Clyde FC Season 24/25

On 15/09/2024 at 06:48, Doc Holiday said:

We not a bit top heavy with strikers, I'd be tempted to put Allan back to Falkirk, money saved straight away. 

Easy as that- “haw John, want to take your 5th choice striker back who can’t score in league 2 - and add £3,200 to your monthly wage bill?”

17 minutes ago, Right turn Clyde said:

Easy as that- “haw John, want to take your 5th choice striker back who can’t score in league 2 - and add £3,200 to your monthly wage bill?”

Rather than sending him back to Falkirk maybe we could play him for 90mins instead of hooking him to be replaced by a centre back during our most dangerous spell of the match.

22 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Always really bugs me that in the post match interviews McCall never seems to know how many points we have and who we are playing next game. 

Glad someone else has noticed this! If it's an attempt to appear unconcerned about our league position then I really do hope it is just a front because we could well be bottom of the league in a few days. 

The cynic in me says it's a genuine lack of care as he probably plans to retire from management post Clyde and knows he has us by the baws whether we're successful or not. 

Also, and in no way a criticism, but I wish our media man had asked McCall why he subbed Jordan Allan when he did. I wasn't necessarily against bringing Logan on but when we really needed a goal and with Jordan looking fairly bright it seemed a crazy decision at the time. 

Edited by RutherGlen

I'll hazard a guess & say you've a decent enough group of players there not enjoying their football because the system doesn't suit them.  4-2-3-1 is overthinking it at a level where that's absolutely the last thing you want to do.

It didn't quite work for Jordan Allen at Falkirk as they play 1 up & he needs a strike partner....so it's an idea to play with one then

Simplify it.   Pick what you think's your most solid back 4 there primarily to defend.  Play wide players in wide positions and get the best out them.  Pick the two central midfielders you feel combine best for energy and ability.  Rennie and Allen have both proven they can score given the chance, that's the starting two with decent back up available from others

If your players are generally better than the opposition's and are playing the system that suits best, at this level that'll likely get the job done

Leave the MNF tactics and analytics board for players at a far higher level with a greater range of abilities

2 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

I'll hazard a guess & say you've a decent enough group of players there not enjoying their football because the system doesn't suit them.  4-2-3-1 is overthinking it at a level where that's absolutely the last thing you want to do.

It didn't quite work for Jordan Allen at Falkirk as they play 1 up & he needs a strike partner....so it's an idea to play with one then

Simplify it.   Pick what you think's your most solid back 4 there primarily to defend.  Play wide players in wide positions and get the best out them.  Pick the two central midfielders you feel combine best for energy and ability.  Rennie and Allen have both proven they can score given the chance, that's the starting two with decent back up available from others

If your players are generally better than the opposition's and are playing the system that suits best, at this level that'll likely get the job done

Leave the MNF tactics and analytics board for players at a far higher level with a greater range of abilities

Absolutely but crucially, don't do all these things for one or two games only to $hit it and mix it up again if it doesn't immediately work. It may take 3 or 4 games for things to click but if McCall makes the decisions you outlined and actually has the guts to stand by them, it would come good. We might not win every game and score loads of goals but we'd definitely win more than we lose at this level. 

10 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Too sensible a post for this forum and spot on. Beat Stenny 6 1 last season with Rennie playing just behind JA. Hardly done it since. This is a relatively decent squad particularly for this level. Sadly it's just being mismanaged. A decent manager would get so much more from them. I thought at the time McCall was the right choice sadly so wrong.