Brandon let Grant go. Trying to hold the offside line while also keeping tight to your man is a difficult balance although that close to your own goal line you have to forget about offside. It was quality attacking so I'm not too critical of our defending for it.

With the Oda goal, Obileye makes an arse of it. So brittle, as I put earlier.

Edited by Freedom Farter

21 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Nice of Hearts to get their 3rd before half time, means I can just turn the stream off and go do something else.

You'll be happy noo

Seriously, checked the score in the pub, took the huff. Walked home and we had a penalty for 4... 😂

Interestingly, Shankland took the penalty not Grant?

1 minute ago, Basil the Rat said:

Not sure Devlin is even Championship standard at the moment

I try to put a positive gloss on it in case we're stuck with him and need to make do but being honest, I agree. He's been so poor this season. Today's error was shite awareness and decision making rather than any athletic limitations being exposed.

Obileye and Sean Kelly were so flat-footed for the Cammy Devlin goal.

Obileye's missed header in the build up to the Oda goal was abysmal.

Such a brittle defence, you can't have all defenders who don't tackle, who stand off and who don't mark aggressively. 

Not a sub I'd have made. Yengi wasn't having a good game but wasn't terrible either and given the need for goals I'd have left him on. Could've still brought Anderson on. Move Pittman back to centre mid, Brandon to right back, Nottingham to centre back and take off Obileye or Devlin.

The ref doing the red card was very school headmaster. I hate that shite but done now.

2 hours ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Time for that Shan pitch & everything else to f**k off to the championship, chances are they’ll fall out that league next season. A nothing to see here situation.

Hope next season all the pitches are like Dundee's

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

Ugh, how different this season could've gone for us with these tactics and that player (Stephen Kelly) on the pitch since last summer.

Aye, maybe (MAYBE) the goal difference might not be as bad....saying that...he's rarely impressed when he has had the chance this season. Not combative enough

7 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Not a sub I'd have made. Yengi wasn't having a good game but wasn't terrible either and given the need for goals I'd have left him on. Could've still brought Anderson on. Move Pittman back to centre mid, Brandon to right back, Nottingham to centre back and take off Obileye or Devlin.

The ref doing the red card was very school headmaster. I hate that shite but done now.

Part of me is delighted Anderson is gone at seasons end.Every game hes brought on when the game has gone from us.Non starter here,hopefully he gets a manager who will start him,albeit needs to stay fit with his medical problems

How much of this defence is sticking around when we get relegated? Kelly almost certainly, Devlin probably, Brandon if he still counts as a defender, is that about it? 

If we have a Kelly/Nottingham/Devlin/ANOther defensive line in the championship we're going to get bodied and do an Accies.

1 minute ago, Basil the Rat said:

If rumours about St Johnstone really signing Obileye on PCA; I bet their supporters are duly excited by the prospect.

I'd heard he had signed with Motherwell

35 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Hope next season all the pitches are like Dundee's

Aye, maybe (MAYBE) the goal difference might not be as bad....saying that...he's rarely impressed when he has had the chance this season. Not combative enough

He's very dependent upon the tactical system. The 4-2-3-1 either left or central in the attacking mid trio suits him. An aggressive, man marking rather than zonal defensive system too. We spent most of this season doing something very different.

I agree he's flawed. Looking to the Championship next season, though, he should be considered a key component. His passing was actually impressive today too not just his shooting and he'll get more space in the Champ. Midfields are more stretched out as teams don't defend as compactly.

On my tactics comment and your point that maybe it'd have only improved the goal difference. Sure, I know why you say that. Defenders who aren't good enough remain not good enough regardless of tactics. That's definitely true. I do think tactics has come into to some degree, though, and I mean since we've made the switch to the 4-2-3-1.

Martindale had us primed this season to defend zonally. It was all about the "low block" and, effectively, folk standing in the right space. This is maybe just my bias here because of my personal preference but I just don't think we defend best like that with the players we have. I think we were better suited to a man marking defensive style. That's where you just go man for man rather than worrying about eg. having four defenders to mark two attackers zonally. This is more aggressive as it sees more players in the midfield and attack lines rather than the defensive line. You play a higher offside line and defend from the front, pressing. Boyes and De Lucas, both pacey and aggressive, were well suited to this. Donnellan came in and is also suited to it. Parkes, Devlin, Obileye, Sean Kelly are not. Nottingham is somewhere in between. George in goals is much better suited to a high defensive line as his strongest attribute is one on ones, see his save from Miovski last week for example.

The knock-on effect a more aggressive defence has to the rest of the team is huge, it'd have benefitted our midfield and attack. We defended much more aggressively in the two seasons prior to this one.

20 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

He's very dependent upon the tactical system. The 4-2-3-1 either left or central in the attacking mid trio suits him. An aggressive, man marking rather than zonal defensive system too. We spent most of this season doing something very different.

I agree he's flawed. Looking to the Championship next season, though, he should be considered a key component. His passing was actually impressive today too not just his shooting and he'll get more space in the Champ. Midfields are more stretched out as teams don't defend as compactly.

On my tactics comment and your point that maybe it'd have only improved the goal difference. Sure, I know why you say that. Defenders who aren't good enough remain not good enough regardless of tactics. That's definitely true. I do think tactics has come into to some degree, though, and I mean since we've made the switch to the 4-2-3-1.

Martindale had us primed this season to defend zonally. It was all about the "low block" and, effectively, folk standing in the right space. This is maybe just my bias here because of my personal preference but I just don't think we defend best like that with the players we have. I think we were better suited to a man marking defensive style. That's where you just go man for man rather than worrying about eg. having four defenders to mark two attackers zonally. This is more aggressive as it sees more players in the midfield and attack lines rather than the defensive line. You play a higher offside line and defend from the front, pressing. Boyes and De Lucas, both pacey and aggressive, were well suited to this. Donnellan came in and is also suited to it. Parkes, Devlin, Obileye, Sean Kelly are not. Nottingham is somewhere in between. George in goals is much better suited to a high defensive line as his strongest attribute is one on ones, see his save from Miovski last week for example.

The knock-on effect a more aggressive defence has to the rest of the team is huge, it'd have benefitted our midfield and attack. We defended much more aggressively in the two seasons prior to this one.

I agree with everything you have written but I would just have said  " we've been shite  all season " and left it at that.