Broxburn Athletic FC

I was hoping for a good game tonight, no problem with Broxburn Athletic and your little Ultras (the 10-12 year olds) are quite funny (and if one in particular misbehaves I can get his Auntie Mary to sort him out).

City had trouble a decade ago when we had wee laddies coming to Lowland League games. Then bigger laddies came along and started letting off flares in the old stand which understandably annoyed Edinburgh Leisure. So we had to stop anybody under 18 from coming without an adult accompanying them. This may have to be revisited which is a bit of a nuisance but if neds can't behave themselves. 

I might get the tannoy announcer to play some smooth jazz at the next game as a ned repellent too.. Nice.

As I watched it unfold, the missiles where all thrown from one side to begin with.  they where launching metal tube bars about 6" long and full plastic water bottles. Obviously the metal was brought in for this occasion. When the police arrived and threw a few out it calmed down. What can the police do, their hands are tied. When the policeman fell the game was always getting abandoned. Not nice to see supporters get hit by projectiles. 

Broxburn seemed to be the better football team in the only half. Lots of pressure.

1 minute ago, albynpark said:

As I watched it unfold, the missiles where all thrown from one side to begin with.  they where launching metal tube bars about 6" long and full plastic water bottles. Obviously the metal was brought in for this occasion.

Is nobody paying attention at the gate ffs, how do you get in with this? Flares and other items I get as these are easily hidden but 6 inch tubes, c'mon

9 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Is nobody paying attention at the gate ffs, how do you get in with this? Flares and other items I get as these are easily hidden but 6 inch tubes, c'mon

That why it puzzled me, wtf are they throwing? bigger than a vape, but small enough to sneak in. But I didn't have time to accurately measure it as I was ducking for cover. It makes me think it was planned. The pyros where bigger!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I might get the tannoy announcer to play some smooth jazz at the next game as a ned repellent too.. Nice.

Hey, man....I don't feel no shame, just play me some John Coltrane.

p.s.  It wasn't me.

Edited by Black Pennel
No reason. I like doing stuff like that.

7 hours ago, albynpark said:

Broxburn seemed to be the better football team in the only half. Lots of pressure.

And this is what it should have been about. For a freezing July evening, it was turning into a decent match. City looked quite newly put together, bit fit and strong. Broxburn were settling in some new signings that look decent, but their old guard were linking to play some nice stuff. Was hoping to see more of the new signings run out during 2nd half!

The person wasn't hit with a brick. They threw a bottle and it knocked a light loose, that swung down and hit her.

Moving onto Saturday, are Bonnyrigg bringing Ultras? I hope not

3 hours ago, albynpark said:

The person wasn't hit with a brick. They threw a bottle and it knocked a light loose, that swung down and hit her.

Moving onto Saturday, are Bonnyrigg bringing Ultras? I hope not

That seems more like it. I thought police were being a bit lenient, even by modern standards, if someone was directly hit by a break.

Hopefully someone will be sending a wee message to Bonnyrigg to check their Ultras situation! Although I believe the City ones have previous form for getting a bit lairy!

15 minutes ago, albynpark said:

Jordi, do you get paid when media use your clip? I've seen your name credited a lot

Fame at last!! But no, a couple of polite messages to ask if they can use and some thanks!

I need a better agent!

Back to actual football... and home v Broomhill for our 1st league match in the Lowland League!

Pretty happy with that. They seem to have had quite a clearout of players and were struggling a bit in 2nd half of last season. So could be one to target 3 points and get the season off to a good start.

And I don't suspect they'll bring any ultras!!

What I expected to be another competitive friendly today turned into a bit of a stroll for Bonnyrigg... running out 6-1 winners.

Broxburn were missing a few players and were pretty poor in general, but Bonnyrigg were very good. Especially in the first half.

3 games now against League Two sides (well 2 and a half...!) and Bonnyrigg have looked by far the best yet. A bit of variety to the goals, some maybe given away a bit too easily, but I think Bonnyrigg will be having a better season this time out. 

Was a good test for Broxburn and I'm sure lessons for the coaching staff to take on. And luckily, it was just a friendly!

New signings announced. Trialists do have names. Kyle Bell and Fionn McLeod Kay. both where at Glenrothes last season. Bell looks a good fit but as Glenrothes just escaped relegation in the Eosfl I hope they can make the step up. A great opportunity for them. Good luck

1 hour ago, albynpark said:

New signings announced. Trialists do have names. Kyle Bell and Fionn McLeod Kay. both where at Glenrothes last season. Bell looks a good fit but as Glenrothes just escaped relegation in the Eosfl I hope they can make the step up. A great opportunity for them. Good luck

My thoughts too... Glenrothes were very good in 3 games against us last season, which likely alerted the management to these guys... but they do seem to have struggled against the rest... certainly Bell has looked quite energetic and lively in the preseason matches so far and has a bit of presence about him.

I'm sure the other new signings will be announced soon... as well as those that have moved on.

Pretty happy with our draw for the South Challenge Cup 

1st Round away to Ardrossan Winton Rovers. Win that and 2nd round is Nithsdale Wanders.

At least one decent away day/road trip there.

Looking forward to the season beginning. New league to get into and a couple of Cup runs would be nice.

A 2-1 win today over St Andrews United. Pretty entertaining game. 

St Andrews looked pretty decent in stages, bit overall think we were worthy of the win... and nice to get it after last week's humbling!

The win was made even better given we seemed to be really short of players today... A few players out of position and only 4 on the bench. I assume a mix of summer holidays, letting anyone with knocks rest up and the new registration system! 

1 hour ago, Jordi1977 said:

A 2-1 win today over St Andrews United. Pretty entertaining game. 

St Andrews looked pretty decent in stages, bit overall think we were worthy of the win... and nice to get it after last week's humbling!

The win was made even better given we seemed to be really short of players today... A few players out of position and only 4 on the bench. I assume a mix of summer holidays, letting anyone with knocks rest up and the new registration system! 

Can't argue with that assessment, was impressed by no3 and 10 for Broxburn and equally impressed with 10 & 6 in St Andrews side. Big Errol a real handful as well. 👏👏⚽

14 minutes ago, Rubikscube said:

Can't argue with that assessment, was impressed by no3 and 10 for Broxburn and equally impressed with 10 & 6 in St Andrews side. Big Errol a real handful as well. 👏👏⚽

Broxburn 3 was Andy Rodden - just signed in close season from Cowdenbeath. That was probably his best game in preseason so far.... getting to know his teammates clearly, but linked up really well for going forward and pressed well at the back.

Broxburn 10 is Darren Downie... been a bit of a supersub the past few seasons. He's one of these guys that the game seems a bit effortless and is very natural with the ball. If he'd had a bit more pace he could have possibly been a regular starter for a decent tier 4/5/6 team - but happy to have him in our squad... his goals always seem to be important ones.

With Downie playing up front, big Errol was a little deeper and he played that really well. Got on ball lots and broke forward to stretch the defence... last season he was more played up top, but wonder if slightly deeper might suit him more.

On 07/07/2024 at 20:30, albynpark said:

Bell will do well for Broxburn. He's got good experience & surprised he dropped to Glen's from the leagues proper.