City guide- Cologne

Stellaboz

After experiencing the chaos of getting into and out of Munich stadium and the mental overcrowding on trains, my thoughts now turn to Cologne, especially post game. 

It's not really walkable so are we gonna have 50,000 folk all trying to get the tram back into the centre? I'm meant to be catching a train at 00:30 from central. Looking unlikely 

16 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

After experiencing the chaos of getting into and out of Munich stadium and the mental overcrowding on trains, my thoughts now turn to Cologne, especially post game. 

It's not really walkable so are we gonna have 50,000 folk all trying to get the tram back into the centre? I'm meant to be catching a train at 00:30 from central. Looking unlikely 

On looking at that on maps, good luck with that. 

Jameson pub in Cologne was cracking last night after the England game. Karaoke till closing. 90% Scots.

Peter Pane for a burger (as recommended by Stellaboz) was decent 

Beers, well, too many to mention. The Germans know what they are doing 

10 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

It's a good question. Normally they put on a shitload of trams post match but for normal games, many people go in different directions, whereas this is different I guess. Hopefully enough to cope. 

My tip is if there is a massive queue to walk left to the next stop, which isn't that far and bag a seat before it reaches the stadium stop.

A back up would be walking up to S Bahn mungersdorf but its about 30 minute walk. It'll take you straight to the main station though. 

Hi, Planning to drive and my car is not registered in Germany (looks like the stadium car park is in the green zone). If I end up in the green zone in Cologne will they issue a fine automatically or somebody needs to check my car. How likely is to get a fine? I own an EV and a I do not have that DE green zone sticker nor do I know where I could get on on a Saturday. thanks.

14 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

It was a long time ago now, but I was at a Centurions / Claymores game here years ago and it was a breeze to get away from the ground. Tram after tram was waiting to pull into the loop and get people away as fast as possible.

I'm hoping it's the same here.

Apparantly trams were a nightmare after the game in Cologne between Hungary and Switzerland. Folk waiting for over 2.5 hours, no extra trams put on etc (and that was an early kickoff)

Have to say, have not been overly impressed with how they have dealt with access to and from grounds so far in the tournament from what I have experienced and read about online

Edited by Quentin Taranbino

18 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

It was a long time ago now, but I was at a Centurions / Claymores game here years ago and it was a breeze to get away from the ground. Tram after tram was waiting to pull into the loop and get people away as fast as possible.

I'm hoping it's the same here.

Heard exact same thing. I’d imagine folk will be fine if leave 10-15 mins early. We’re going to leave plenty time to get to stadium in case of any major delays. 

6 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Apparantly trams were a nightmare after the game in Cologne between Hungary and Switzerland. Folk waiting for over 2.5 hours, no extra trams put on etc (and that was an early kickoff)

Have to say, have not been overly impressed with how they have dealt with access to and from grounds so far in the tournament from what I have experienced and read about online

I must have been lucky, walked out and straight on to one and was back in half an hour. 

Bit of a stomp from train to the stadium which was surprising. 

7 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

We watched the afternoon game yesterday with 3 Swiss boys and they said they had none of the problems we seemed to have encountered in Munich. No 1.5hr queues to get in and back into town in an hour.  Off to Dortmund for Turkey v Georgia today, walkable thankfully but the local tv forecast for the whole area today and tomorrow is awful. Severe warning for rain and even a tornado alert !!!!

41 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

We watched the afternoon game yesterday with 3 Swiss boys and they said they had none of the problems we seemed to have encountered in Munich. No 1.5hr queues to get in and back into town in an hour.  Off to Dortmund for Turkey v Georgia today, walkable thankfully but the local tv forecast for the whole area today and tomorrow is awful. Severe warning for rain and even a tornado alert !!!!

Weather forecasts have been hit and miss. They didn’t open the Dortmund fan park until the middle game on Saturday due to forecast, and was bright sunshine during the afternoon!
Anyway, hope you have a fine day. Football museum is right next to main train station. They also have a green carpet to follow to get to the ground and/or big fan park next to stadium. Sounded a strange idea when read about it, but worked really well!

1 hour ago, The Holiday Song said:

Weather forecasts have been hit and miss. They didn’t open the Dortmund fan park until the middle game on Saturday due to forecast, and was bright sunshine during the afternoon!
Anyway, hope you have a fine day. Football museum is right next to main train station. They also have a green carpet to follow to get to the ground and/or big fan park next to stadium. Sounded a strange idea when read about it, but worked really well!

All Cologne fan parks to remain closed today due to the storm threat, hopefully not in Dortmund although we have just been pubbing it every day.

Is everyone without a match ticket heading through to Cologne anyway?

The Munich fan zone was an utter shambles for getting drink due to the amount of people there, so much so that it’s put us a bit off going without a ticket and we might just stay in Dusseldorf to watch instead.

In two minds as I think the atmosphere in Cologne would be brilliant, although Dusseldorf has been bouncing full of Scots in the last couple of days.

1 hour ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

The Munich fan zone was an utter shambles for getting drink due to the amount of people there, so much so that it’s put us a bit off going without a ticket and we might just stay in Dusseldorf to watch instead.

In two minds as I think the atmosphere in Cologne would be brilliant, although Dusseldorf has been bouncing full of Scots in the last couple of days.

Aye, I'm currently on an ICE from Basel (and surrounded by Switzerland fans!) that's almost at Frankfurt Airport station. Planning to meet up with some mates and see whether or not I manage to get a ticket sorted or whether it'll be standing in a fanpark/bar tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Watch the game in the Heumarkt in Cologne if you don't have a ticket. Avoid  the Fan Park, the bars here have bene buzzing for the matches, great atmosphere and far easier to get served. Plenty have TV's outside. 

11 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Watch the game in the Heumarkt in Cologne if you don't have a ticket. Avoid  the Fan Park, the bars here have bene buzzing for the matches, great atmosphere and far easier to get served. Plenty have TV's outside. 

Cheers, will check this out. Sounds similar to the great atmosphere we’ve had at the Dusseldorf Aldstadt in the last couple of days.

Worth remembering all Fan Areas in Cologne are closed today because of the storm. It's dry here, and chucking it down in Düsseldorf, where the fanzones will be open...

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

Where is everyone basing themselves in cologne to drink? 

We were down yesterday 

it was pishing doon but good craic

weather in Dusseldorf is grand today so I’d imagine Cologne will be similar 

Heumarkt is the best bet I’d reckon or anywhere in the alstadt, different to Dusseldorf but loads of boozers and good fun