CLYDEBANK 2024/2025

28 minutes ago, Shanner said:

I wish someone would specify the "goldilocks zone" for the right amount of money it is proper and decent to spend on a division-by-division basis. If you're going to pull arbitrary moral financial standards out of your arse you might as well pad them out with some detail. "Too much" often just sounds like code for "more than the established pecking order are comfortable with". 

Time will tell if Clydebank upping the spending is a good strategy but I know Samson will be a good addition and make a difference. He's not an especially prolific scorer but others around him will score more because he's there and his quality always stuck out like a sore thumb at this level.

If the ambition is to go for successive promotions then he's the sort of player that will be good enough to provide continuity season after season. That seems like a wise bit of spending to me, whereas If money were being flung at a clapped-out 35-year-old former Premier League journeyman who was there to phone it in for a couple of seasons it would look a lot different. 

Needless to say I hope it all backfires horrifically but I think it might not. 

I'll apologise upfront, but cannot resist this opportunity.

Here's a lovely scenario for all the non Bankie lovers.

You get rid of Clydebank at end of season; rejoice and happiness. No more having to converse with those annoying paper-people.

You look at a table for the prem for next season and your eye catches an unfamiliar name; who is that your brain asks. And then a sickening realisation washes over you as you lip read the name of this mystery club.

B - R - O - O - M - H - I - L - L

Oh please god no it can't be why, why, why us what have we done to have this fate befall us.

Keep a close eye on the Lowland League Table this season.

The nightmare may be coming to our league.

👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

1 minute ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

I'll apologise upfront, but cannot resist this opportunity.

Here's a lovely scenario for all the non Bankie lovers.

You get rid of Clydebank at end of season; rejoice and happiness. No more having to converse with those annoying paper-people.

You look at a table for the prem for next season and your eye catches an unfamiliar name; who is that your brain asks. And then a sickening realisation washes over you as you lip read the name of this mystery club.

B - R - O - O - M - H - I - L - L

Oh please god no it can't be why, why, why us what have we done to have this fate befall us.

Keep a close eye on the Lowland League Table this season.

The nightmare may be coming to our league.

👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹

I'd much rather have Clydebank in this division than Broomhill but at least it would make the LL a more attractive division to play in than the WOSL (to my eye). We'd probably already have passed that tipping point if there had been regular promotions from the WOSL up to now. 

20 hours ago, Eadie is God said:

Imagine a club trying to get promotion,madness I tell you!

If there's one thing I learned the hard way growing up in Ayrshire, it's that aspiration of any kind is bad. It doesn't appear to have changed in the almost four decades since I mercifully escaped.

6 minutes ago, Shanner said:

I'd much rather have Clydebank in this division than Broomhill but at least it would make the LL a more attractive division to play in than the WOSL (to my eye). We'd probably already have passed that tipping point if there had been regular promotions from the WOSL up to now. 

Joking aside; there is a train of thought that Broomhill might just cease to exist if they drop out of Lala land. In truth there would only be one realistic direction of travel for them. The novelty factor will have long since evaporated. Would their finances dissappear and would any west players want to be at a nothing club.

Again Clydebank being the first from the west, so to speak, could be the best scenario. They don't have the long history in non league of other clubs and would probs be best placed to settle into the LL. That would make it less of a shock to the committees/fans of the older clubs in the west to have a familiar face in there when/if they go up.

The sooner moving up and down between tier 5 and 6 is more fluid the better for all the leagues in the pyramid.

Anyway; Broomhill is coming. 😁

Just now, An Absolute Imposter said:

Joking aside; there is a train of thought that Broomhill might just cease to exist if they drop out of Lala land. In truth there would only be one realistic direction of travel for them. The novelty factor will have long since evaporated. Would their finances dissappear and would any west players want to be at a nothing club.

Again Clydebank being the first from the west, so to speak, could be the best scenario. They don't have the long history in non league of other clubs and would probs be best placed to settle into the LL. That would make it less of a shock to the committees/fans of the older clubs in the west to have a familiar face in there when/if they go up.

The sooner moving up and down between tier 5 and 6 is more fluid the better for all the leagues in the pyramid.

Anyway; Broomhill is coming. 😁

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If there's one thing I learned the hard way growing up in Ayrshire, it's that aspiration of any kind is bad. It doesn't appear to have changed in the almost four decades since I mercifully escaped.

In my experience this attitude is spread all over the country.

I have worked in most parts of Scotland and in quite a few areas of England. The amount of Scots I have met down south whom;          1. had to leave to further their career or get a job in their area of expertise if you like.                            2. have almost cut all ties with their home area; either through choice or finding it hard to keep the friend group they had growing up.

I speak from personal experience on both counts. 😪

With the new bridge going in I reckon the value of Holm Park will soar in the next couple of years. We should look to cash in on that, remortgage the ground and use the money for the few more players we need to guarantee promotion this season and most likely another 2 or 3 straight promotions in a row. 

12 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

With over £60k spent in the transfer window, no room No room for slip ups.  I think it is fair to say the Bankies are the biggest spending club in the league this season.    I just feel if it’s not promotion to LL this season for the bankies, a league below the standard of the WoS, where they will ultimately be stuck indefinitely due to lack of appropriate licence to be promoted.  

Money at this level is crazy. 

I remind teams to look at other clubs who have been big spenders in the past, where are they now? Darvel seem to be team currently going through that change.  KR are in free fall.  Pollok debt level is crazy from outstanding bus bills, kit suppliers, local food suppliers etc….keeping up with the jones’ is a dangerous game.  

Want to break down your 60k claim?

12 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

With over £60k spent in the transfer window, no room No room for slip ups.  I think it is fair to say the Bankies are the biggest spending club in the league this season.    I just feel if it’s not promotion to LL this season for the bankies, a league below the standard of the WoS, where they will ultimately be stuck indefinitely due to lack of appropriate licence to be promoted.  

Money at this level is crazy. 

I remind teams to look at other clubs who have been big spenders in the past, where are they now? Darvel seem to be team currently going through that change.  KR are in free fall.  Pollok debt level is crazy from outstanding bus bills, kit suppliers, local food suppliers etc….keeping up with the jones’ is a dangerous game.  

There are no outstanding bills at Lok of the type you have listed and any debt is now completely managed again.

40 minutes ago, Emiliano ZaBankie said:

With the new bridge going in I reckon the value of Holm Park will soar in the next couple of years. We should look to cash in on that, remortgage the ground and use the money for the few more players we need to guarantee promotion this season and most likely another 2 or 3 straight promotions in a row. 

wall street top 100 movie quotes GIF

1 hour ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

In my experience this attitude is spread all over the country.

I have worked in most parts of Scotland and in quite a few areas of England. The amount of Scots I have met down south whom;          1. had to leave to further their career or get a job in their area of expertise if you like.                            2. have almost cut all ties with their home area; either through choice or finding it hard to keep the friend group they had growing up.

I speak from personal experience on both counts. 😪

My experience is a little more positive than yours, I reckon. I'm no fan of the west central belt in general, I didn't enjoy my time in Glasgow and Paisley any more than I did Ayrshire, but while I'm glad not to have to live there, I find Lanarkshire folk (those not obsessed with Irish history at least) pretty decent for the most part.

I don't have any friends from my school days, as we never had much in common, not even the football, given that most around me were Rangers fans, often full-on Orangemen. Quite a few kids I knew at school who did go to university completely reinvented themselves in a fairly obnoxious way so don't associate with them either. 

I lived in Edinburgh for more than three decades, I found the mix of people a lot healthier, and encountered very few folk who sneered at social mobility in the same way as those I grew up with. I find a certain strata of the rural working class in D&G yokeldom somewhat deferential, but on the whole I find most decent down here. While things could be rosier at the moment, I still believe/have to believe that Scotland is moving in the right direction compared to what I grew up with.

Edited by Bad Wolf

3 hours ago, Shanner said:

I wish someone would specify the "goldilocks zone" for the right amount of money it is proper and decent to spend on a division-by-division basis. If you're going to pull arbitrary moral financial standards out of your arse you might as well pad them out with some detail. "Too much" often just sounds like code for "more than the established pecking order are comfortable with". 

Time will tell if Clydebank upping the spending is a good strategy but I know Samson will be a good addition and make a difference. He's not an especially prolific scorer but others around him will score more because he's there and his quality always stuck out like a sore thumb at this level.

If the ambition is to go for successive promotions then he's the sort of player that will be good enough to provide continuity season after season. That seems like a wise bit of spending to me, whereas If money were being flung at a clapped-out 35-year-old former Premier League journeyman who was there to phone it in for a couple of seasons it would look a lot different. 

Needless to say I hope it all backfires horrifically but I think it might not. 

Aw shucks, if it helps you feel any better id want you guys to come up right behind us if we did get there x

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

My experience is a little more positive than yours, I reckon. I'm no fan of the west central belt in general, I didn't enjoy my time in Glasgow and Paisley any more than I did Ayrshire, but while I'm glad not to have to live there, I find Lanarkshire folk (those not obsessed with Irish history at least) pretty decent for the most part.

I don't have any friends from my school days, as we never had much in common, not even the football, given that most around me were Rangers fans, often full-on Orangemen. Quite a few kids I knew at school who did go to university completely reinvented themselves in a fairly obnoxious way so don't associate with them either. 

I lived in Edinburgh for more than three decades, I found the mix of people a lot healthier, and encountered very few folk who sneered at social mobility in the same way as those I grew up with. I find a certain strata of the rural working class in D&G yokeldom somewhat deferential, but on the whole I find most decent down here. While things could be rosier at the moment, I still believe/have to believe that Scotland is moving in the right direction compared to what I grew up with.

Where in Lanarkshire was that; couldn't have been Airdrie, Coatbridge, Wishaw, Motherwell, EK, Hamilton, jeez can't think of anywhere in Lanarkshire North or South where wit fit u kicked with, was no an issue. 

Southside boy born an bred witnessed less of the bile in Glasgow growing up, than in Lanarkshire. Spent some teenage years in Ayrshire, pals referred to me by one of my middle names for safety. 

D&G has a slight undercurrent of it in certain places, Wigtownshire being one way and Kirkcudbrightshire being the other.

Not nearly as bad as some areas but it does exist.

Wish it didn't and we could all focus on a united Scotland but hey ho. Not likely to happen anytime soon.

Anyways our love of football can be our unifying bond.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

8 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Where in Lanarkshire was that; couldn't have been Airdrie, Coatbridge, Wishaw, Motherwell, EK, Hamilton, jeez can't think of anywhere in Lanarkshire North or South where wit fit u kicked with, was no an issue. 

Southside boy born an bred witnessed less of the bile in Glasgow growing up, than in Lanarkshire. Spent some teenage years in Ayrshire, pals referred to me by one of my middle names for safety. 

D&G has a slight undercurrent of it in certain places, Wigtownshire being one way and Kirkcudbrightshire being the other.

Not nearly as bad as some areas but it does exist.

Wish it didn't and we could all focus on a united Scotland but hey ho. Not likely to happen anytime soon.

Anyways our love of football can be our unifying bond.

image.png.500b7f3cadd912ef190123f870886b38.png

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

image.png.500b7f3cadd912ef190123f870886b38.png

Away and find your own bromance; Shanner has his, I'm working on mine, although don't less possil know. I get the feeling he can be the jealous/possessive type. Had enough of those in my younger days before my beloved of 30years should me real love. 💖

3 hours ago, beaver watch said:

The big picture is Clydebank have spent the cash. They now have to provide an end product where  second position in the league isn't good enough. Big ask considering the money that's getting flung about this division.

I get that the drum have absolutely no fans but cmon they absolutely are outspending us along with Burgh and Cadocs, its obviously useful for those who hate us.