Stenhousemuir -vs- Elgin City (Saturday 13 April 2024)

3 minutes ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

That could be a massive point for us given our goal difference. Not safe yet but if Clyde lose in the next 2 games we can’t be caught. Made my shambles of Grand National betting a bit more palatable!

SATURDAY 20TH APRIL

• Bonnyrigg Rose15:00The Spartans

• Clyde15:00Stenhousemuir

• Elgin City15:00Peterhead

• Forfar Athletic15:00East Fife

• Stranraer15:00Dumbarton

SATURDAY 27TH APRIL

• Clyde15:00East Fife

• Dumbarton15:00Elgin City

• Forfar Athletic15:00Stranraer

• Stenhousemuir15:00Bonnyrigg Rose

• The Spartans15:00Peterhead

SATURDAY 4TH MAY

• Bonnyrigg Rose15:00Forfar Athletic

• East Fife15:00The Spartans

• Elgin City15:00Clyde

• Peterhead15:00Dumbarton

• Stranraer15:00Stenhousemuir
    Here's the last 3 sets of fixtures, surely there is no way all 4 teams below City would get enough points to put City bottom. If Clyde lose one of their next two they can't catch City.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

SATURDAY 20TH APRIL

• Bonnyrigg Rose15:00The Spartans
  • Clyde15:00Stenhousemuir
  • Elgin City15:00Peterhead
  • Forfar Athletic15:00East Fife
  • Stranraer15:00Dumbarton

SATURDAY 27TH APRIL

• Clyde15:00East Fife
  • Dumbarton15:00Elgin City
  • Forfar Athletic15:00Stranraer
  • Stenhousemuir15:00Bonnyrigg Rose
  • The Spartans15:00Peterhead

SATURDAY 4TH MAY

• Bonnyrigg Rose15:00Forfar Athletic
  • East Fife15:00The Spartans
  • Elgin City15:00Clyde
  • Peterhead15:00Dumbarton
  • Stranraer15:00Stenhousemuir
    Here's the last 3 sets of fixtures, surely there is no way all 4 teams below City would get enough points to put City bottom. If Clyde lose one of their next two they can't catch City.

I think those fixtures make it more possible not less possible for us to get caught tbh. If we get a win in the last 3 games we’re safe. I would have taken that in a heartbeat earlier in the season.

It felt, and played out like, a training game. DJ will be raging as we were cantering to another clean sheet before losing a really sloppy goal at the end.

We dominated most of the play but just couldn't get the second goal. Euan should have killed the game really and I think he would have any other week if it really mattered but was too casual in the execution. He takes that first time and scores every other week.

Kyle Jacobs and Ross Taylor were our best players on the day - Taylor in particular was the best player on the park by a distance. Scored a thumping goal on his weak foot and caused a lot of bother all afternoon resulting, as usual when he's on it, a rake of fouls and cautions against him.

Jacobs might be worth another year. He's a handy player, really gives it everything and seems a good guy to have about the dressing room. 

There was a more relaxed style to the play I felt. Taylor impresses but can get involved too easily when he should walk away. Kinlay Bilham has been a very good signing  and looks the part.

Will be interesting to see who is released at the end of the season - we will have to be more clinical in our finishing next season.

First of all: what a pop to see your team given a guard of honour by the opposition! I loved it!

We really should have been out of sight long before Elgin City equalised. We created more chances across the 90 minutes than we'd done in our previous five matches but we were profligate and careless - Euan O'Reilly should have buried his chance midway through the second half and I can't quite believe he didn't score. Even although there was nothing on the line for Stenhousemuir, I'm still annoyed we didn't win. Imagine letting Bobby Jones score against you! How embarrassing!

Nevertheless, there were some good performances from the home side. Ross Taylor turned in a really strong performance all game and was just too damn hot for the Elgin defence to deal with. His goal was lovely, cutting in from the right and drilling home a powerful shot with his left (something that suggests there's more versatility to his game than just running down towards the byline), but his ability to draw fouls and bookings from the opposition (three yesterday!) is vital too. I hope he can use the remaining games to really push for our first choice XI going forward. Kyle Jacobs had a decent game and showed up well in midfield, so too did James Berry alongside him. Some other fringe players, however, looked off it, and I can't imagine we'll be seeing them next year.

Elgin started both halves on the back foot, but finished both halves strongly. Mark Gallagher is an excellent central midfielder and really grew into the match, while Allan Hale (left) timed his substitutions well - the introduction of Jones and Dayshonne Golding really gave them a presence they'd been missing, and Golding certainly rattled Edin Lynch before playing a big part in Jones' goal. They've improved immensely over the course of the season and it'll be interesting to see what they can achieve next term.

All in all, a good, enterprising game of football played out in difficult conditions. Fair play to all involved.