Livingston v Ross County (Sat 27th April, 3pm k.o)

This was how i was hoping the fixtures would land post split, when i was deluded enough to think we still had a chance, would've been a tasty fixture had we still something to play for. Now though, all we have left is games against the 11th, 10th & 9th placed teams having a bit of a say in who finishes 11th. For LOLS Aberdeen would be my preference, because they've never been relegated, but have a feeling it'll be St Johnstone.

Can't see anything other than a County win, hopefully we make some kind of effort and score a goal or 2, our defence will no doubt be posting missing for a few County goals though.

How many goals would we need to go ahead by to actually win?

Wouldn't be too surprised if there were plenty goals in this, we've completely packed in the defending (never started in the first place) and the last couple months we've actually started games relatively positively - we just haven't been very successful with it. Honestly at this point I just want us to give some of the kids and reserves a run out, even though they're most likely League 2 standard at absolute best.

We'll probably draw this just to prolong Martindale's shite "still in the fight" patter.

Remember the days when Ross County, Hamilton Accies and Livingston were all in the top division at the same time. Ha ha ha. That must've annoyed so many people. Makes you realise how stupid the average Scottish football punter is, especially those who support the 'bigger clubs' - although outside of the auld scum Scottish football is full of mickey mouse outfits.

Went off on a tangent there, but I reckon Ross County will win this very comfortably. Think it might be about 3 nil. Sums up our season nicely. 

I think we'll win, but Livi will definitely score. We really need to pick up the three points as I don't think a draw will be enough to help us get 10th.

We should obviously be confident (and with respect, Livi probably shouldn't be), but unless I'm mistaken we have lost our last 5 in a row on the road... Something's not quite been clicking!

This might not be very popular, but IMO a draw here would constitute some degree of improvement and maybe not be a complete disaster. With our recent home form and St J's over all form, I still think we'd have every chance of overhauling them over the remaining 4 games.

Having said all that, I'd not be surprised if we did win this one. Livi are poor. We appear to have significantly improved of late.

'Mon the Staggies.

Edited by The Great Stagsby

Martindale is a very decent manager, just had 1 bad season IMO.  It happens, you will be straight back up I reckon, winning the league, no play off nonsense...

46 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

We should obviously be confident (and with respect, Livi probably shouldn't be)

This Livi team isn't due any. They're defensively hopeless, County just beat Rangers, plus Murray and Brophy have both had field days against Livi already this season.

Livi can sometimes have a decent attack. I assume Yengi is suspended which could mean Anderson will play although you might get lucky and it'll be Guthrie instead. Stephen Kelly and MacKay both provide a threat, that's about it, though. 

Livi's centre mid of Brandon, Holt and Pittman is solid and can't easily be played through. However, County just need to bypass that Livi midfield either by playing down the flanks or going direct to the strikers. 

9 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

This Livi team isn't due any. They're defensively hopeless, County just beat Rangers, plus Murray and Brophy have both had field days against Livi already this season.

Livi can sometimes have a decent attack. I assume Yengi is suspended which could mean Anderson will play although you might get lucky and it'll be Guthrie instead. Stephen Kelly and MacKay both provide a threat, that's about it, though. 

Livi's centre mid of Brandon, Holt and Pittman is solid and can't easily be played through. However, County just need to bypass that Livi midfield either by playing down the flanks or going direct to the strikers. 

That's also a midfield core devoid of any playmaking quality. Brandon for me hasn't been great at CM and Pittman's legs look done (before you get to the point of his better work being done historically further forward). 

He won't do it but I'd far rather see Carson-Holt-Sangare in the middle.

Just now, ATLIS said:

That's also a midfield core devoid of any playmaking quality. Brandon for me hasn't been great at CM and Pittman's legs look done (before you get to the point of his better work being done historically further forward). 

He won't do it but I'd far rather see Carson-Holt-Sangare in the middle.

Oh, sure, I agree. There's no Sean Byrne or Omeonga in that trio, a player who can get on the ball and playmake.

2 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Oh, sure, I agree. There's no Sean Byrne or Omeonga in that trio, a player who can get on the ball and playmake.

Holt at times can definitely be that, but he's being forced into the dirty work by Brandon and Pittman's inability to do it. Someone like a Carson in there gives him the opportunity to open up a bit. 

Not that it really matters when the defence behind any of them are conspiring to throw the game away at every single opportunity. I really do feel for the sods that end up with Obileye or Devlin after this season. Nottingham as well. 

Just now, ATLIS said:

Holt at times can definitely be that, but he's being forced into the dirty work by Brandon and Pittman's inability to do it. Someone like a Carson in there gives him the opportunity to open up a bit. 

Not that it really matters when the defence behind any of them are conspiring to throw the game away at every single opportunity. I really do feel for the sods that end up with Obileye or Devlin after this season. Nottingham as well. 

Agreed. I think that was the intention with Carson. He was supposed to become the Keaghan Jacobs so Holt could become the Sean Byrne. Carson didn't set the heather alight but he was functional so I was surprised when he was dropped. I think Brandon has done well defensively in centre mid but we've now lost his surging forward runs and crossing from right back.

I just realised I got that wrong above. Stephen Kelly will probably start as the central attacking mid with Pittman on the right, as it was last week. So Kelly can provide a central playmaking option. Quite a big game for him, this one. Obviously he was great last week even in a poor team performance but he's never really done it in consecutive matches for us. A good performance in this game would be a big step forward in terms of becoming more consistent.

2 hours ago, The Great Stagsby said:

We should obviously be confident (and with respect, Livi probably shouldn't be), but unless I'm mistaken we have lost our last 5 in a row on the road... Something's not quite been clicking!

This pretty much sums up my feelings ahead of this one. I'm still buzzing from the rangers result, but a defeat here could undo all that hard work.

We were pretty pish in the last game at TMA but still found ourselves 2-1 up in the 90th minute. I'm hoping that however we do it - doesn't need to be pretty - we get the win that builds on the momentum from Sunday and carry that into the last 4 games.

As stated on the County thread, massive game.