Broxburn Athletic FC

Job done tonight in the cup! Don't think we ever really got going, but Dalkeith dug in and tried to compete without ever really creating anything. Last 10 minutes, they just looked tired, left a few gaps and Broxburn picked them off from there.

4-0 was definitely harsh on Dalkeith on the night, but probably a reflection of the difference in levels between the sides.

Hopefully a nice comfortable home tie for next round... or a roadtrip!

3 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Job done tonight in the cup! Don't think we ever really got going, but Dalkeith dug in and tried to compete without ever really creating anything. Last 10 minutes, they just looked tired, left a few gaps and Broxburn picked them off from there.

4-0 was definitely harsh on Dalkeith on the night, but probably a reflection of the difference in levels between the sides.

Hopefully a nice comfortable home tie for next round... or a roadtrip!

I had a feeling Dalkeith might tire toward the end but they played well. Errol put in a late show for the cameras and the consensus amongst the Edinburgh City and Caley Thistle fans I was with was that he wouldn't disgrace the Scottish League.

I captured the moment when you opened your wallet as well :P

razamatazz.thumb.jpg.5a795efeecc1102b8718f787271a9464.jpg

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I had a feeling Dalkeith might tire toward the end but they played well. Errol put in a late show for the cameras and the consensus amongst the Edinburgh City and Caley Thistle fans I was with was that he wouldn't disgrace the Scottish League.

I captured the moment when you opened your wallet as well :P

razamatazz.thumb.jpg.5a795efeecc1102b8718f787271a9464.jpg

Errol could definitely do a job a bit further up. I think a few injuries have held him back a bit.

But I gather he's very happy at Broxburn, we're very happy to have him, so hands aff!

No comment on the wallet...

Playing our friends Auchinleck again. Starting to feel like an annual thing this tie lol. At least a warm visit awaits, with a brilliant social club. Hopefully a decent ref and no repeat of that last scoreline there. 

4 minutes ago, albynpark said:

Playing our friends Auchinleck again. Starting to feel like an annual thing this tie lol. At least a warm visit awaits, with a brilliant social club. Hopefully a decent ref and no repeat of that last scoreline there. 

It's almost becoming predictable to draw them in some cup tournament these days!

Could be a decent choice for a live tv pick 😉

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

In isolation yes, but having been on TV in Round 1, I think EK v Bonnyrigg or HoB v Bo'ness Utd is more likely.

Unfortunately I very much realise that's us probably out that equation for a few years unless we ever get far enough for a tie with one of the Ugly Sisters and Premier Sports (or whatever they are now called) can't say no!

Have a feeling Sauchie v Buckie might get looked at... unless it's a Friday night again (not sure of the schedule for this round).

A great performance by the team tonight. I think any neutral that didn't know the teams wouldn't be too sure who the team was that's top of the table.

A little bit of a slow start let Caley Braves take the lead with quite a soft goal, but a brilliant run and hit from Nick Locke got us level. Big Errol missed a glorious chance in the 2nd half and we hit woodwork from a bit of a scramble in the box.

Think if the game went on a bit longer we might have got the 2nd goal, but a draw will do.

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

We have had an offer turned down for Errol Douglas? He good enough for league two you reckon? I suspect once January come round we may be in for him again.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/broxburn-athletic-turn-down-bid-33801153

Definitely relieved that it seems he didn't fancy it himself. 

I think he could definitely do a job at lower L1 and L2 level with the right club. Big strong lad, quick too and he does know the way to goal. It would obviously be a step up, but I don't think it would be a step too far. Better players around him would bring best out of him.

Would be a huge blow for us if he did leave.

A very good and very comfortable win against East Stirling who were very poor. We were 2 up before they realised the game had started and you started to think "how many". But ES did get themselves together after this, had a lot of the ball, created a couple of chances and forced a good save from Bob Watt. Just as thinking ES are gonna make a game of it, Broxburn broke and big Errol added a 3rd. ES heads totally went down a bit at that and seemed to lose a lot of confidence. Gary Brass added a 4th and game was over at half time. 

2nd started with ES determined not to be as slow to get going and they did well getting on the front foot and forcing a few corners,  but Broxburn were very much in 2nd gear. Gary Brass penalty was really well saved by their keeper, but a 5th goal came soon after when a defender almost politely stepped out the way to let Mwangi in on goal and he finished really well. The despair from the ES goalie at his team mates attempts at defending was fairly comical - think he was in disbelief at that one too.

An already slow 2nd half faded even more after the 5th goal. I think Broxburn really just making sure they got through another game with no injuries. 

A really good comfortable win today and another clean sheet for Bob. East Stirling had some moments, but defensively they are the poorest of the sides we have played so far. Seems to be a lot of panic at the back and they struggled to hold a line or any kind of shape.

We've done really well in this league. Nothing to fear. Surprised at the linlithgow game now, compared with how we've played in every other game. Maybe it came too early or it really helped and pushed us on a learning curve.  The other bad spell was ten minutes against East Kilbride. I think it's time to put forward plans for seats in the next few years. Hopefully they will be needed. 

1 hour ago, albynpark said:

We've done really well in this league. Nothing to fear. Surprised at the linlithgow game now, compared with how we've played in every other game. Maybe it came too early or it really helped and pushed us on a learning curve.  The other bad spell was ten minutes against East Kilbride. I think it's time to put forward plans for seats in the next few years. Hopefully they will be needed. 

Last season in the programme feature that interviewed the committee and volunteers, a lot of them mentioned improvement wish was a seated enclosure on the north side. So many of them mentioned it, I did wonder if there have been some conversations....

It would be a great addition to the ground, so  I guess we'll see in time. I'm ready to buy a brick!!

There are a couple of games every season where we just don't turn up, but somehow get away with it. First half today was one of these! Thorn Athletic should have been out of sight with the number of really good chances they had. A mixture of good play by them, but poor defending by us and they seemed to have so much space.

Incredibly we went in 2-1 up at the break... Wardell showing his class to grab a couple. 

Much better 2nd half showing, got a 3rd, missed a couple of sitters ourselves and forced their keeper into a couple of good saves. Managed to get on the ball more in midfield and that was enough for us to get through.

Tough game, awful conditions, but delighted to be into next round. All the best to Thorn Athletic... can see why they are top of their league.

5 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

There are a couple of games every season where we just don't turn up, but somehow get away with it. First half today was one of these! Thorn Athletic should have been out of sight with the number of really good chances they had. A mixture of good play by them, but poor defending by us and they seemed to have so much space.

Incredibly we went in 2-1 up at the break... Wardell showing his class to grab a couple. 

Much better 2nd half showing, got a 3rd, missed a couple of sitters ourselves and forced their keeper into a couple of good saves. Managed to get on the ball more in midfield and that was enough for us to get through.

Tough game, awful conditions, but delighted to be into next round. All the best to Thorn Athletic... can see why they are top of their league.

I've never been there but I'd be disappointed if they didn't play "Thorn in my side" as their coming out music! 

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I've never been there but I'd be disappointed if they didn't play "Thorn in my side" as their coming out music! 

Bit of an open park... but plenty of room to develop. 

Step one on the development... a really good CD player and a Eurythmics album!

A 0-0 draw with Bo'ness tonight in very misty/foggy conditions where it was very difficult to see the game.

Very scrappy first half with few chances. 2nd half opened up after BU had a man sent off. This let Broxburn have more of the ball and chances... but a lot of wasted chances went begging. BU probably created better chances and a great save from Bob near the end rescued the point. 

Conditions were awful and it was really difficult to see what was going on. Referee was also awful and it was almost impossible to predict what decision he'd give next. 

The way it played out, it feels a bit like 2 points dropped, but it's a point on the road at a difficult venue and another clean sheet. It looked like a really good crowd in too... feels a bit like the weather and the ref robbed us of what could have been a great Derby match.

Man of the match... the fog!

Referee went to speak to both the coaches around the hour mark.  I am guessing he was asking if they wanted the match abandoned due to the mist/Fog.  A bit bizarre if that was the question as it was no worse then than it was at the KO.

Referee was far too fussy with awarding fouls and constantly slowing the game down..  Never allowed the game to get properly going.  Lots of good players on the pitch and it COULD have been a proper bone rattling blood and thunder derby but alas the man in black was a useless fearty !!