Euro 2024 Expectations

Euro 2024 Expectations  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations ahead of the tournament

• No Expectations
    • We’ve already met my expectations by qualifying. Anything else is a bonus.
    • To perform well, be competitive and not embarrass ourselves having made the tournament.
    • To qualify from the group.
    • To reach the later stages of the Tournament.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/05/24 at 21:00

Posted (edited)

Form is basically looking at things from a results perspective. No context (read excuses) applied.

If form was so important then no team would be able to turn their results around. Scotland have been on good and bad runs of form and have always managed to turn it for better or worse. 

If we beat Gibraltar and Finland are we back on form? It's a daft concept IMO. We're in a tough period as fans, but it'll turn again.

Don't understand why fans and media buy into it. 

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Form is basically looking at things from a results perspective. No context (read excuses) applied.

If form was so important then no team would be able to turn their results around. Scotland have been on good and bad runs of form and have always managed to turn it for better or worse. 

If we beat Gibraltar and Finland are we back on form? It's a daft concept IMO. We're in a tough period as fans, but it'll turn again.

Also the managers and the players buy into it, they don't have a clue eh🤣

Your more likely to be confident and win if thats what you have been doing recently. Your more likely to play bad and lose if thats what you have been doing recently. Its very simple.

Edited by Bing.McCrosby

10 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Your more likely to be confident and win if thats what you have been doing recently. Your more likely to play bad and lose if thats what you have been doing recently. Its very simple.

I don't think that bears out tbh. Teams that do well in preseason and do shit thereafter or vice versa. Football is littered with examples of form changing. Form is temporary, class is permanent isnt that the saying?

In other words form isn't a deciding factor. maybe contributory, but given a lot of focus - more than it deserves that's for fucking sure. Other factors are more important.

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I think you should know fine well that there's no chance we can all agree on pretty much anything.

I disagree.

18 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't think that bears out tbh. Teams that do well in preseason and do shit thereafter or vice versa. Football is littered with examples of form changing. Form is temporary, class is permanent isnt that the saying?

In other words form isn't a deciding factor. maybe contributory, but given a lot of focus - more than it deserves that's for fucking sure. Other factors are more important.

Yes I said "more likely"

5 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

We won't beat Finland and we'll produce one of the most formidable stanks at the tournament itself.

For clarity, I mean stank in the pejorative.

Ill be there looking out for someone in a gant polo shirt pissing themselves laughing 👊

4 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Yes I said "more likely"

An unknowable then. It's a bogus idea. Could have a bearing, a significant bearing, hardly any bearing or no impact. Who the f**k knows. Utter shite.

That's probably why it has traction. Hard to disprove. 

Just now, 2426255 said:

An unknowable then. It's a bogus idea. Could have a bearing, a significant bearing, hardly any bearing or no impact. Who the f**k knows. Utter shite.

That's probably why it has traction. Hard to disprove. 

I get the feeling that you have never played any competitive sport.

7 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

swing and a miss. its an old argument this anyway im going to call it a night.

The Finns are on a bit of a poor run themselves, for a side who were OK a few years ago. Of course, they skelped Norn Iron recently, but you have to be really shite not to cuff them comfortably.

Gibraltar have gone twelve games without scoring a goal, and conceded an average of four goals per game during that time. Obviously this means that they'll score at least once, and we'll score fewer than four. In the absence of Steven Fletcher, perhaps time for Che to knock in a couple; it's been a while.

26 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

swing and a miss. its an old argument this anyway im going to call it a night.

Well you've went from, its alot to shite. To it is a factor, so probably best.

Posters are starting to demonstrate their claimed "decent competitive level" credentials to add gravitas to forum opinions.

Always nice to see such posturing as we get close to the business end of the season. 😂

On 05/05/2024 at 17:48, Butters Scotch said:

What's so interesting? I've played with him and against him at youth professional level then watched him at United in the championship each week then again on the live games on Sky etc more el recently for hibs and county so I've seen my fair share of him.

5 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

"Form is basically looking at things from a results perspective" is just a very simplistic viewpoint.

Form is something intangible, a state of mind, either feeling confidence in your own ability or not, it is usually 'seen' in a player's/team's current performance. You can have the team lose but then a player being bang on form, etc etc. If each player is on good form and doing his job on the pitch then usually it would lead to a better team performance playing at their peak. Of course, luck plays a big part in sport too but there is more chance of a team winning if players are playing at their peak levels (when playing against similar quality of team of course).

Edited by Butters Scotch

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

"Form is basically looking at things from a results perspective" is just a very simplistic viewpoint.

Form is something intangible, a state of mind, either feeling confidence in your own ability or not, it is usually 'seen' in a player's/team's current performance. You can have the team lose but then a player being bang on form, etc etc. If each player is on good form and doing his job on the pitch then usually it would lead to a better team performance playing at their peak. Of course, luck plays a big part in sport too but there is more chance of a team winning if players are playing at their peak levels.

The discussion was about whether Scotland's winless run or Scotland's 'form' will make a jot of difference to the upcoming games in June. Team form is literally based solely on results with no other factors or context considered - That's how it's measured. 

Here's a question for you. If we win against Gibraltar and Finland will we be going into the tournament with form? if so, then what difference did the last 6 months of not winning make in terms of form?

Edited by 2426255

14 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Our defence dealt with Haaland well in Oslo. Odegaard had a stinker.

In Glasgow, our makeshift defence was poor against the side they put out. 

Is it really so outrageous to say we missed our four starting players more than they missed their two?

Until Norway scored against in Oslo they were dominant in the game and had created loads of chances. They were in total control. We tend to look at that game from our perspective but really, Norway Hibsed it. After they scored they changed formation and tactics, replacing Solbakken with Berge, a defensive midfielder, and sat in to hold the lead. That's a bloody stupid thing to do against Scotland, who are at their best on the front foot. They even took off Haaland in a triple change 10 minutes before the end. They completely Hibsed it.

Haaland is often quiet in games until he scores. He still won the penalty and left the pitch with his side 1-0 up.

None of this is relevant now of course, or to the discussion on the thread.

5 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Posters are starting to demonstrate their claimed "decent competitive level" credentials to add gravitas to forum opinions.

Always nice to see such posturing as we get close to the business end of the season. 😂

Believe it or not, I'm stating facts in that I know the guy personally and seen him up close etc. Nothing to do with me "posturing". 

Murray can be very useful at the SPFL level clearly by the goals he has scored for County but the defensive abilities in this league are frankly attrocious. You see this everytime one of our teams goes plays some other minnow in europe and we end up getting pumped out of the qualifiers by a team no one has ever heard of.

Murray's all around game is certainly not good enough for international level, I can't even believe he's being touted as a super sub on here.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

The discussion was about whether Scotland's winless run or Scotland's 'form' will make a jot of difference to the upcoming games in June. Team form is literally based solely on results with no other factors or context considered - That's how it's measured. 

Here's a question for you. If we win against Gibraltar and Finland will we be going into the tournament with form? if so, then what difference did the last 6 months of not winning make in terms of form?

It's open to debate but it's certainly no a load of shite as you've put it previously.

Form is not black and white, it's one of many indicators of a teams current level of performance. However, surely you'd want your team to be going into the tournament prepared and confident in our tactics, formation, trust for your teamates, trust in your own ability, belief that we can go out and beat the other teams etc. If there is any self-doubt due to the recent losses then this will have a negative impact on the team more likely than not (not saying this is the case as we seem to have a strong mentality).

To answer your question, if we lose or draw to either then we 100% would be a on a bad run of form, we're already not on a great run of form at the moment as but it's not terrible either taking all things into consideration. If we win both then no, we should not be classed as being in good form as you have to take the level of competition in as a factor. It's not as straightforward as you seem to suggest here.