Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

13 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

I don't think it's the number of game the Championship teams have to play, especially teams who finish 3rd and 4th, that's  the issue. 

It's the timescale overwhich the games, particularly the final thats the problem.. For example, playing Ross County last year on the Thursday and having 2 days to recover prior to playing them again on the Sunday is just not long enough enough.

The  schedule to play the SPL team should be Tuesday (1st leg) and Sunday (2nd leg?).

Ross County had the same recovery time as you though?

11 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Just remembered as well; Brian Graham winning several crucial defensive headers in our own box 😍🥰

I dont even think they were all from set pieces either, sometimes from open play and him going back to help out wherever he could. What a man.

He's the 🐐

• Claudia Gentile changed the title to Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

I’ve always felt quite relaxed about these play-offs, with little expectation of getting through three rounds, so not too disappointed with last night. It feels a lot easier to take than the 8 other play-off defeats I’ve seen, there’s a lot to be said for not having the threat of being stuck in League One. It’s never fun to lose a play-off but it was two fantastic games and as we saw over the season, two good teams with not much between them but Thistle just having the edge. Said it elsewhere but if you put Brian Graham in that Airdrie team they win that game.

I enjoyed the McMillan/Hancock and Megwa/Milne battles over both games, for me they’re the best full-back pairs in the  league. Megwa and Hancock were the clear winners on Tuesday night but I thought Milne was excellent last night, particularly in the first half. 

Interesting stat that Thistle never had a corner over both games, that probably doesn’t happen too often. We had loads and while most didn’t go anywhere a few were pretty close, Ballantyne in the first leg and Fordyce rattling the bar in the second. Suppose that’s the fine margins you get in tight games.

If megwa was to go back out on loan then I don’t see why it wouldn’t be to airdrie. Hibs seem to be fans of putting loan players to us

7 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

I fully expect Raith to beat us - they’ve had our number this season and we looked dead on our feet at the end of both legs against Airdrie.

I’m genuinely not arsed if we fail to go up this season. I don’t think we’re ready and I can’t be arsed with VAR, games against the OF and shite kick-off times. I just didn’t want Airdrie to be the team to put us out. 

I am not sure any championship club is ready to be promoted-even Dundee Utd have let 15 players go from their squad. 

6 hours ago, Exiledjag said:

I don't think it's the number of game the Championship teams have to play, especially teams who finish 3rd and 4th, that's  the issue. 

It's the timescale overwhich the games, particularly the final thats the problem.. For example, playing Ross County last year on the Thursday and having 2 days to recover prior to playing them again on the Sunday is just not long enough enough.

The  schedule to play the SPL team should be Tuesday (1st leg) and Sunday (2nd leg?).

It’s the same for them though. And there is almost a week between the semi final and the 1st leg of the final for the championship club, whereas I think the premiership team only has 4 days after their last league game.

8 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

It’s the same for them though. And there is almost a week between the semi final and the 1st leg of the final for the championship club, whereas I think the premiership team only has 4 days after their last league game.

Yes.

Partick play on the 10th, 14th, 17th, then 23rd, 26th for the Final.

We play 11th, 15th, 19th, then 23rd, 26th for the Final.

Quite how Partick would be getting less recovery time and playing more matches in the build up is a confusing one, for sure.

I still think the play offs should be 2nd v 3rd, as that leaves everyone on 38 games before the final. Involving the side who finishes 4th in a 10 team division is what makes 3rd have to play more games in total.

Posted (edited)

Don't understand Graham's comments last night about Raith 'sitting with their feet up'. Raith have earned that right through 36 games in the league, if Partick didn't want a tough quarter final they should have finished higher up the league.

Teams that finish 3rd and 4th in the Championship do not deserve the same opportunity as they haven't earned it over the season. 3rd or 4th in a 10 team league shouldn't be enough to earn a promotion therefore they should have to go through a harder schedule to get promoted. That bit is entirely fair.

The team that gets done over by the play-offs is the 2nd place team in my opinion, them having to play 2 ties while their equivalents (2nd bottom in league above) only have 1 tie is unfair.

But the 3rd/4th place don't have anything to moan about, if sporting fairness was any kind of consideration then those 2 teams wouldn't even have a shot at promotion to begin with, they get a shot because it creates great drama like last night.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes.

Partick play on the 10th, 14th, 17th, then 23rd, 26th for the Final.

We play 11th, 15th, 19th, then 23rd, 26th for the Final.

Quite how Partick would be getting less recovery time and playing more matches in the build up is a confusing one, for sure.

I still think the play offs should be 2nd v 3rd, as that leaves everyone on 38 games before the final. Involving the side who finishes 4th in a 10 team division is what makes 3rd have to play more games in total.

We also played on the 7th obviously. 

It's hard to go up from 3rd or 4th but it should be. 

The main issues are the intensity of the games, with the exception of County next week, likely most of Saints games between now and the end of the season, while clearly big games, will not have the same intensity as last night, with the opposition throwing everything at you until the last kick of the ball. Factor in the possibility of extra time too and it's a hell of a lot to go through. That said, going up from 3rd or 4th in a 10 team league should be difficult. 

I think one off games for 2nd v 3rd and 3rd v 4th would be preferable but the playoffs presumably earn the SPFL some decent money, and there's no doubt they're fantastic entertainment and bring attention to the league. The SPFL team shouldn't automatically get the second leg at home either, it's a minor point but no need for it. 

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Don't understand Graham's comments last night about Raith 'sitting with their feet up'. Raith have earned that right through 36 games in the league, if Partick didn't want a tough quarter final they should have finished higher up the league.

Teams that finish 3rd and 4th in the Championship do not deserve the same opportunity as they haven't earned it over the season. 3rd or 4th in a 10 team league shouldn't be enough to earn a promotion therefore they should have to go through a harder schedule to get promoted. That bit is entirely fair.

The team that gets done over by the play-offs is the 2nd place team in my opinion, them having to play 2 ties while their equivalents (2nd bottom in league above) only have 1 tie is unfair.

But the 3rd/4th place don't have anything to moan about, if sporting fairness was any kind of consideration then those 2 teams wouldn't even have a shot at promotion to begin with, they get a shot because it creates great drama like last night.

Graham was also suggesting that they looked like they might catch us in the league at one point, but the closest they got was about 6 or 7 points.

Given the differences in the number of games the top flight and second tier clubs play, you're always going to struggle to n find a better solution than what's on offer just now. 

Last season had it been two up and two down the final day in the championship would've been carnage. The advantage of finishing second offered absolutely nothing for Ayr United. 

We've finished fourth, third and second at different points and there's advantages and disadvantages to each spot. It's a common issue for the second place club to want a bounce game on the Saturday when the 3rd and 4th place playoff is on, but every other team is on holiday. 

Posted (edited)

Second still gave Aye an advantage - that’s true irrespective of the fact that we roasted them. 

ETA: and as it should btw - doesn’t matter the points total, they finished above us. I understand the issues, but I really like the way the playoffs are just now. Only change id make is to have the final as a one off game at a neutral venue. 

Edited by Mediocre Pundit

27 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

The main issues are the intensity of the games, with the exception of County next week, likely most of Saints games between now and the end of the season, while clearly big games, will not have the same intensity as last night, with the opposition throwing everything at you until the last kick of the ball.

They should be that intense for us, which will encourage opponents to match it. Livingston are always like that, the County game is huge, then Motherwell as a club have a strange hate on us for Bair being shite at us and I'm 99% certain will be desperate to put us in the play off with him starring.

Either way you could be out on your arse and still hit the final with more intensity than us. Confidence is completely gone from the squad while yours will just increase. 

22 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Given the differences in the number of games the top flight and second tier clubs play, you're always going to struggle to n find a better solution than what's on offer just now. 

11th/12th down. 1st up.

2nd v 3rd in a play off.

I think that's the ideal?

It seems too easy for absolute shite in the top flight to stink the place out for years by simply spawning a win v a Championship side who overthink it every few years.

I don’t think the playoff scheduling is really an issue at all, Brian Graham (:wub:) just loves a moan and definitely has a chip on his shoulder about the SPFL.

I think the thing that might cost us is that a good chunk of our squad have been playing for 2 years straight with essentially no time off since we didn’t stop for the World Cup last season but were playing until June and then back again in July this season. No wonder some of them look fucked. 

Posting this before catching up but I enjoyed the two games and it was striking ability that mattered in the end.

Been our best season in decades so thanks to Rhys, Dicey on his 200th appearance, and all the squad. 

Thistle will be a challenge to Raith and I can't choose between them. In many ways I hope either of them relegates the 9th place team as it breaks up the comfy top Division. 

When's the season tickets out? I'll just need to suffer  the Euros.