Clyde FC Season 24/25

14 hours ago, PTR said:

On the face of it, Darren Young has to be the obvious candidate to approach. The vacancy this time should be slightly more appealing than 11 months ago. As underperforming and spineless as this squad's 'efforts' have been, it's a far cry from the Lowland League squad of last season. 

My aim for the rest of the season would be for the club to get real. Find the best 11, then balance the squad in January if we're able to find anyone to offload to and see where we finish. I'm going like a broken record here, but the medium term goals for Clyde are survival and sustainability. Achieving that whilst a comfortable League Two club is fine. Then start making noises about promotion and lofty Championship ambitions. 

I try not to think about it, yet how absurd this situation is from Elgin to today, even from Thistle to today, truly boggles the mind.

There's a little hint, somewhere here i believe, that McCall more or less admits he wasn't fully up for the cup with us. In a past life i'd have punched a hole in the wall and cursed him as a dirty Thistle b*****d, but i'm all but spent on that issue when stacked against so many factors exceeding even what you outline here. I don't even think his lack of enthusiasm has anything to do with any former clubs or a dislike of Clyde outgrowing his need for a wage.

I blame the club- everyone. He was given carte blanche to sign pretty much whoever the hell he liked, which in itself is no crime. But did no one, not least the great returning prophet not pick up on his body language when talking with him or even bring up his in-game attitude?

That's enough on him. Everything that's involved the club in the last two full years now has utterly disgusted me. Without exception. They've even ruined for me watching Thistle f**k their own promotion bids, twice. There's absolutely zero redeeming features about anything. 

One thing i sincerely hope happens when a new manager is appointed is that they drop Murdoch in midfield. No idea what the obsession McCall n Scally have with him. He’s the biggest sh*tebag every week, does nothing for the team and is a complete waste of space. Grant, Scullion, Cuddihy all better options for that position, unless Ayr have said he’s got to play every game I just don’t get it, I’d ship him back the now if we could 

22 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Anyone who gives it "I'm not going back" is either talking shite or not a supporter in the first place.

Give us peace with that patter sunshine. Get behind your team.

I have heard people in the queue for pies at half time saying that their football pal of 20-30 years has had enough and chucked it. It’s really not patter for some folks, some people who have followed us through thin and thinner really have chucked it  and I would bet there are a significant number who are thinking about it. 

following football at 19 quid a game… it’s not an automatic purchase for many

2 hours ago, Kerrazoo said:

I have heard people in the queue for pies at half time saying that their football pal of 20-30 years has had enough and chucked it. It’s really not patter for some folks, some people who have followed us through thin and thinner really have chucked it  and I would bet there are a significant number who are thinking about it. 

following football at 19 quid a game… it’s not an automatic purchase for many

Plenty have chucked it since we bailed out on broadwood too. You only have to look at the crowd numbers to see that hasn’t been a good move.

Pretty much everything about how the club has been run over the last x number of years has been a complete disaster. Absolute wasters holding their positions as ‘there is nobody else to do it’ or nobody with the gumption to remove them. Membership structure a complete farce too and contributing to the malaise IMO.

12 hours ago, Right turn Clyde said:

He just sits deep and makes himself available for the out ball which is pretty easy seeing as he's a few steps from the back 4 most of the time and the the oppo don't need to mark him - he plays short simple balls to retain possession all the time to make himself look decent but rarely plays a penetrating longish ball. He's not a great tackler, not great in the air and hardly speaks during a match......

In every season he has been at the club he is one of the top 3-5 performers. It’s very oddball behaviour to single him out as somehow responsible for how shite we are. Even now Grant and Cuddihy are still the two best CMs at the club.

Grant is a player who makes the whole team tick by dropping deep to pick the ball up and make passes. This significantly reduces the number of aimless punts out from the back.

He may not be flashy or fly into tackles but he is an effective player and we are always a better team with him in the side IMO.

His return from serious injury for the second half of last season is one of the major reasons in our improved form and great escape.

There has been plenty of absolute shite at the club over the last few years so why start ripping into a guy that’s very far from being the problem.

18 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

There has been plenty of absolute shite at the club over the last few years so why start ripping into a guy that’s very far from being the problem.

If the mad contrarian patter-vacuums on the forum dislike a player, you can basically assume they’re not the problem and said dafties are just fishing for attention (as per)

39 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

If the mad contrarian patter-vacuums on the forum dislike a player, you can basically assume they’re not the problem and said dafties are just fishing for attention (as per)

we don't need more ex players coming back to hurt us

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

Plenty have chucked it since we bailed out on broadwood too.

Agree with the basic point 01, just a bit more on this here though.

NLC served notice a year in advance that the lease would not be renewed.  So instead of waiting to get punted, Clyde left a year early to take up digs at Hamilton, supposedly on the basis that terms were better.  The story was spun that this was in effect a great decision instigated by the club, a false narrative generated that there was great positivity around the club as a result, and they even had the naivety to upload the "Here the Dream Begins" video to YouTube which only served as a reminder to many of a time when there was any genuine reason, at least in theory, for any enthusiasm about the club.

NLC weren't entirely candid with the truth for the reasoning, pinning it on the DGW situation and that while NLL didn't appear to have any issue previously, they had just taken over NLL's role and so had now come to a different view.  NLC had in fact taken over NLL's role some time earlier than stated and pre-dated the "transfer" to Raith Rovers.

The reality was that for many years the then chairman had been very public about the fact Clyde must leave Cumbernauld and own a new ground of their own (nothing proposed previously or currently would reflect the latter incidentally).

Said chairman then left, there then developed an improving working relationship between Clyde & NLL, certainly around the time of the promotion to League 1 in 2019, and then said chairman returned to a level of involvement with the club, which NLC became aware of. 

Primarily this was to pick up the reins of his pet relocation to Crownpoint project via the completely separate third party charitable company the Community Trust.  He was still sore that having specifically put Innes in place to carry out his wishes, the man did an about turn having listened to supporters' thoughts about this plan.

A questionable narrative about Clyde's historic roots in Glasgow was pushed as a received truth, because when your only contacts are in GCC it's the simpler option.  In reality, 21 years in Barrowfield v 88 years in South Lanarkshire....but when you don't know anyone in SLC, best to conveniently forget that part of history. 

So there we have it.  A semi professional football club being turned into a CIC (without any vote or say by the support on such a substantial matter).  As such being run like a private members' golf club which by the website's own admission wasn't fit for purpose in the club's early days due to the introduction of professionalism, tarting itself around various areas of Glasgow with no evidence of any feasible community that would provide a new sizeable support - and they wouldn't own the ground in any case.   To be clear, Clyde FC CIC and The Clyde Community Foundation are two completely separate companies with two completely separate sets of operational priorities, one is not owned by the other.

But apart from all that, what's not to get excited about ?   It's all about the positivity, it's all about the content 👍

4 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

In every season he has been at the club he is one of the top 3-5 performers. It’s very oddball behaviour to single him out as somehow responsible for how shite we are. Even now Grant and Cuddihy are still the two best CMs at the club.

Grant is a player who makes the whole team tick by dropping deep to pick the ball up and make passes. This significantly reduces the number of aimless punts out from the back.

He may not be flashy or fly into tackles but he is an effective player and we are always a better team with him in the side IMO.

His return from serious injury for the second half of last season is one of the major reasons in our improved form and great escape.

This is all subjective pish, imo. Honourable, standing up for a personal favourite if so, but the devil is right there in the detail of your own words. 

I don't single him out as a reason we're shite; that's on us continuing to hire him. This is a guy who couldn't even hang on to a place in his own faither's team, and if you recall, twice told Lennon where to go in 2020 snd 2021 when the beginning of the lazy recruiting set in of simply rehashing the squad of 2019. The manager's treatment of McNiff was the reason given for his knockback. Rather funnily, once Lennon's budget was relaxed, he's one of the first to sign in 2022. And no free digs, either.

I single him out as a means, i admit, of attracting attention to the demise of active recruiting and focus on improvement. In my view he gets an incredibly easy ride because of his reliable mediocrity, rather than the unrealiable of the other boomerang flops who've tried there luck elsewhere yet come back and get paid even more tgan they were the first time. 

As for his actual 'game', and what he brings, it doesn't really correlate with what it is that supporters seem to want from others in the squad especially at the moment. If they want the team to at least go down fighting, well, when did RG last even get a lenient booking? Or put in an angry tackle? Rousing up his teammates? Getting in opponents faces? He probably has the cleanest disciplinary record at the club- your central midfielder, watching the world go by 20 yards from him, and doing f**k all about it. 

Chris McStay was twice the player and sheltered him for two years. He's the real loss. 

9 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Agree with the basic point 01, just a bit more on this here though.

NLC served notice a year in advance that the lease would not be renewed.  So instead of waiting to get punted, Clyde left a year early to take up digs at Hamilton, supposedly on the basis that terms were better.  The story was spun that this was in effect a great decision instigated by the club, a false narrative generated that there was great positivity around the club as a result, and they even had the naivety to upload the "Here the Dream Begins" video to YouTube which only served as a reminder to many of a time when there was any genuine reason, at least in theory, for any enthusiasm about the club.

NLC weren't entirely candid with the truth for the reasoning, pinning it on the DGW situation and that while NLL didn't appear to have any issue previously, they had just taken over NLL's role and so had now come to a different view.  NLC had in fact taken over NLL's role some time earlier than stated and pre-dated the "transfer" to Raith Rovers.

The reality was that for many years the then chairman had been very public about the fact Clyde must leave Cumbernauld and own a new ground of their own (nothing proposed previously or currently would reflect the latter incidentally).

Said chairman then left, there then developed an improving working relationship between Clyde & NLL, certainly around the time of the promotion to League 1 in 2019, and then said chairman returned to a level of involvement with the club, which NLC became aware of. 

Primarily this was to pick up the reins of his pet relocation to Crownpoint project via the completely separate third party charitable company the Community Trust.  He was still sore that having specifically put Innes in place to carry out his wishes, the man did an about turn having listened to supporters' thoughts about this plan.

A questionable narrative about Clyde's historic roots in Glasgow was pushed as a received truth, because when your only contacts are in GCC it's the simpler option.  In reality, 21 years in Barrowfield v 88 years in South Lanarkshire....but when you don't know anyone in SLC, best to conveniently forget that part of history. 

So there we have it.  A semi professional football club being turned into a CIC (without any vote or say by the support on such a substantial matter).  As such being run like a private members' golf club which by the website's own admission wasn't fit for purpose in the club's early days due to the introduction of professionalism, tarting itself around various areas of Glasgow with no evidence of any feasible community that would provide a new sizeable support - and they wouldn't own the ground in any case.   To be clear, Clyde FC CIC and The Clyde Community Foundation are two completely separate companies with two completely separate sets of operational priorities, one is not owned by the other.

But apart from all that, what's not to get excited about ?   It's all about the positivity, it's all about the content 👍

Brilliantly accurate piece....I would add that the relationship between NLL and the Club improved so much, that they became the main sponsor of the first team shirt.....I wonder how many other relationships deteriorated when "said Chairman" returned.

4 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Attacking Ray Grant for not being Kevin Nicoll is really weird. 

People slated Nicoll for not being more like everyone else. And, even if we were in this state with KN, at least there'd be a moment in the game that might cheer us up a bit. 

Like C01 you miss the point. Everyone admits Grant is timid, what use is that in a dogfight? Every game in the L2 even at the top is a dugfight for every foul, every decision- it's those we're losing, first.

I didn't think he was anything but present, last season. Kinnear, Hamilton and Howie were primary reasons the easy defeats slowed down, they didn't stop entirely. Scullion's aggression was further up the pitch and created a bit of space for Rennie and Allan. Ballantyne, while far from Bryan Robson seemed to do one or two things a game that ultimately justified his place. 

I said in the summer, the three "longest serving" ought to be punted, and was slated. Bannigan (rumour is, was approached) wouldn't have cost much more than RG/BC together, could've tried harder imo- and Lyon's a waste of space anyway.