St Mirren European Tour 2024

Lex

2 minutes ago, Marko van Haddock said:

Getting a 0-0 doing here. Ball not sticking up the park at all with no one closing so they can play it back up at their pace and their style. Could do with Toyosi closing them down rather than two similar static players. 

I can see what Robbo was trying but it's not working.

HT 0-0

Got through that one, but my god what a chance that was for us at the back post header from the free kick after about 40 minutes. Mandron got to score, heads it wide. 
Could tell within the first five minutes that these were a handy side the way the set up and moved the ball about. They look like a team second in the top flight half way through their season. They’re in form and fit. It’s like playing against the ugly sisters when they’re flying.
In terms of our performance we need to be thankful for Balcombe, what a goalie he is. Think that’s four excellent saves I’ve counted plus a few good ones. Collective fear when he went down injured about the half hour mark, played on thankfully. 

Not really much else you can say other than our main problem is that their players are better than ours.

Still, doesn’t mean we will lose. We need luck and circumstance on our side, and they have been, so far.

Starting with Ayunga and Mandron up front was a mental call for me.

We’ve tried to counteract the physicality and all that’s happened is we have 2 strikers who can barely move to challenge for anything or run in behind and the ball is just coming back at us every single time. We’ve barely held the ball for 2 consecutive passes all half. I appreciate we’re playing the long game over 2 legs, but that was pretty clearly the wrong call.

That said, Brann are a clear cut above Valur and look like a pretty good side. Some lovely touches and triangles to cut us open a few times.

Balcombe excellent again though.