts on Saturday. Keeps the full squad feeling involved and the job is already done - I also expect we will beat an Elgin side on their travels without Golding anyway.

We maybe want to go full strength again on trophy day but certainly for the next two games I'd be sharing the game time.

Lyle

Lynch Buchanan Stirling Bilham 

Jacobs Berry

Taylor Brown Kirky 

Rodden

Something along those lines.

Two 25 yard efforts again please Mr Elgin.

I’d be amazed if we finished as club 42 but our advantage isn’t what it was so we’ve got to get back to our best after three without a win (albeit against two teams on lengthy unbeaten runs at the time and Spartans). We can secure safety by next Saturday if we manage one more point than Stranraer or Clyde over the next two matches, or two more than Bonnyrigg. Peterhead can mathematically tie up a play off place this Saturday so hopefully they do that and are cotton wool wrapped for their game at Borough Briggs.

While we should look to win as Stenny have nothing to play for, they have nothing to play for because they’ve won the league with four games to spare and spare for two capitulations this season are a tough nut to crack, so realistically we aren’t doing bad if we manage a point out of this game. 

10 hours ago, Neilly said:

I'd be giving all the boys who were benched on Saturday, and haven't had much game time recently, starts on Saturday. Keeps the full squad feeling involved and the job is already done - I also expect we will beat an Elgin side on their travels without Golding anyway.

We maybe want to go full strength again on trophy day but certainly for the next two games I'd be sharing the game time.

Lyle

Lynch Buchanan Stirling Bilham 

Jacobs Berry

Taylor Brown Kirky 

Rodden

Something along those lines.

This. put a shift in whenever asked and deserve starting time

It would be good if before the match all the players in the squad were introduced onto the park individually so that the fans could applaud and acclaim their efforts on this momentous occasion.

I would also like the club to consider a Hall of Fame, not just for this group but for former players and individuals who have contributed much to the club.

39 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I disagree! Let's try and get an elusive win with the best players available first and then have a kickabout down at Stranraer on the final day of the season.

I'm not sure what is elusive about the win when the league is wrapped up. We have won more games than anyone else in the league - hence we won it.

We also have to be looking forward to next season. Why risk our better players getting an injury in dead rubber games? 

These Highland hammer throwers will be chasing shadows. If Mikey Anderson gets clattered and misses the start of next season I'll be holding you solely responsible.

30 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

It would be good if before the match all the players in the squad were introduced onto the park individually so that the fans could applaud and acclaim their efforts on this momentous occasion.

I would also like the club to consider a Hall of Fame, not just for this group but for former players and individuals who have contributed much to the club.

The Elgin City team will have to form a guard of honour and clap us onto the park. What a pop!

Every single member of this team should go into a Stenhousemuir FC Hall of Fame. I would also include Mark McGuigan and Terry Christie to go in alongside them.

I'd love to see Tommy Steele, Miller Mathieson, Adrian Sprott and Paul McGrillen put into that hall of fame. Legends in my eyes. 

As for the Elgin game, I'd like to us play 2 strikers. A bit of me also wants to see Yates play centre mid, his distribution can be excellent and maybe playing a little further back could help us open them up?

4-4-2 - DJ, Bilham, Meechan, Lynch, Bucky, O'Reilly, Jacobs, Anderson, Taylor, Rodden and Aitken.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

The Elgin City team will have to form a guard of honour and clap us onto the park. What a pop!

Every single member of this team should go into a Stenhousemuir FC Hall of Fame. I would also include Mark McGuigan and Terry Christie to go in alongside them.

Have?

13 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Have?

In accordance with long held tradition (old firm not withstanding) the gentlemen players of the Elgin City Association Football Club might see it fitting that they mark the event . . . . . .

That what you were looking for?

2 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

I'd love to see Tommy Steele, Miller Mathieson, Adrian Sprott and Paul McGrillen put into that hall of fame. Legends in my eyes.

Maybe an age thing but you need to go further back.

Jimmy Weir, Willie Ormond, Willie Wallace, Jimmy Richardson, Alex Smith, Stewart Kennedy, Ray Dunlop, Ewan Donaldson for starters.

Perhaps worthy of a topic of its own?

Edited by Hard Graft

1 hour ago, true fan said:

In accordance with long held tradition (old firm not withstanding) the gentlemen players of the Elgin City Association Football Club might see it fitting that they mark the event . . . . . .

That what you were looking for?

I’m sure they will.

2 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Jimmy Weir, Willie Ormond, Willie Wallace, Jimmy Richardson, Alex Smith, Stewart Kennedy, Ray Dunlop, Ewan Donaldson for starters.

What about my old workmate Archie Rose ?  Archie gave sterling service to Stenny at RB in the 60's through the 70's with a break at Brockville.

2 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

I'm sure Ormond was from or grew up in Carronshore? Only played a handful of games for us, if I remember right but a cracking player none the less. Willie Wallace is good shout as well.