Group D 🇵🇱🇳🇱🇦🇹🇨🇵

Austria playing one touch stuff there Scotland couldn’t dream about playing in 40 lifetimes.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Mbappe’s nose is absolutely mangled. Pointing about 17 different ways.

Mbappe gets a free kick and pretends his face is hurt then 30 seconds later he knows what it genuinely feels like. Almost instant karma.

Quite harsh on Austria in the end, who played really well. 

I'd like to think Scotland could learn a lot from a few games like this since Friday. Sadly I suspect it will be 'Operation get to 70 mins at 0-0 and see what happens'.

Mbappe's hooter looked broken to me. Immediately start thinking about protective masks and so on, but depending on the damage the doctors might rule him out of playing at all. Think France are nothing like as scary without him.

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

Mbappe's hooter looked broken to me. Immediately start thinking about protective masks and so on, but depending on the damage the doctors might rule him out of playing at all. Think France are nothing like as scary without him.

He'll be getting operated on the now to make sure he's available ASAP. 

Mbappe will at worst miss the next game.

What I really want is for him to totally hardline it and not get any corrective surgery so when he's being subbed on in the 2035 world cup everyone can have a hearty chuckle about when his face wasn't fucked.

58 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’ve never seen Dembele play well. 

I said this at the last World Cup. I feel he must be great, the teams and transfers he’s been involved in, but I’ve never ever seen him play well. 

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I said this at the last World Cup. I feel he must be great, the teams and transfers he’s been involved in, but I’ve never ever seen him play well. 

I don't think I've ever seen him have a good game either.

A few times tonight he held onto the ball too long and didn't play the ball to a team mate in a better position when he should have, which ruined what could have been some good opportunities for France.

2 hours ago, Red Kite said:

My mate saw Zidane play in The 2002 Champions League Final  in Glasgow.  He said it was like he was operating in his own time-zone and he rates him as the best player he has seen,  despite seeing loads of top.players at Anfield.  Watch his Soccer-Aid performance to see him do everything in slow-,mo.  He would over-shadow most players.  The idea that Deschamps did nowt comes from Cantona calling him a water carrier.  It is worth taking a quick look at the sides he played in, the teams he captained and a bit of youtube to see he had something.

Thanks for the response mate. I just love hearing about people who actually saw the great players. I went to Scotland vs France friendly at Hampden in 99 or 2000 I think and Zidane was missing. My big brother and I were gutted we didnt get to see him play when he was in his prime too. 

I knew Deschamps must have had something about him to have the career he did. Got to admire the playing career and then as a manager. 

Edited by Acastus

3 hours ago, Acastus said:

Even tho I'm a 90s kid I don't really remember watching or noticing deschamps that much. Was he overrated as a player or underrated? Probably overshadowed by Zidane etc. 

Deschamps was a world class anchorman. He was a great passer, a great reader of the game and he had an engine on him. Incredibly intelligent player.

Every team needs a player who does the dirty work and the unseen work.

Ex footballers always say that the only people who appreciate these types of players are their team mates.

France's double pivot of Deschamps and Petit allowed Zidane to blow Brazil apart at France 98.

19 minutes ago, Acastus said:

Thanks for the response mate. I just love hearing about people who actually saw the great players. I went to Scotland vs France friendly at Hampden in 99 or 2000 I think and Zidane was missing. My big brother and I were gutted we didnt get to see him play when he was in his prime too. 

I knew Deschamps must have had something about him to have the career he did. Got to admire the playing career and then as a manager. 

No problem.   I wish it had been me who saw him.  I re-checked with my mate how he got the ticket and he said he was just lucky with his application, in the ballot.  Sorry to hear you didn't get to see Zidane.  The 1998 side Deschamps captained were tremendous so you would probably still have seen some great players, at Hampden.  I think my big regret was Ruud Gullit declaring himself unfit for a game at Anfield I thought he was going to play in.

You could maybe check out the Zidane A 21st Century Portrait film, where the camera just follows him round the pitch.

20 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

No problem.   I wish it had been me who saw him.  I re-checked with my mate how he got the ticket and he said he was just lucky with his application, in the ballot.  Sorry to hear you didn't get to see Zidane.  The 1998 side Deschamps captained were tremendous so you would probably still have seen some great players, at Hampden.  I think my big regret was Ruud Gullit declaring himself unfit for a game at Anfield I thought he was going to play in.

You could maybe check out the Zidane A 21st Century Portrait film, where the camera just follows him round the pitch.

Oh I appreciate that mate. And from what I remember from the friendly (without using google) it was 1-0 to France in that friendly at Hampden but they had plenty of world class players most leftover from "France 98".

So it was still great to watch, and we had two seats together on the last row right at the back of one of the stand behind the goals. I dont even know if that's still a thing but me and my bro couldn't believe our luck we had 2 wee seats alone because of the big pillar to the side of us and the stairs at the other, it was like we had sneaked in to watch the world champions and we got the best view in the house without even trying to get those seats. 

Edited by Acastus