Early 2024/25 predictions

Aye, the season only properly finished 2 days ago and no one has an actual squad yet but f**k it.

1. Partick Thistle

2. Raith Rovers

3. Dunfermline Athletic

4. Ayr United

5. Falkirk

6. Livingston 

7. Airdrieonians

8. Greenock Morton

9. Queen’s Park

10. Hamilton Academical

Posted (edited)

I'll update this as Pre-season rumbles on. 

28/05/24

1 - Raith Rovers

2-Partick Thistle

3-Falkirk

4-Livingston

5-Dunfermline 

6-Queens Park

7-Ayr

8-Hamilton

9-Morton

10-Airdrie

11/07/24

1-Partick

2-Raith

3-Livingston 

4-Falkirk

5-Ayr

6-Morton

7-Hamilton

8-Dunfermline 

9-Queens Park

10-Airdrie

23/07/24

1-Partick

2-Raith

3-Falkirk 

4-Livingston 

5-Ayr

6-Airdrie

7-Hamilton

8-Morton

9-Queens Park 

10-Dunfermline 

2/8/2024

1-Partick

2-Raith

3-Falkirk 

4-Livingston 

5-Airdrie

6-Ayr

7-Morton

8-Queens Park

9-Dunfermline 

10-Hamilton 

Edited by HoBNob

1. Raith Rovers
  2. Partick Thistle
  3. Ayr United
  4. Livingston
  5. Queen’s Park
  6. Falkirk
  7. Dunfermline Athletic
  8. Airdrieonians
  9. Hamilton Academical
  10. Greenock Morton

Vibes

I’ll revisit this after the league cup games but for now I’ll go for this. 

1. Raith Rovers

2. Partick Thistle

3. Livingston

4. Ayr United

5. Falkirk

6. Dunfermline Athletic

7. Queens Park

8. Airdrie 

9. Hamilton Accies

10. Greenock Morton

1. Raith Rovers
  2. Livingston
  3. Partick Thistle
  4. Falkirk
  5. Ayr United
  6. Dunfermline Athletic
  7. Airdrieonians
  8. Hamilton Academical
  9. Queens Park
  10. Greenock Morten

It's too close to call. There's no out and out favourite at either end of the table. Injuries and dodgy reffing decisions will have big impacts on the final outcomes,
I think from  1st to 7th , anybody could replace anyone else. Likewise in the bottom 3, but as Morten are by the seaside...

Absolutely no chance I'm predicting  anything this early, I'll do it the day before the League Cup starts as usual, but what a welcome change to have a wide open league with no Dundee United or Ross County type who are expected to canter it.

Obviously there are still clubs you can take a fair guess at, eg there's no reason at this point to doubt Raith will challenge again, but in any given season Raith finishing bottom of a league with these 10 clubs wouldn't be a big surprise. No position for anyone is going to be a massive shock the way Arbroath's title challenge was or Hearts or Kilmarnock ending up in a relegation battle would have been.

With the exceptions of Queen's Park not having finished above Ayr or Livingston, Airdrie not having finished above Livingston, Raith or Partick and Falkirk not having finished above Partick, everyone in the league has finished above everyone else in it at some point in the last 10 seasons.

Could genuinely shuffle they 10 teams into any order and it would look a fairly realistic final table. Couldn't conjure up a prediction if I tried.

Really looking forward to this season, very little between all 10 teams.

22 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Could genuinely shuffle they 10 teams into any order and it would look a fairly realistic final table. Couldn't conjure up a prediction if I tried.

Really looking forward to this season, very little between all 10 teams.

Definitely setup at this stage for a very tight league.

I would however disagree you can shuffle the 10 teams in any order.

I’d wager decent money that Morton and Hamilton will finish behind Partick and Raith. 

2 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Definitely setup at this stage for a very tight league.

I would however disagree you can shuffle the 10 teams in any order.

I’d wager decent money that Morton and Hamilton will finish behind Partick and Raith. 

Aye so would I, but it's definitely not outwith the realms of possibility. Far weirder things have happened in this division.

Posted (edited)

1. Raith Rovers

2. Partick Thistle

3. Dunfermline Athletic

4. Falkirk

5. Airdrie

6. Livingston

7. Morton

8. Hamilton

9. Ayr Utd

10. Queens Park

Its going to be an interesting Championship that's for sure.   Reckon any of my top 6 above could challenge for the title.  Because they are all so closely matched I reckon it will be cut throat and no one is going to run away with it or even a split of top 2 and everyone else like this season was.

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

Posted (edited)

1. Livi

2. Fife Gretna

3. Morton

4. Partick

5. Dunfermline

6. Falkirk (who?)

7. Airdrie

8. Hamilton

9. Little Ayr

10. Glasgow Gretna

Edited by Jamie_M

No predictions from me yet but I find it interesting that people have Livingston so far down at this stage; on paper, they've already got the best squad in the league, and I think they'll really go for it this season to avoid any rot setting in. They're obviously not quite at the same level as Dundee United, but it wouldn't shock me if they do really well.

Raith obviously have the financial backing and are unlikely to intentionally vandalise their squad the way our management did, but it's not impossible that they're hit with a hangover like us and Arbroath were after a good season. A couple of solid signings will likely (rightfully) have them favourites to win the league though.

I don't know a whole lot about Falkirk; when we played them in the Challenge Cup last season it was a Robin Veldman special, which simply does not count. Don't think I'd be too surprised to see them scrapping away at either end of the table.

Feeling cautiously optimistic about our own chances though. We have the frame of a very good team at this level in Ferrie, Fox/Wilson, Thomson/Welsh, and Thomas/Paton. A lot will depend on who Davidson brings in to supplement that, as well as whether any offers come in for the guys under contract that the club can't afford to refuse.

Should be a very interesting season.

4 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

No predictions from me yet but I find it interesting that people have Livingston so far down at this stage; on paper, they've already got the best squad in the league, and I think they'll really go for it this season to avoid any rot setting in. They're obviously not quite at the same level as Dundee United, but it wouldn't shock me if they do really well.

It’s almost entirely a vibe for me. I just think they’ll be like the Thistle team who came down and start atrociously before getting their act together a bit later on and being fine. Theres also the ownership stuff hanging over them which could impact them a lot depending on the outcome.

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

It’s almost entirely a vibe for me. I just think they’ll be like the Thistle team who came down and start atrociously before getting their act together a bit later on and being fine. Theres also the ownership stuff hanging over them which could impact them a lot depending on the outcome.

I think that's what it is for most people, which actually makes some sense. Even though I think they'll be top 2/3 a collapse obviously isn't entirely impossible either.

Posted (edited)

Really couldn't pick this. If you were a fly on the wall in each of the 10 board rooms I reckon you would find that there are (secretly) five teams that think they can seriously challenge for the title and another five that think they could be in with a shout of the promotion playoffs.

Personally I think Raith will keep the majority of there squad, get rid of some and add quality. I'd actually have them as favourites ahead of Thistle, everyone mentioning Thistle early doors but I thought some others were better than them last season, plus another year on Brian Graham's legs. That being said, Thistle tend to recruit well. I'd have those two as your main title favourites.

I think Dunfermline, Livi and Falkirk will be the other three that think they could really have an impact at the top. It's all a bit unknown but I think we'll have a far better squad than last year, which doesn't guarantee anything but I think we'll definitely do better, I suppose keeping them fit is the biggest thing. Livi have already made a number of signings and will still be keeping hold of (for now) some guys who won the Championship with them previously and have played a lot of Premiership football. I think Falkirk will also have aims of doing back to back promotions, do I think they will succeed? no but I think they'll definitely be aiming at that end given there's no big and obvious favourites this year like a Hearts, Dundee Utd, Killie etc.

I think Airdrie and Morton will be weaker this coming season. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Airdrie have a lot of guys out of contract and Morton have already lost there main goal threat in Oakley and Muirhead. That being said they could still be fighting for the playoffs.

As for Ayr, QP and Hamilton you just never know. They all have good individual players and Hamilton have a fairly good over all squad, however they still finished some way off Falkirk. Oakley joining Ayr, they'll hope he replicates the goal return from Morton, QP still have Dom Thomas and Ruari Paton.

I reckon it'll be just as exciting and also bloody handy given the furthest away game for us is Ayr which isn't too bad. Raith Rovers will be the most northern team this season, I hope that's the only thing they're at the top of.

Edited by The Toun Clock

1. Thistle

2. Raith

3. Livi

4. Falkirk

5. Ayr

6. Dunfermline

7. Airdrie

8. QP

9. Hamilton

10. Morton

Think Livi will do well, honestly think that top 3 is interchangable. Morton only bottom based on losing their best players.

Airdrie going to fall off a bit this season, especially after losing Fordyce.