Simon Murray for Scotland (super sub, perhaps?)

I actually said the other day that if we picked our squads like Italy do then he'd probably end up going - they always seem to have some jobber who happens to have scored a bunch of goals in Serie A in the season before the tournament.

Simon Murray is a headless chicken and cannae control or pass the ball, no way he would make the step up from here. It says more about the leagues defensive abilities than anything else that he has got the goals tally he has now. 

13 hours ago, Sonam said:

I think he should be considered anyway...

When I saw this, my immediate reaction was to post that gif of Malcolm Tucker appearing to come over all dizzy. I didn’t because that is an unkind thing to do and you only have to look at the impact Lyndon Dykes had, to see that it could work.

Both have done it against Raith Rovers, so both are decent enough in my lower league football eyes.

Let’s go Italian 🇮🇹. Get on the plane simple Simon.

11 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Simon Murray is a headless chicken and cannae control or pass the ball, no way he would make the step up from here. It says more about the leagues defensive abilities than anything else that he has got the goals tally he has now. 

Mmmm , interesting 

The case has been building for months. Shankland's on the slide and Murray's on the rise in terms of goal-scoring form.

On 15/04/2024 at 20:40, 2426255 said:

I think Simon Murray deserves a crack ahead of Armstrong. He's been banging them in for County and with Fergie out the picture this is his chance I believe to come into the squad and show us all what he can do. We need goalscorers and Murray certainly is that. 

• Armstrong: 6 goals in 33.
  • Murray: 11 goals in 32.

He doesn't just do it against the duffers of the league (Dundee etc) he can do it against the big boys like we saw yesterday where showed that killer instinct that we are sorely lacking. And if that wasn't enough his link up play is fantastic, he's full of confidence - the boy is absolutely flying.

I'd start him against Germany and that's no joke - he's the in-form Scottish striker. He's scored 4 in his last 5, compared to Shankland who's only managed a poor 1 in his last 5 (a penalty). 

CASE CLOSED

Simon Murray must replace Shankland in the squad who has lost all of his form and therefore confidence. Shankland hasn't scored a goal other than the one penalty in months. Murray's the in-form Scottish striker. His link up play has been great too. We need to see what the boy can do and get a close look at him in squad. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

When I saw this, my immediate reaction was to post that gif of Malcolm Tucker appearing to come over all dizzy. I didn’t because that is an unkind thing to do and you only have to look at the impact Lyndon Dykes had, to see that it could work.

Both have done it against Raith Rovers, so both are decent enough in my lower league football eyes.

Let’s go Italian 🇮🇹. Get on the plane simple Simon.

Did Dykes actually do much against Raith Rovers over the piece?

A decent performance in the play-off final first leg, I suppose.  He still missed a sitter that would have totally put the tie out of reach though.

Of course we were only in the play-offs at all due to his persistent failure in front of goal.

Simon Murray has been excellent for Ross County.  His tireless work ethic, his strength and his insane ability to make an utter nuisance of himself has been invaluable for County.  If something was to happen to Dykes he would be a ready made replacement.  I think he would be more of a Steve Clarke player than Shankland, but clearly Shankland is the better player.  With 26 in the squad he might make it if he can keep scoring.

1 hour ago, SpiderDee said:

The fact that some of you are being serious is quite laughable. He is shite

He's in great form tho. his link up play is excellent too. Clarke simply cannot ignore that given the dearth of striking options. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did Dykes actually do much against Raith Rovers over the piece?

A decent performance in the play-off final first leg, I suppose.  He still missed a sitter that would have totally put the tie out of reach though.

Of course we were only in the play-offs at all due to his persistent failure in front of goal.

Are you trying to write-off a boy who has already done it for Scotland?

His performance pretty much won the game for QoS at Starks, which meant we were 3-1 down going into the away leg at Palmerston.

The bold Simon also put us to the sword at Starks when playing for Queen’s Park in a 5-2 win. If Queens Park hadn’t sold him to Ross County I think they would have won the league.

Edited by Scary Bear

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The case has been building for months. Shankland's on the slide and Murray's on the rise in terms of goal-scoring form.

Simon Murray must replace Shankland in the squad who has lost all of his form and therefore confidence. Shankland hasn't scored a goal other than the one penalty in months. Murray's the in-form Scottish striker. His link up play has been great too. We need to see what the boy can do and get a close look at him in squad. 

Those bold and underlined bits should also be capitals.

25 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are you trying to write-off a boy who has already done it for Scotland?

Nope, but I am refusing to totally rewrite what he contributed for Queens on the back of it.

6 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Mmmm , interesting 

What's so interesting? I've played with him and against him at youth professional level then watched him at United in the championship each week then again on the live games on Sky etc more el recently for hibs and county so I've seen my fair share of him.

16 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

What's so interesting? I've played with him and against him at youth professional level then watched him at United in the championship each week then again on the live games on Sky etc more el recently for hibs and county so I've seen my fair share of him.

"Those who have played to a decent level will know....."

He shouldn’t be called up. However, I always think he is actually quite a good player. He is a pain in the arse to play against and is technically better than most people think. I’m cheering on ross county to finish 10th or above to avoid them being in the play offs. He gets slagged but he consistently scores a decent number of goals. 

20 minutes ago, Aufc said:

He shouldn’t be called up. However, I always think he is actually quite a good player. He is a pain in the arse to play against and is technically better than most people think. I’m cheering on ross county to finish 10th or above to avoid them being in the play offs. He gets slagged but he consistently scores a decent number of goals. 

If he wasn't ginger he wouldn't get slagged anywhere near as much.