Livingston v Ross County (Sat 27th April, 3pm k.o)

We’ve only had one win away from home all season in the league so far, which doesn’t bode well. However after the huge result on Sunday, I’m hoping we can take that form into this game and see Livi off. No doubt Anderson will yet again score against us though.

Edited by Staggie_93

9 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

No doubt Anderson will yet again score against us though.

Would like to think with Yengi suspended that Anderson should actually start the game but these kind of logical decisions are not usually made by Martindale. 

18 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Brandon for me hasn't been great at CM

I think he's been okay, but no better than that. I still find myself getting wound up when I think about Martindale's subs at St Johnstone, putting Sangare (a midfielder) on at left back and a full back (Brandon) on at centre mid, us conceding very soon after that is probably the perfect summary of this season.

Unfortunately I think Brandon at CM is Martindale's latest galaxy brain move that he'll stick with for longer than necessary. We'll have Brandon at centre mid while Nottingham and Devlin stink the place out in defence.

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

I think he's been okay, but no better than that. I still find myself getting wound up when I think about Martindale's subs at St Johnstone, putting Sangare (a midfielder) on at left back and a full back (Brandon) on at centre mid, us conceding very soon after that is probably the perfect summary of this season.

Unfortunately I think Brandon at CM is Martindale's latest galaxy brain move that he'll stick with for longer than necessary. We'll have Brandon at centre mid while Nottingham and Devlin stink the place out in defence.

I think what Martindale wants from Brandon in there is high pressing. If you think back to Yengi's goal against Celtic at Parkhead last month, the assist for that goal actually came from Brandon pressing high and winning the ball off the Celtic holding mid (O'Reilly). There's also recent precedent with this. Steve Lawson was an attacking right back by trade but often used by us as a high pressing centre mid (albeit under Gary Holt not Martindale).

So I think that's the idea. As for whether its a good idea or not, I don't have a solid opinion on that yet.

2 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

I think what Martindale wants from Brandon in there is high pressing. If you think back to Yengi's goal against Celtic at Parkhead last month, the assist for that goal actually came from Brandon pressing high and winning the ball off the Celtic holding mid (O'Reilly). There's also recent precedent with this. Steve Lawson was an attacking right back by trade but often used by us as a high pressing centre mid (albeit under Gary Holt not Martindale).

So I think that's the idea. As for whether its a good idea or not, I don't have a solid opinion on that yet.

Pressing high and aggressively has given Livi (admittedly much better Livi sides) results against County, to be fair.

52 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Pressing high and aggressively has given Livi (admittedly much better Livi sides) results against County, to be fair.

Very much, it was the defining characteristic to Livi's playing style since the 17/18 season, spanning three different managers. It all changed this season, though. In came a passive "low block" out of possession where the midfield retreated and holding the shape became the new mantra. That can work if you have a solid central defence but Livi didn't. The tactics were changed in February back to something like the previous high intensity style. The midfield and attack responded well to that but the central defenders have just been too shit. 

2 hours ago, Comrie said:

Gave us results against most teams, the press from Pittman and Byrne was a joy to watch, that 3-2 away win against Utd in the promotion play offs was as good as it got, Byrne harried back and forth till he forced a mistake then we burst forward and scored. I like the way Simon Murray plays, would've been ideal in the Livi sides from our first 4 seasons up.

Anderson plays a good pressing game too but Martindale seems to have fallen out with him, we're down to the bare bones now with Yengi suspended and Nouble, Shinnie and Guthrie injured, all of whom got picked ahead of Anderson starting up front, wouldn't surprise me if he played Pittman or Stephen Kelly up front instead of Anderson though.

Pressure is off now, so would be good to see us having an attacking line up, and going for goals. 

Posted (edited)

I was taken aback on 1st match I saw Livi this season by the sheer strength & physicality of some of your players. County don't have that to the same extent.

Thought you'd have enough to stay up on that very 1st match (early in the season, at County's ground).

So suprised to see ya at bottom. Likesay, straight backup. Martindale is quality still IMO. Cowie off to great start, but if didn't work out, Martindale would be top of my list for poaching...

Edited by Sonam

5 hours ago, Sonam said:

I was taken aback on 1st match I saw Livi this season by the sheer strength & physicality of some of your players. County don't have that to the same extent.

Thought you'd have enough to stay up on that very 1st match (early in the season, at County's ground).

So suprised to see ya at bottom. Likesay, straight backup. Martindale is quality still IMO. Cowie off to great start, but if didn't work out, Martindale would be top of my list for poaching...

It's a difficult one, from the outside looking at what he's done at Livi it was incredible, but for Livi fans the last 2 seasons have been a tough watch, he's used up all his good will for past accomplishments now. If he does stay on for next season, he isn't going to get any slack from the fans if he doesn't start with positive results, he'll have a job getting them back onside.

Not sure if he'd consider going to a DoF position taking a backseat, but his signings this season haven't been great either, especially in defence, or maybe if he had a fresh start at another club, and a bigger playing budget, he'd get his mojo back. 

Hello there good citizens of Livingston, Lord Snooty of Ross here.

I have decided to attend said match between the Lions and the Staggies. However, my Helicopter is in for its annual service, so I have to make my way to Livingston by way of the internal combustion engine. Due to a misunderstanding between Northern Constabulary and myself over allowable alcohol limits, my driving licence is temporarily out of bounds. I have, therefore, instructed my Driver “Tam”, to prepare the Bentley, and take me to the game.

Tam is a real highlander, and considers anything south of Aviemore as England, so has no clue about the road layout in your good town, and asks for suggestions for the best place to park the Bentley, enabling him to make an efficacious departure north after the game. Would any of your good selves be able to offer parking  advice, it’s Tams birthday on Saturday, and he is keen to get home to his wife, Morag, he says he is on a promise, or something like that.

Thanking you in advance.

Pip Pip

5 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It's a difficult one, from the outside looking at what he's done at Livi it was incredible, but for Livi fans the last 2 seasons have been a tough watch, he's used up all his good will for past accomplishments now. If he does stay on for next season, he isn't going to get any slack from the fans if he doesn't start with positive results, he'll have a job getting them back onside.

Not sure if he'd consider going to a DoF position taking a backseat, but his signings this season haven't been great either, especially in defence, or maybe if he had a fresh start at another club, and a bigger playing budget, he'd get his mojo back. 

He's done okay considering the budgetary constraints but feel  the label "incredible" to be a bit over the top.

Since taking over from Holt in November 2020 the team hit a purple patch until February after which they hardly won a game. However the credit they got in the winter was enough to make 6th place.

For 21/22 he managed 7th place due the an atrocious second half of the season. For 22/23 we managed to scrape 8th place.

This season only a miracle will stop us from getting 12th.

As for signings these haven't been exactly top notch either. Since the 21/22 season (the first one where he was manager for the full season) there's only been one play coming in (not as part of a player swap) who really deserves to be here - Stephen Kelly although I'd also include Jamie Brandon if he hadnt been so injury prone.

Other than that he's signed:

2022/23

Scott Bitsindou     Lierse    Free
 Phillip Cancar     Western Sydney Wanderers    Free
 Esmaël Gonçalves     Sheikh Russel    Free
 Dylan Bahamboula     Oldham Athletic    Free
 Shamal George     Colchester United    Undisclosed
 Jack Hamilton     Greenock Morton    Free
 Kurtis Guthrie     RoundGlass Punjab    Free
 Steven Bradley     Hibernian    Undisclosed
 Luiyi de Lucas   FC Haka    Free

2021/22

Christian Montaño     Port Vale    Free
 Tom Parkes     Exeter City    Free
 Ayo Obileye     Queen of the South    Free
 Harrison Clark     Chester-le-Street United         Free
 Joel Nouble     Aldershot Town    Free
 Andrew Shinnie     Charlton Athletic    Free
 Sean Kelly     Falkirk    Free
 Harry Panayiotou     Aldershot Town    Free
 Stéphane Oméonga     Pescara    Free
 Morgan Boyes     Liverpool    Free
 Ivan Konovalov     Rubin Kazan    Free

This season we have Yengi and Sangari looks like there might be a player in there. No ideal about Lawel and Teto.

Unfortunately we have consistently been losing good players and not replacing them.

Edited by Durnford

20 minutes ago, Durnford said:

He's done okay considering the budgetary constraints but feel  the label "incredible" to be a bit over the top.

Since taking over from Holt in November 2020 the team hit a purple patch until February after which they hardly won a game. However the credit they got in the winter was enough to make 6th place.

For 21/22 he managed 7th place due the an atrocious second half of the season. For 22/23 we managed to scrape 8th place.

This season only a miracle will stop us from getting 12th.

As for signings these haven't been exactly top notch either. Since the 21/22 season (the first one where he was manager for the full season) there's only been one play coming in (not as part of a player swap) who really deserves to be here - Stephen Kelly although I'd also include Jamie Brandon if he hadnt been so injury prone.

Other than that he's signed:

2022/23

Scott Bitsindou     Lierse    Free
 Phillip Cancar     Western Sydney Wanderers    Free
 Esmaël Gonçalves     Sheikh Russel    Free
 Dylan Bahamboula     Oldham Athletic    Free
 Shamal George     Colchester United    Undisclosed
 Jack Hamilton     Greenock Morton    Free
 Kurtis Guthrie     RoundGlass Punjab    Free
 Steven Bradley     Hibernian    Undisclosed
 Luiyi de Lucas   FC Haka    Free

2021/22

Christian Montaño     Port Vale    Free
 Tom Parkes     Exeter City    Free
 Ayo Obileye     Queen of the South    Free
 Harrison Clark     Chester-le-Street United         Free
 Joel Nouble     Aldershot Town    Free
 Andrew Shinnie     Charlton Athletic    Free
 Sean Kelly     Falkirk    Free
 Harry Panayiotou     Aldershot Town    Free
 Stéphane Oméonga     Pescara    Free
 Morgan Boyes     Liverpool    Free
 Ivan Konovalov     Rubin Kazan    Free

This season we have Yengi and Sangari looks like there might be a player in there. No ideal about Lawel and Teto.

Unfortunately we have consistently been losing good players and not replacing them.

Yeah i was including his influence under Hoppy and Holt too, Martindale was signing players after Hoppy left, and before Miller, then Holt got appointed, i think he has to be credited a lot for our success in the seasons before he became manager in his own right. Along with the backroom staff, Martindale kept things virtually seamless from Hoppy to Holt, via Miller's short spell.

It started going downhill the 2nd half of last season but we'd done well enough the 1st half to still finish comfortably up. And this season has been a continuation of how we finished the season.

3 hours ago, Flatulent Gannet said:

A gentleman, thank you sir.

pip pip

You would also be welcome in the Almondvale Suite under the South Stand pre match for a Martini or two old chap.And there's hot food available too.Unfortunatly no prawn sandwiches though.🤣👍.

5 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

You would also be welcome in the Almondvale Suite under the South Stand pre match for a Martini or two old chap.And there's hot food available too.Unfortunatly no prawn sandwiches though.🤣👍.

Langoustines and a bottle of 2004 Leroy Domaine d'Auvenay Criots-Batard-Montrachet Grand Cru for me please..

Chin Chin