Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

Remember the good old days at Thistle, many a good 'battle' over the years,  open terracing behind the goal, in the shed with the luvvies just through the fence,  was always a day to look forward to as an away fan,   now shoehorned into the old main stand with restricted view, little legroom and basic facilities, probably the worst away day nowadays....

Can't argue with any of the comments re the Colin Weir Stand .Old Stand that needs a full refurbishment. I might be wrong but think this is under way with new windows being put in only a couple of weeks ago so you'll have at least some nice windaes to look out of when queuing for you pie and bovril .

Posted (edited)

I think Partick will have enough over the 2 games. But one thing that gives us more chance is having the first leg at home. It worked for us in both games last year, particularly the Falkirk one (although not expecting quite the same scoreline...). I know in theory 2nd leg at home is meant to be advantageous but I think when you are the underdog you're better being at home first which should mean that at worst you are still in the tie going into the 2nd leg, and ideally creating a nervy 2nd leg for the home crowd. Partick themselves are a good example of that last year, I think they were at home first in all 3 games? And bar a late collapse would have won all 3 ties comfortably. When you're away first there's a real chance that you are out the tie before you even get your home game, as our recent trip to Firhill would suggest.

I'm hopeful we can sneak a win on Tuesday, or even a draw, and then make a great game of it on Friday. Should both be good games though.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Posted (edited)

Personally, I hope we win. 

Think it was missing accomplished for both teams last night, damage limitation and no injuries. 

Been two tough games in Airdrie so far. 

Edited by Fuctifano

It's a tricky one.  The second half collapse a couple of weeks ago was dreadful, but we'd probably had the better of it in the first half of that game, and it's hard to see us being quite so bad again - especially with Frizz and Ballantyne available.   If there is to be a team running up a score it'll be Thistle, as I we're not really able to blow teams away like we could last season.  Our impressive record has mostly been wins which are tight on paper but pretty comfortable on the park. 

Thistle and Dundee United have been the best teams we've played in the league - obviously Raith have been far ahead of Thistle, but we've had the better of our games with them much as Ayr have obviously been objectively poor but still beat us four times.  I can see us winning by a goal on Tuesday, but I don't fancy our chances defending a one goal lead at Firhill, and Thistle should have enough over the two legs.

Obviously we've massively outperformed expectations this year, and the general feeling with most fans I speak with is that it'd be too much too soon for us to go up this year, but obviously we'll be right up for it as soon as the first whistle goes, and if come Friday we're holding out with a one goal lead and five minutes to go of course none of us will be saying, "I hope Thistle score now, we're not really ready to go up."

The underdog role probably suits us, but the underdogs are underdogs for a reason. 

Josh Rae still missing is a big concern for us, McCabe also unlikely to feature and obviously McStravick so hopefully no new injuries from last night. Telfer & McMaster not in the squad last night but hopefully they were only rested.

Keeping the oldest player on the park (Brian Graham) quiet will be key for us to progress.

Diamonds need to be at full strength on Tuesday and Friday, but I'm glad we've made the play offs and exceeded what most of us expected in late December.

I'll be optimistic and say we'll still be in with a chance on Friday.

I'd just like to go on record as saying....regarding the playoffs.... I genuinely don't give 2 f*cks what happens. Aye, I'm an Airdrie fan and obviously I want to win, but see if we'd secured 8th last night, I'd still be enjoying my Saturday night just the same.

Hopefully a bit of excitement with it all to play for on Friday ♦️

Really looking forward to these 2 games in the next week.

As much as Airdrie have bossed Raith this season I have enjoyed watching them whether it’s been against Raith or on TV with them always playing quite attractive football.

Expecting good games and a fair few goals. Think Partick might just have too much for Airdrie over the 2 legs though.

3-2 Partick with a big rammy late on resulting in straight reds for Aidan Fitzpatrick and Brian Graham.

9 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

It's a tricky one.  The second half collapse a couple of weeks ago was dreadful, but we'd probably had the better of it in the first half of that game, and it's hard to see us being quite so bad again - especially with Frizz and Ballantyne available.   If there is to be a team running up a score it'll be Thistle, as I we're not really able to blow teams away like we could last season.  Our impressive record has mostly been wins which are tight on paper but pretty comfortable on the park. 

Thistle and Dundee United have been the best teams we've played in the league - obviously Raith have been far ahead of Thistle, but we've had the better of our games with them much as Ayr have obviously been objectively poor but still beat us four times.  I can see us winning by a goal on Tuesday, but I don't fancy our chances defending a one goal lead at Firhill, and Thistle should have enough over the two legs.

Obviously we've massively outperformed expectations this year, and the general feeling with most fans I speak with is that it'd be too much too soon for us to go up this year, but obviously we'll be right up for it as soon as the first whistle goes, and if come Friday we're holding out with a one goal lead and five minutes to go of course none of us will be saying, "I hope Thistle score now, we're not really ready to go up."

The underdog role probably suits us, but the underdogs are underdogs for a reason. 

Spot on. Think we might get the draw or sneak a 1-0 win on Tuesday night but our away record is poor - 2nd worst in the league I believe so heart says go but the head says no, we'll be be playing Championship football next season. 

But...anything can happen, and it's a great opportunity for the players and the club, so...🤔

1 hour ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Spot on. Think we might get the draw or sneak a 1-0 win on Tuesday night but our away record is poor - 2nd worst in the league I believe so heart says go but the head says no, we'll be be playing Championship football next season. 

But...anything can happen, and it's a great opportunity for the players and the club, so...🤔

Our away record was bad but  I think Arbroath, Morton are below us and Dunfermline are equal. Those wins at Tannadice, Raith and Dunfermline turned it around. But you're right to be concerned. Roll on Tuesday if not Friday! ♦️😃

Just noticed that the other two playoff teams are the only two teams in the league whose pitches are artificial. Our pitch has been poor this season, in the Ayr game even with the grass grown back it looked bumpy as f**k.

22 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

This "we're just plucky little Airdrie with no right to be here" stuff is absolute shitebag behaviour.

Aye I tend to agree. Whilst we were expected to go down, we have consistently showed that, on our day, we are as good as anyone in the league. With ballantyne coming back then it should let us go back to the formation which helped us win the last few games to secure the play off, including beating Raith away. I am Not overly confident but stranger things have happened. 

21 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Aye I tend to agree. Whilst we were expected to go down, we have consistently showed that, on our day, we are as good as anyone in the league. With ballantyne coming back then it should let us go back to the formation which helped us win the last few games to secure the play off, including beating Raith away. I am Not overly confident but stranger things have happened. 

So barring any unforeseen injuries it looks like we'll line up:

Hemfrey

Watson Fordyce Ballantyne

McMaster 

Megwa Telfer Frizzell Hancock

Todorov McGill

Lyall & McGregor perhaps unlucky to be left out but they'll definitely be used at some point.