Stranraer 2024-25

Like any Stranraer manager I’ll get behind them but, seems a panicked appointment, we’ve probably been backed in to that. 
Chris Aitken was overlooked when Jamie Hamill got the job, if you believe the rumours he was again overlooked when Robertson was given his three games. 
Between that he had an unsuccessful spell at East Kilbride and an even worse spell at Kilwinning Rangers. 
If he was so keen on the job you’d have thought he’d have made an appearance at a game over the last weeks to see what he may be working with. 

Can’t help but think if the club had went and approached managers when Agnew left rather sit back and wait for the dregs to come to us, we wouldn’t have to make such desperate decision. 

Feel bad for sounding so negative. Here’s hoping the guys hit the ground running and get this away day monkey off our back on Saturday. 

ETA could be great banter if we finish above Stirling Albion after the summers carry on. 

Edited by Mattmc

2 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Like any Stranraer manager I’ll get behind them but, seems a panicked appointment, we’ve probably been backed in to that. 
Chris Aitken was overlooked when Jamie Hamill got the job, if you believe the rumours he was again overlooked when Robertson was given his three games. 
Between that he had an unsuccessful spell at East Kilbride and an even worse spell at Kilwinning Rangers. 
If he was so keen on the job you’d have thought he’d have made an appearance at a game over the last weeks to see what he may be working with. 

Can’t help but think if the club had went and approached managers when Agnew left rather sit back and wait for the dregs to come to us, we wouldn’t have to make such desperate decision. 

Feel bad for sounding so negative. Here’s hoping the guys hit the ground running and get this away day monkey off our back on Saturday. 

ETA could be great banter if we finish above Stirling Albion after the summers carry on. 

Best of luck lads Is durrant or the brown bros involved in any way 

Seems a good appointment . 2 men who know the lower leagues., have plenty experience between them . Both know the club well , but have been away long enough that they will be fresh eyes and a hopefully will make the changes that will get the results we need . Can only hope they will play 2 up front , especially at home. . 

4 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Think consideration was given to our loyal committed player Robbo , and the three game trial was not a bad thing, however Robbo being Robbo like Aggy thought it better for  to step back . The East Fife game one of the best Stranraer performances for a long time. But low confidence kicking in,

I’ll be honest, Chris Aitken is an absolutely bizarre appointment IMHO. For a team who are seriously teetering to appoint someone who has been average at best at a much lower level than this is just bonkers stuff and strikes me as incredibly lazy.

What I find even more bizarre is that Stevie Aitken is assistant to his brother. Why on earth is a guy with a vastly superior record with far, far more managerial experience at a level Chris Aitken could only dream of, playing assistant to his dumplin’ of a brother!? What a minter for Stevie.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ll be honest, Chris Aitken is an absolutely bizarre appointment IMHO. For a team who are seriously teetering to appoint someone who has been average at best at a much lower level than this is just bonkers stuff and strikes me as incredibly lazy.

What I find even more bizarre is that Stevie Aitken is assistant to his brother. Why on earth is a guy with a vastly superior record with far, far more managerial experience at a level Chris Aitken could only dream of, playing assistant to his dumplin’ of a brother!? What a minter for Stevie.

My thoughts exactly. I'm a little underwhelmed i must admit. I hope it works out well but i can't help thinking its a cheap and panicky appointment that may bite us in the ass.

I really wish Stranraer all the best 

It's the comedy gold merry-go-round of SPFL2.... after coming through what was an absolute shambolic situation with our own club in the summer & btw it's no means stable at the minute...we are still surviving with radio silence & different idea's of style of play..performance..selections...staff members.. but that's the binos way...we just accept it 

I had a feeling that something desperate was going to happen soon enough down towards the bottom... & it's now official....I  can see why it's an obvious choice...the disgraceful way our club treated Chris Aitken meant he was out of a job...even though it was 7th tier Kilwinning...it was a job he loved doing & obvious he would accept this challenge at Stranraer 

Funnily enough it's the same 3 staff appointments.... Stevie being the brains of the coaching staff...Chris the figurehead & Durrant just a name to associate with....Durrants appointment being the rumour for Aitkens appointment being retracted with us 

Nothing but respect for Chris & how he handled things...hopefully he does a good job for Stranraer until they play the binos of course 🙃

The appointment was a free shot for Stranraer & opportunity for both parties, hopefully it works out & good luck guys 👍 

When Chris almost came to us in the summer, I believe word was at the time regarding his brother was that Stevie had a relatively settled day job and was no longer interested in the stress/pressure/time of being a manager anymore but was able to commit to being an assistant or a coach.

Agree though that on paper its bonkers that now two SPFL2 clubs have offered Chris the managers job despite him failing at tier 7. His record is actually pretty atrocious.

By all accounts a good guy and a nice guy. He will always be a club legend at Stirling and wish him and Stranraer the best. Hope it works out for all involved but (similarly to when he was offered the Stirling job) an utterly bizarre and potentially risky as fcuk apppointment

Good luck to the the new management team what a seen of him at Kilwinning rangers a would say this is a terrible appointment and will drop u like a hat when anything bigger comes up to be honest it was the best thing he done at the buffs was applying for the Stirling job cause the guy doesn’t have a clue. 

Edited by Albertz91

I see yous have bought in Lewis Reid.

Think he should be good for L2, lacks pace a bit but he's a big lad and he seems to be able to tackle, and he's not scared of having the ball either. Hopefully he does well there and we can have him back better in good time

11 hours ago, MrFizz said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm a little underwhelmed i must admit. I hope it works out well but i can't help thinking its a cheap and panicky appointment that may bite us in the ass.

Always had a wee soft spot for the blues, best of luck, (you'll  need it) for the season.

11 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

When Chris almost came to us in the summer, I believe word was at the time regarding his brother was that Stevie had a relatively settled day job and was no longer interested in the stress/pressure/time of being a manager anymore but was able to commit to being an assistant or a coach.

Agree though that on paper its bonkers that now two SPFL2 clubs have offered Chris the managers job despite him failing at tier 7. His record is actually pretty atrocious.

By all accounts a good guy and a nice guy. He will always be a club legend at Stirling and wish him and Stranraer the best. Hope it works out for all involved but (similarly to when he was offered the Stirling job) an utterly bizarre and potentially risky as fcuk apppointment

I couldn't figure him out when he was with us (Kilwinning).  He inherited a squad which was mediocre at best and on a downward spiral and couldn't arrest the decline before relegation.

In his only full season we got off to a terrible start then went on a really good run before becoming very inconsistent.  The season eventually tailed off and the players threw the towel in. 

But in amongst the chaos there were some very good performances and results.  A good away win at Dundonald Bluebell after being 2-0 down. A narrow loss to Cowdenbeath in the next round where a defensive mistake was the difference.  Wins against Shotts, Johnstone Burgh and Drumchapel (all of whom were subsequently promoted). There seemed to be lots of false dawns and it never really led to anything though.  The consistency just wasn't there.

He made a few bizarre statements in post-match interviews and during the close season and in the end I think the majority of people were happy to see the back of him and his resignation to take the Stirling Albion job came at exactly the right time for us.

49 minutes ago, energyzone said:

I couldn't figure him out when he was with us (Kilwinning).  He inherited a squad which was mediocre at best and on a downward spiral and couldn't arrest the decline before relegation.

In his only full season we got off to a terrible start then went on a really good run before becoming very inconsistent.  The season eventually tailed off and the players threw the towel in. 

But in amongst the chaos there were some very good performances and results.  A good away win at Dundonald Bluebell after being 2-0 down. A narrow loss to Cowdenbeath in the next round where a defensive mistake was the difference.  Wins against Shotts, Johnstone Burgh and Drumchapel (all of whom were subsequently promoted). There seemed to be lots of false dawns and it never really led to anything though.  The consistency just wasn't there.

He made a few bizarre statements in post-match interviews and during the close season and in the end I think the majority of people were happy to see the back of him and his resignation to take the Stirling Albion job came at exactly the right time for us.

On the basis of what you've said above, a fairly obvious conclusion is that the squad was indeed mediocre, Aitken got some decent results out of them, but ultimately they were still mediocre, and there wasn't much that he, or anyone else, could have done with them.

As I recall from back then at Stair Park, Chris Aitken didn't do particularly good interviews, but can only say that when Stephen Aitken was manager, it was a hugely enjoyable period of good football at the club.  

Edited by beefybake

10 hours ago, beefybake said:

On the basis of what you've said above, a fairly obvious conclusion is that the squad was indeed mediocre, Aitken got some decent results out of them, but ultimately they were still mediocre, and there wasn't much that he, or anyone else, could have done with them.

As I recall from back then at Stair Park, Chris Aitken didn't do particularly good interviews, but can only say that when Stephen Aitken was manager, it was a hugely enjoyable period of good football at the club.  

A fair few of the players went onto Premier League teams so there appeared to be some talent there, but for some reason he couldn't get a proper tune out of them.

One thing I will say is that Aitken seemed to genuinely care about the team and the club judging by his interviews.  Maybe it just wasn't a good match for either side.  Hopefully he'll do well at Stranraer.

Is boost the budget still a thing?

If yes I wonder if a campaign to boost the January budget in particular for the new managers might be worthwhile?

Also wonder if there could be some benefits attached, just random ideas:

£0-49 - name added to website list 

£50-149 - thank you video from random player

£150-250 - thank you call from the manager

£250-? - play in fans v players mixed friendly

?+ - mega prize

Edited by GallowayBlue

So this if how an away win feels. Nice! 
Well done to the new management team. Hopefully that’s the monkey off the back. 
Not sure how much today was about performance, probably more so about just getting that win over the line and then work on things in the coming weeks.