Guess the squad game

Let's have a little prediction game with the squad announcement a week today.

Rules:

1. Deadline to enter is 9pm on Tuesday 21st May 2024.

2. One entry per person, but you can edit your post up to the above deadline.

3. In accordance with UEFA rules, you can name a squad of 23-26 players including at least 3 goalkeepers.

4. The aim is to predict what squad Steve Clarke will name, not what you would personally do if you were in charge.

5. You get 1 point for every player on your list that is named in Steve Clarke's original 26 named on Wednesday 22nd May 2024. You don't lose a point if one of your players later withdraws with injury and nor do you gain a point if one of your players misses the original squad but is later called up.

6. If you name less than 26 players, each blank slot is considered to be a pick and you'll get point(s) for it if Clarke only selects 23-25 players.

7. Winner gets a green dot.

35 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Let's have a little prediction game with the squad announcement a week today.

Rules:

1. Deadline to enter is 9pm on Tuesday 21st May 2024.

2. One entry per person, but you can edit your post up to the above deadline.

3. In accordance with UEFA rules, you can name a squad of 23-26 players including at least 3 goalkeepers.

4. The aim is to predict what squad Steve Clarke will name, not what you would personally do if you were in charge.

5. You get 1 point for every player on your list that is named in Steve Clarke's original 26 named on Wednesday 22nd May 2024. You don't lose a point if one of your players later withdraws with injury and nor do you gain a point if one of your players misses the original squad but is later called up.

6. If you name less than 26 players, each blank slot is considered to be a pick and you'll get point(s) for it if Clarke only selects 23-25 players.

7. Winner gets a green dot.

Like it. Of course about 20 of them are damned obvious so it's a question of which injured players you gamble on being close enough for Clarke to select. Unless of course we get some more public updates on some before 9pm on Tuesday.............

Posted (edited)

Zander Clark

Craig Gordon

Angus Gunn

Ryan Jack

Ross McCrorie

Grant Hanley

Jack Hendry

James Forrest

Scott McKenna

Ryan Porteous

Anthony Ralston

Andy Robertson

John Souttar

Greg Taylor

Kieran Tierney

Stuart Armstrong

Calum McGregor

Ryan Christie

Billy Gilmour

John McGinn

Kenny McLean

Scott McTominay

Che Adams

Lyndon Dykes

Lawrence Shankland

RYAN FRASER

Edited by Butters Scotch
I've added in Ryan Jack instead of Cooper as realised i've put in one too many CB's

Posted (edited)

1. Angus Gunn
2. Anthony Ralston
3. Andy Robertson
4. Scott McTominay
5. Grant Hanley
6. Kieran Tierney
7. John McGinn
8. Callum McGregor
9. Lyndon Dykes
10. Che Adams
11. Ryan Christie
12. Craig Gordon
13. Jack Hendry
14. Billy Gilmour
15. Ryan Porteous
16. Scott McKenna
17. Stuart Armstrong
18. Lawrence Shankland
19. Liam Coooper
20. Greg Taylor
21. Zander Clark
22. Ross McCrorie
23. Kenny McLean
24. Connor Barron
25. John Souttar
26. James Forrest

Optimistic on Armstrong. I'm assuming Jack's been away from competitive action too long to be considered when he's not a starting level player. I'm taking Hanley. He's clearly physically fit and with McKenna, Cooper and Souttar in the squad too there's enough cover.

Despite peddling the belief for months that Gordon needed to play a lot more football to displace Kelly I've allowed myself to pick him. He's playing again tonight so he's going to end up having played three or four of Hearts last half dozen games. It's harsh on Kelly though.
Added - Gordon left on the bench today again so his season finishes with 3 League games and 4 Scottish Cup ones, three of which were against lower league opposition. Has he done enough to get in?

Hard to ignore James Forrest's last month surge into contention when there's a lack of alternatives. I think he gets the nod over Fraser which will confirm Fraser's international career is over. Unless there's a late Road to Damascus re-commitment from Elliot Anderson (in the Newcastle team tonight) anyway. I listed my squad on here on April 23rd along with another half dozen fringe candidates for spots and I never mentioned Forrest. That's how quickly he's come in from the cold in the last month! Maybe Doak would have got that shout if he'd played since Xmas but he hasn't. I assume Jacob Brown's still out and won't play for Luton this weekend. Ross Stewart's recovery for a player who wasn't actually in the squad before he got injured and hasn't started a game in a year is too late. I suppose there is an outside chance for Kevin Nisbet who is fit but has played only 25 mins since January if he wanted another forward at the expense of a centre back. 

EDIT - I think that's exactly the same squad @Butters Scotch has posted while I was typing. 😆
RE-EDIT - Well it was before he edited his to put Jack in rather than Cooper.

SQUAD EDIT - Given the press (or at least The Sun) are saying Hickey is definitely out I've edited him out. I already had three right backs in my 26 anyway so no extra right back needed. I've added Connor Barron since it seems to be common knowledge the SFA have enquired about his fitness and availability. If Ryan Jack comes in from the cold to play in the Scottish Cup Final and does well (he was an unused sub today) then he will come into the mix too.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Posted (edited)

Gunn, Gordon, Clark
Porteous, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, Cooper, Souttar
Tierney
Robertson, Taylor, Ralston, McCrorie, Johnston
McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour, McLean
Christie, Armstrong, Forrest
Adams, Dykes, Shankland

That's my guess. 

If it was what I wanted, it'd be much the same, but I'd have Fraser in and drop a CB (Souttar, I think) and I'd probably go with Doig over Taylor. 

Edited by AndyDD
Confirmation of Hickey being out. Gutter.

Goalkeepers (3)
Angus Gunn
Craig Gordon
Zander Clark

Defenders (11)
Andy Robertson (c)
Kieran Tierney
Nathan Patterson
Ross McCrorie
Grant Hanley
Jack Hendry
Scott McKenna
Greg Taylor
Liam Cooper
Ryan Porteous
John Souttar

Midfielders (8)
Callum McGregor
John McGinn
Billy Gilmour
Scott McTominay
Ryan Christie
Stuart Armstrong
Kenny McLean
James Forrest

Attackers (4)
Lyndon Dykes
Che Adams
Lawrence Shankland
Ross Stewart

Posted (edited)

I reserve the right to change this if we get more injury info

Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn, Craig Gordon and Zander Clark (3)

Defenders: Andy Robertson, Greg Taylor, Anthony Ralston, Ross McCrorie, Kieran Tierney, Ryan Porteous, Grant Hanley, Jack Hendry, Scott McKenna, John Souttar, Liam Cooper (11)

Central Midfielders: Callum McGregor, Scott McTominay, Billy Gilmour, Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack (5)

Attacking Mids/Wingers: John McGinn, Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, James Forrest (4)

Forwards: Lyndon Dykes, Che Adams, Lawrence Shankland (3)

Edit Sunday 19th:

IN - Ross McCrorie

OUT - Aaron Hickey :( 

Edited by JS_FFC

The full consensus 5/5 players so far:

Gunn, Gordon, Clark (3)

Robertson, Tierney, Ralston, Souttar, McKenna, Hanley, Porteous, Hendry, Taylor (9)

McGregor, McTominay, Gilmour, McLean (4)

McGinn, Christie, Armstrong (3)

Adams, Dykes, Shankland (3)

22/26 slots seem to be sealed barring injury. I think everyone would also pick Hickey if we knew he was going to be fit.

The maybes: Aaron Hickey (4/5 picked him, he surely goes if at all fit), Ross McCrorie (only I didn’t pick him. I do think he will go if Hickey is out), Liam Cooper (4/5 picked him), James Forrest (4/5), Ryan Jack (only 2/5 picked him), Ryan Fraser and Ross Stewart (both 1/5)

Not looking good for: Liam Kelly, Robby McCrorie, Max Johnston, Nathan Patterson (major injury doubt), Josh Doig, Dom Hyam, Jacob Brown, Kevin Nisbet, Ben Doak.

And unsurprisingly no one is predicting a late defection from any of the Newcastle guys or anyone else that’s randomly eligible to play for us like Quansah or Jason Steele.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Not looking good for: Liam Kelly, Robby McCrorie, Max Johnston, Nathan Patterson (major injury doubt), Josh Doig, Dom Hyam, Jacob Brown, Kevin Nisbet, Ben Doak.

Most of those had no chance anyway. You may as well say not looking good for Lewis Ferguson either! 

Patterson and Brown would have gone if fit. I suppose a good 2nd half of the season might have got Nisbet in too but he largely spent it injured (as did Doak). The others there barring Kelly were never going barring major injury lists in their position (which Johnston's close to benefitting from).

Much as I bottled my own thoughts on it, partly out of hope, I'm still far from convinced Kelly wont make it.

Edit - I do find it surprising some think Stewart has more chance of going than Nisbet. Nisbet was being picked ahead of Stewart before they both got injured. He was far more regularly in squads and has scored for us under Clarke. Yet now they are both back as a sub at club level a couple of games suddenly Stewart's perceived to be in front of Nisbet? 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

GKs

Gunn

Gordon

Clark

DFs

Hanley

McKenna 

Hendry

Porteous

Cooper

Tierney

Robertson

Ralston

Taylor

Johnston

MFs

McGregor

Gilmour 

McTominay

McGinn

Christie

Armstrong

McLean

Forrest

Doak

FWs

Dykes

Adams

Shankland 

Stewart

Gordon, Kelly, Gunn, Clark

Ralston, McCrorie, Souttar, Cooper, McKenna, Hendry, Porteous, Tierney, Robertson, Taylor

McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, Christie , McLean, Barron, Forrest

Dykes, Adams, Brown, Shankland

Posted (edited)

I picked 26 players.

I doubt Steve Clarke will gamble on Hickey or Doak.

Nor should he particular trust Ryan Fraser (pulling out a Scotland squad, only to be caught training with Newcastle the following day. Guy is a snake)

Stuart Armstrong isn't very good, plus he cost us a famous win against England. I wouldn't pick him ever again. But Clarke will.

---

GK:

1. Gunn

2. Gordon

3. Kelly

4. Clark 

DF: 

5. Robertson 

6. Tierney 

7. McKenna

8. Porteous

9. Hendry

10. Souttar

11. Cooper

12. Doig

13. Taylor

14. Hanley 

MF 

15. McGregor

16. McLean

17. Gilmour 

18. Christie

19. Barron

20. Armstrong

FW:

21. McTominay  

22. McGinn

23. Adams

24. Forrest

25. Dykes

26. Shankland

Edited by SlayerX

Posted (edited)

My Euro's pick🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Kelly, Gunn, Laidlaw (3)

Ralston, Livramento, Lindsay, Cooper, McKenna, Hendry, Deas, Tierney, Robertson, Taylor, Wallace (11)

McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, Christie , McLean, McCowan, Forrest, Barron (9)

Dykes, Murray, Doak, Shankland, Danny Armstrong (5)

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

My Euro's pick🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Kelly, Gunn, Laidlaw (3)

Ralston, Livramento, Lindsay, Cooper, McKenna, Hendry, Deas, Tierney, Robertson, Taylor, Wallace (11)

McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, Christie , McLean, McCowan, Forrest, Barron (9)

Dykes, Murray, Doak, Shankland, Danny Armstrong (5)

Doig for McGregor. McGregor only plays for Celtic so Robertson can play in midfield like Trent does, Doig on the left. 

Gk:

Gunn, Gordon, Clarke

Defenders:

Robertson, Taylor, Tierney, Ralston, McRorie, Hanley, Hendry, Porteous, McKenna, Cooper

Midfield:

Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Christie, McLean, Armstrong, Barron, Jack

Forwards:

Dykes, Adams, Shankland, Doak

52 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Gk:

Gunn, Gordon, Clarke

Defenders:

Robertson, Taylor, Tierney, Ralston, McRorie, Hanley, Hendry, Porteous, McKenna, Cooper

Midfield:

Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Christie, McLean, Armstrong, Barron, Jack

Forwards:

Dykes, Adams, Shankland, Doak

I think you’re the closest yet Jaggy imo who Clarke will select

As the thread title says, not who you’d select but the actual squad Clarke selects 😬 

Out of curiosity, if you were to choose Jaggy how would it differ ?? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

As the thread title criteria, I’m thinking there will be a few eyebrows raised but I’m thinking this squad. Not the squad I’d select but one I think Clarke will select 

Keepers :-

Gunn, Gordon, Clark

Defenders :-

Robertson, Taylor, Tierney, Ralston, McRorie, Hendry, Porteous, McKenna, Cooper, ( Hanley * )

Midfield :-

McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Gilmour, Christie, McLean, ( Armstrong * ) Barron, Barnes 

Forwards:

Dykes, Adams, Shankland, Conway

Armstrong + Hanley * ( if fitness allows ) 

Posted (edited)

Keepers- Gunn, Gordon, Clark

Defenders- Robertson, Taylor, Tierney, Hanley, Hendry, Porteous, McKenna, Souttar, McRorie, Ralston

Midfielders- Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Christie, McLean, Armstrong, Forrest, Fraser

Forwards- Adams, Dykes, Shankland, Stewart

Final Edit

Hope I’m wrong and Livramento and Doak both go

Edited by MarkoP

17 hours ago, BroraBoy said:

I think you’re the closest yet Jaggy imo who Clarke will select

As the thread title says, not who you’d select but the actual squad Clarke selects 😬 

Out of curiosity, if you were to choose Jaggy how would it differ ?? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

I would probably swap out one of Jack/Barron for Forrest/Fraser as they give the option to change things up a bit going forward.

At the back, you could argue Souttar should maybe make it over Cooper due to the latter’s lack of game time.

I’d also be begging Tino Livramento to declare for us and take McRorie’s spot.