Early 2024/25 predictions

20 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

Generally the burden is on the accuser to provide evidence of any wrongdoing, but given the accuser is a bawbag I'll try my best for you
Hampden has been the home of QP for longer than your team's existence, and frankly it's as much our right to rent a stadium as it is anyone else's. I don't see you accusing any other team which doesn't own their ground of cheating.

For what it's worth I think that we should develop lesser into a better ground than it is, but the fact is that it does meet all the requirements for a championship ground, and thus breaks no rules. It's mismanagement from our board that's stopping it from being developed, not cheating. Remember that we actively lose money from ticket sales by not expanding our stadium, why would we do that?
No-one at QP wants to be reliant on SFA goodwill to have a ground big enough to fit a championship-level crowd, but at present we are.

I don't think this needs any further explanation. You know we're not breaking any rules, you just want a reason to hate someone

Where to begin with this pile of pish...

1. Hampden, as in Hampden where it is now, didn't exist when my team was founded; I'd have thought a Queen's Park supporter might have known that (and what have Morton or when we were founded got to do with this anyway?);

2. How long you were there before you sold it is not relevant at all;

3. You ask me 'why would we not develop a better ground'??! Because the people, ahem, 'mismanaging' your club are fuckin at it, that's why... and that was the point of my original (lighthearted, as it happens) remark;

4. The core point is that your club could have spent their money on a Lesser Hampden that might hold, say, 3000 spectators... but instead spunked it on a Royal Box, then went back begging to use the big place;

5. I have no doubt at all that, at the point where it looked as though you might go up again, Charlie Boy had both eyes on the possibility of home games at Hampden against the sisters... that I unreservedly call cheating. Clear enough?

6. I don't 'hate' you, I just think you're run by cheats; see above.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

1. Partick 

2. Raith

3. Queens Park 

4. Ayr

5. Falkirk 

6.  Hamilton 

7. Livingston 

8. Airdrie 

9. Dunfermline 

10. Morton 

I have almost no confidence in just about all of those picks. I'd expect Partick/Raith/Ayr to finish in the top 4 in some order. Have gone back and forth on QP but I think Davidson remains in charge then they won't lose too many games. I have factored in a drop off from Airdrie but they easily out performed my prediction last season so there might be no change there. 

I'm pretty confident that ourselves and Dunfermline are a bit weaker than the rest of the division right now. I'd expect Dunfermline to try and throw at least some money at their team if they're struggling in January - we won't be in a position to do that.

There's still a couple of players to add, but Morton's squad is simply counting on too many unknown quantities and/or rapidly known jobbers to expect anything other than a struggle. I'm seeing similarities with Arbroath last season - we might not take too many pastings, but I'm not seeing where enough goals and wins are going to come from. 

On 08/07/2024 at 15:34, Ferguson said:

I couldn't come up with a concrete prediction if I tried, but I reckon the league will likely be battled out in 4 split sections.

Top 4, in any order

Raith, Livi, Partick and Ayr. All 4 have either held onto their best players or recruited quite well this summer. All seem to be financially out-muscling the rest of the league and that will probably show over the 36 games. Ayr the least likely to finish top for me.

Middle of the pack, again any order 5th-7th

Morton, Dunfermline and Falkirk. Morton have recruited well and look exciting in pre season but the teams above ransacking us for our best players gives them an obvious edge, Dunfermline aren't getting me off my seat but they'll have enough to not go down, Falkirk have held onto basically their whole squad but the majority of them have shown to be nothing more than average Championship players in the past - not getting the hype around them. Any of these 3 teams could very realistically break into either playoffs, but it would be a slight surprise either way for me.

Relegation battle, any order 8th-10th

Airdrie, Hamilton and Queens Park. Airdrie have lost a lot of key players and don't seem to have replaced them with anything of the same standard. Hamilton's defence would give you nightmares and I'm not all that scared of their attacking options. Queen's Park seem to have just been doing nothing all summer? Sub-par team last season, looks to be a poor effort at building on it this year so far.

Going to revise my predictions with the league about to get underway. League Cup performances don't tend to hold much of an indication of how the next 8/9 months will go, as we saw with our form fluctuating to the absolute extremes over the course of the season last year, but some teams are showing signs that I didn't see with their summer business.

Top 4, in any order

Raith, Livi, Partick and Ayr. Still stand firm over this. No clear winners as of yet still. Falkirk may well creep into it but their squad still doesn't look like it can compete at the top end over the course of 36 games for me.

Middle of the pack, any order 5th-7th

Falkirk, Queen's Park and Airdrie. Airdrie brought in a lot of unknown quantities and they've shown they can compete at this level already, somewhat to my surprise. Queen's Park seem to have been doing a sponsored silence over summer but now can't stop scoring, I like the business they've done in the end. Falkirk squad mostly filled with very meh players who are riding the wave of last seasons success.

Relegation battle, any order 8th-10th

Hamilton, Morton and Dunfermline. 3 teams who will likely look back on this season with frustration at their inability to build a competitive squad. If Morton had held onto last seasons key players and upgraded on the service around them we'd probably be up there, instead we've lost them all and replaced them with unknown quantities who couldn't prove themselves against 4th and 5th tier teams. We also still play Kirk Broadfoot, who turns 40 next week. Hamilton and Dunfermline both unconvincing in their own rights last season, equally as pish this year it seems.

Going by the league cup and the general musings from other teams' fans I've went with the below.

Everyone in the media is going on about how tight a league its going to be this season but I have a sneaking suspicion that Partick and Raith will quickly pull away from the other 8 teams and be in a 2 horse race for the title.

Ayr, with how they've recruited and Livi managing to keep a half decent squad (for the championship) and still having Martindale I'd imagine will be the other 2 top 4 teams.

Airdrie won't be far behind if they can gel quickly and carry on last seasons form.

The bottom 5 is completely interchangeable imo.  Only going by the highlights, but Morton seemed to play some half decent football on Saturday and win against an Alloa side who still had something to play for and put 3 past a St Johnstone side we didn't even lay a glove on previously so I'm hoping from that we won't be the relegation fodder many think we already are but it's still going to be a long season for us.  Especially if Broadfoot continues to be a constant in defence.

Falkirk seem to be relying on the majority of last season's squad again and that could come back to bite them.

IMO the bottom 5 here need to hope against hope injuries don't play too big a part in their seasons as the squad depths seem to be dangerously thin.

1. Partick

2. Raith

3. Ayr 

4. Livi  

5. Airdrie

6. Falkirk

7.  Morton

8. Hamilton

9. Dunfermline

10. Queens Park

So let’s see if wisdom of crowds is a thing.  There have been 30 predictions since the League Cup groups finished, and they average:

1) Partick (1.53)

2) Raith (1.9)

3) Ayr (4.2)

4) Livi (4.6)

5) Falkirk (4.7)

6) Airdrie (5.13)

7) Queens Park (7.23)

8). Morton (8.1)

9) Hamilton (8.27)

10) Dunfermline (9.33)

so a close run thing for 1st/2nd, tight from 3rd to 6th, and 7th to 9th.  Bye bye Dunfermline.

46 minutes ago, professor challenger said:

1. Thistle

2 Aye

3 Airdrie

4 Raith

5 Fakirk

6 Hamilton

7 Morton

8 Livingstone

9 Dunfermline

10 QP

Livingston, not Livingstone, I presume?

On 30/07/2024 at 08:43, Ferguson said:

Hamilton… unconvincing… last season, equally as pish this year it seems.

We lost narrowly to Ross County and were quite decent away to Raith.

I’d hardly say we seem pish.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

We lost narrowly to Ross County and were quite decent away to Raith.

I’d hardly say we seem pish.

Was more in reference to my initial predictions based on recruitment as opposed to league cup performances which don't tend to say much about the 36 league games ahead. The centre half pairing of Lee Kilday and Sean McGinty did a lot of heavy lifting there in forming my opinion, although I'd put my house on the both of them scoring at Cappielow this season.

2 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Was more in reference to my initial predictions based on recruitment as opposed to league cup performances which don't tend to say much about the 36 league games ahead. The centre half pairing of Lee Kilday and Sean McGinty did a lot of heavy lifting there in forming my opinion, although I'd put my house on the both of them scoring at Cappielow this season.

Tbf the only part of our team that concerns me is our defence. Rankin said that losing Owens was a blow and would dictate how and where we could recruit, and we’ve since signed no defenders but added 3 attackers (including one that involved a transfer fee).

right, my attempt

prior to the League Cup i wouldve predicted Partick Thistle to win the league, the a complete coin toss between the other 6 then a knife fight in a phone box for the final 3 spots at the bottom of the table

Partick to me seemed to have kept the majority of their squad from last season, with the additions of the likes of Kyle Turner and Logan Chalmers, they do look quite good in midfield and attack, in defense they do look a bit thin for numbers so 1 or 2 injuries and the wrong times could derail their campaign a little...an aging squad that seems like it has 1 maybe 2 more opportunities to win the championship before a rebuild is needed again

Raith Rovers, once again just copying whatever Airdrie do for signings however i cant blame them if it works...honestly surprised theyve kept Dabrowski as i thought he wouldve been a shoe in for a starting GK spot at a premiership club, plenty of new signings in for them, especially in defense, however i have read from some Raith fans that theyre nursing a lot of injuries from their League Cup campaign and may struggle to get off the starting gates, especially with their first 2 matches being against Airdrie and Partick...a statement win is needed in both of those for Raith to challenge for the title, otherwise they will be playing catchup in a league you cant afford to, they just seem to be missing a proper goal threat up front according to some of the Raith fans, however they should be a shoe in for a top 5/play off spot

Falkirk, welcome back to where yous should be Bairns, havent necessarily kept up with who Falkirk have accquired this summer, but getting Sneddon from Partick seems a good buy, it would appear McGlynn has kept the majority of his squad from last season, and fair play to him, if it aint broke dont fix it, probably hoping to keep that chemisty + momentum into the new season and i do genuinely think that Falkirk will be the "surprise package" this season, seems like the last 4 or 5 seasons a team that has came up from League 1 and became an unknown did really well..Arbroath, Queens Park, Airdrie...i now believe its Falkirks turn to do the same and they will defintely be around the playoffs come April/May

Airdrie, gotta say i felt like it was panic stations when we lost Dycey, Ballantyne, McGill, Gallagher, Telfer and Rae before a ball was even kicked...however after watching our League cup campaign it seems like we swapped like for like, and for the first time in i think about 6-7 years that weve had a full squad ready to go prior to League Cup campaign starting, both Wilson's look a good get both for their own reasons, pleasantly surprised with how MacDonald and Armstrong have played despite the huge leap forward from League 2/ Lowland League to Championship, a lot of us Airdrie fans still think we need atleast 1 more CB and a ST and were set for another good campaign

Ayr United, it would appear that the purse has been loosened this season as a lot of new signings have came in, gotta say i thought Ayr would be looking on shaky ground once McGinty left for Hamilton, and i do feel sorry for Ayr in their League Cup campaign getting 9pts and not getting through must be a right kick in the nuts, i think Ayr will be just fine this season especially with the signings of Oakley and Dowds upfront, as long as they have those 2 on the same wavelength, i could see the Honest Men being outside favorites for a play off spot, just think they will have the same form as last season WLWLWLW

Livingston, honestly thought before the transfer window opened that Livi were bound for back2back relegations as i thought that Livi had no money to compete with even the top half of the Chanpionship, did feel like Livi were punching above their weight for a season or 2, plenty of deperatures from the club, but also a plethora of new faces walking into the EmptiCab this season, may take till November/December before Martindale (if hes still there) to get this new squad firing on all cylinders and by then it may be too late to mount a play off charge

Greenock Morton, was very impressed with the wheelings and dealings of Mr. Imrie this summer, and prior to the League Cup campaign i thought Morton would be a shoe in for a top4 spot...but then came the matches against East Fife and Brechin, and it may still be teething problems with all these new faces entering Cappielow, but i was expecting more from Morton with how their transfer business was concluded, they look unsafe at the back and you can sort of tell the gap that a player like Oakley has left, they will make themselves hard to beat but it just screams 6th or 7th in the league with no one around to bother them

Hamilton Accies, seemed to have done well in terms of bolstering their attacking options for this season, with the additions of O'Connor, Shaw and Todorov as well as adding experienced McGinty in the back line, however at the moment to me, especially last season it seemed like a team that slept walked its way into the play-off final to beat a dismal ICT that season to climb back up, doesnt look to be too many options in midfield, and just like Partick with their defense...a few injuries at the wrong time could derail any momentum you have, youll survive

Queens Park, finally playing at Lesser Hampden, will be nice to go to the smaller ground for once rather than seeing a 95% empty full Hampden, seemed to have added in some youngsters into the squad as well as keep the majority of their squad from last season, however like Morton with Oakley...losing Ruari Paton might leave a big gap in the goals tally thats so deperately needed in this league to ensure survival, im not saying that Queens Park will play like crap, but it is hard to replace the 17 goals he gave you last season, relegation play-off but will stay up by beating QotS or Montrose in the final

Dunfermline Athletic, oh boy...where to begin one of the smallest squad sizes in the league, with barely enough to make a starting 11 and a bench...and reportedly no real money to outbid the likes of Falkirk and Raith for players that want to come to Fife, McPake might be the first on the chopping block this season...whilst yes Wotherspoon is a quality signing that has a wealth of experience behind him...his injury concerns may hinder rather than help Dunfermline this season, alongwith no proper backup goalkeeper incase worse comes to wear for Mehmet i can see Dunfermline being routed to the bottom 3 this season and relegated come seasons end...not saying that itll be a cake walk like  it was against Arbroath for some teams last season, Dunfermline will still make a game of it...but someone from this league has to go down and im predicting Dunfermline

1st Partick Thistle (C)
----------------
2nd Raith Rovers
3rd Falkirk
4th Airdrieonians
----------------
5th Ayr United
6th Livi
7th  Greenock Morton
8th Hamilton Accies
----------------
9th Queens Park
----------------
10th Dunfermline Ath (R)

2 hours ago, boost said:

Queens Park, finally playing at Lesser Hampden, will be nice to go to the smaller ground for once rather than seeing a 95% empty full Hampden

I've got some (potentially) bad news for you...

4 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I've got some (potentially) bad news for you...

is the bad news that i still wont be able to visit lesser hampden?...i thought queens park were playing at lesser hampden till december when rangers move back out to ibrox?

23 minutes ago, boost said:

is the bad news that i still wont be able to visit lesser hampden?...i thought queens park were playing at lesser hampden till december when rangers move back out to ibrox?

Nothing official yet, as it stands we're only playing one game at Hampden. Also not entirely convinced you really want to play us at Lesser, where you'll be lucky to get a ticket.

Edited by Zanetti

5 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Nothing official yet, as it stands we're only playing one game at Hampden. Also not entirely convinced you really want to play us at Lesser, where you'll be lucky to get a ticket.

does lesser not seat about 1800ish?...also would just be nice to tick another stadium of my list that ive visited

2 minutes ago, boost said:

does lesser not seat about 1800ish?...also would just be nice to tick another stadium of my list that ive visited

Holds about 950. The away section against Kelty on Saturday was less than 100 seats.

Thought it would be interesting to go through the thread and see where everyone thinks their own team will finish. Here's the average prediction for each teams own fans:

Partick - 1.73
Raith - 1.80
Livingston - 2.00
Falkirk - 3.64
Ayr - 3.90
Airdrie -4.86
Hamilton -5.75
Morton - 6.53
QP - 6.63
Dunfermline - 6.90

Number of predictions submitted per team:

Airdrie - 7
Ayr - 10
Dunfermline - 10
Falkirk - 11
Hamilton - 4
Livingston - 3
Morton - 15
Partick - 11
QP - 8
Raith - 15

Some factoids for you.

54% of Raith fans think they'll win the league. Not a single Partick fan thinks they will be lower than third. Only 1 Falkirk fan thinks they will finish outside the promotion play-offs. Only 1 Hamilton fan thinks they'll be above 6th (and even that was a troll prediction for 1st). 33% of Dunfermline fans think they'll be last. Livingston have no fans.

Edited by Jives Miguel