Euro 2024 Expectations

Euro 2024 Expectations  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations ahead of the tournament

• No Expectations
    • We’ve already met my expectations by qualifying. Anything else is a bonus.
    • To perform well, be competitive and not embarrass ourselves having made the tournament.
    • To qualify from the group.
    • To reach the later stages of the Tournament.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/05/24 at 21:00

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Also this, can everyone just stop for a minute and remember we are not the Scotland under Strachan or Vogts. We actually have quality players all over the park who play for top clubs, f**k me some of them even have some medals to their name.  We don't have the depth of squad that tier 1 nations have and we are prone to a few howlers from time to time. But we are actually capable of topping the group. I'm not saying we will. but we are a good side

We are and we should be looking to progress from the group.

As will Hungary and Switzerland, and whoever of the 3 doesn't will have underperformed and be criticised. Thats football and why they get the big bucks.

I had a thought this morning that because we're in the first group to finish, we could have an agonising wait to see if we qualify should we finish in 3rd spot in the group. After clinching qualification while not playing, I'd rather we do it on the park and give the fans/players the chance to celebrate together.

13 minutes ago, microdave said:

I had a thought this morning that because we're in the first group to finish, we could have an agonising wait to see if we qualify should we finish in 3rd spot in the group. After clinching qualification while not playing, I'd rather we do it on the park and give the fans/players the chance to celebrate together.

Flip side of that is even if we go into the final game with no points, a win might see us through so highly unlikely to be a dead rubber given we finish our group first.

19 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Flip side of that is even if we go into the final game with no points, a win might see us through so highly unlikely to be a dead rubber given we finish our group first.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Looking at it as objectively as possibly, for every 100 attempts we have at qualifying out of our group I reckon we make it about 65 times.

Beyond that there are far too many variables.

There's so much scope for random variation in a 3-game group I could see us finishing in any of the positions. It could work for or against us. I think it's a slightly more difficult group to get 3rd place in than Euro 2020 because while neither Switzerland or Hungary are tougher than Croatia, they're both better than the Czech Republic were. It balances the group out, but makes it a bit harder. 

WeGlobal have Scotland at 46% to qualify based on 2,500 attempts. That's close to where I sit. Hungary [69%], Switzerland [60%] and Germany [92%] to qualify from the group. I think that's fair enough. The teams we're up against have performed at a higher level than Scotland, for longer. There's not a huge amount when comparing all four teams that point towards Scotland being better than any of them.

https://x.com/We_Global/status/1793305789626507726

As a team we have to perform at a level higher in a 10 day period than we've ever shown. 

We have shown that we can beat top teams in Europe, but the games are going to be in 10 days really so it’s about doing that consistently over the course of three games, so It’ll be tough.

Ryan Porteous

Other Nations also have good squads and when you get to that level of competition you have to get everything right. Not just nearly everything right, you have to get everything right – so over the course of three matches you have to get everything right to get the required amount of points to come out the group and that’s what Scotland teams haven’t been able to do in the past and hopefully moving forward we can be the first squad of players to do that.

Steve Clarke

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Correct. It's no surprised that half the Scotland squad have played for Celtic at some point.

If or when McInnes comes in the caps will go to the other side.

Quite right mate, very clear 'Celtic minded' bias in there 🙄

Members of the Scottish Squad to have played for Celtic at some point (11):
Craig Gordon
Jack Hendry
Anthony Ralston
Andy Robertson
*Greg Taylor
Kieran Tierney
Stuart Armstrong
Ryan Christie
Callum McGregor
Ben Doak
James Forrest

Members of the Scottish Squad to have played for Rangers at some point (8):
Liam Kelly
Grant Hanley
Ross McCrorie
John Souttar
*Greg Taylor
Billy Gilmour
Ryan Jack
Kenny McLean

Members of the Scotland Squad to have played for neither at any point (10):
Zander Clark
Angus Gunn
Liam Cooper
Scott McKenna
Ryan Porteous
John McGinn
Scott McTominay
Che Adams
Lyndon Dykes
Lawrence Shankland

6 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Surely you would have an expectation for us to gain at least a point though?

Not sure I'd call it an "expectation". By law of averages I don't think we'll lose or win every game. But we might.

Little point in me setting targets; I don't think I'm greatly influential.

6 minutes ago, allyo said:

East Fife is not well represented.  I wonder if the relative quality of these clubs' teams is an influencing factor.

We've got Liam Kelly

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Quite right mate, very clear 'Celtic minded' bias in there 🙄

Members of the Scottish Squad to have played for Celtic at some point (11):
Craig Gordon
Jack Hendry
Anthony Ralston
Andy Robertson
*Greg Taylor
Kieran Tierney
Stuart Armstrong
Ryan Christie
Callum McGregor
Ben Doak
James Forrest

Members of the Scottish Squad to have played for Rangers at some point (8):
Liam Kelly
Grant Hanley
Ross McCrorie
John Souttar
*Greg Taylor
Billy Gilmour
Ryan Jack
Kenny McLean

Members of the Scotland Squad to have played for neither at any point (10):
Zander Clark
Angus Gunn
Liam Cooper
Scott McKenna
Ryan Porteous
John McGinn
Scott McTominay
Che Adams
Lyndon Dykes
Lawrence Shankland

Quite a few ex clubs represented  there outside the 2 arse cheeks.

Bits 'n' Pieces but shite and with some fanny flatly mumbling over the top of it.

We have many folk on here who could do better. Bit surprised Div hasn't attempted to assemble a P&B supergroup - probably "busy" with things like "work" and "family"  :rolleyes:

I think these are all the clubs in spfl represented in the squad as 'previous or current' clubs

Celtic

Hearts

St Johnstone

Elgin

Queen of the South

Rangers 

East Fife

Livingston 

Motherwell

Queens Park

Dundee Utd

Aberdeen

Ayr Utd

Alloa

Partick

Dundee

Kilmarnock

Hibs

Edinburgh City

Dumbarton 

St Mirren

Inverness

Arbroath

Dunfermline

Morton

The only premier league club with zero representation is Ross County. 

Raith and Airdrie the only ones from Championship that miss out 

Falkirk, Hamilton, Montrose, Cove, Kelty, Annan and Stirling from League 1 

Everyone from League Two barring East Fife  Dumbarton and Elgin

10 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I think these are all the clubs in spfl represented in the squad as 'previous or current' clubs

Queen of the South

We have THREE ex QoS players in the squad. And another two were in the short list that didnt quite make it. Quite remarkable really.

I see Steve Clarke has said that to reach Round 2 would be the first aim as it's something we've never done previously, which is a sllght massaging of the facts because whilst it's true that we've never qaulified beyond the first round proper in the World Cup or the Euros, we did reach the final 8 in Europe in 1992.

Round 2 would see us match our Euro 1996 performance of last 16.

Personally, I don't think the last 8 is realistic this time around, the last 16 feasible I suppose but we haven't resolved the issues we have at the heart of our defence, and the strike force in the squad must be one of the weakest in the tournament at this level.

Add to the equation that we face the Germans in the first match which might also affect morale if they land a sore one on us.

Consequently, alas, I fear another Round 1 exit.

On 24/05/2024 at 07:58, Skyline Drifter said:

We have THREE ex QoS players in the squad. And another two were in the short list that didnt quite make it. Quite remarkable really.

Quite remarkable or a stark example of the resources available to us.

Although, being an Aberdeen supporter, I still wake up with sweat on my brow, screaming and hallucinating of Jackie McNamara smirking at the mere thought of anything related to QoTS.

On 24/05/2024 at 07:45, Quentin Taranbino said:

Celtic

Hearts

St Johnstone

Elgin

Queen of the South

Rangers 

East Fife

Livingston 

Motherwell

Queens Park

Dundee Utd

Aberdeen

Ayr Utd

Alloa

Partick

Dundee

Kilmarnock

Hibs

Edinburgh City

Dumbarton 

St Mirren

Inverness

Arbroath

Dunfermline

Morton

The only premier league club with zero representation is Ross County. 

Raith and Airdrie the only ones from Championship that miss out 

Falkirk, Hamilton, Montrose, Cove, Kelty, Annan and Stirling from League 1 

Everyone from League Two barring East Fife  Dumbarton and Elgin

On the teams with zero representation, how many play on plastic pitches? 😜