2024/25 - The season where marks are made

17 hours ago, MrFizz said:

Whats happened at Creetown? Lost a lot of players from last year? 

If I recall correctly they did retain a large chunk of last 2 seasons squad. 

3 opening games have been against Nithsdale, Lochar and Vale so would realistically envisage some dropped points, not all nine admittedly. Squad is ageing a bit, young McMillan aside. And one of their best players Harry Mitchell is now at your Reserves.

Most worrying aspect would be the amount of goals conceded 5 to Nithsdale, 2 at home to Lochar then 7 to Star on Saturday there.

Wednesday evening they travel to Blairmount. League season could be over before its even got started

3 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

If I recall correctly they did retain a large chunk of last 2 seasons squad. 

3 opening games have been against Nithsdale, Lochar and Vale so would realistically envisage some dropped points, not all nine admittedly. Squad is ageing a bit, young McMillan aside. And one of their best players Harry Mitchell is now at your Reserves.

Most worrying aspect would be the amount of goals conceded 5 to Nithsdale, 2 at home to Lochar then 7 to Star on Saturday there.

Wednesday evening they travel to Blairmount. League season could be over before its even got started

Anyone can lose 3 games on the spin, but i agree, the amount of goals conceded would be concerning. Be interesting to see if theres an improvement next time out.

Edited by MrFizz

44 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Tonight's full time scores 

Lochar 3-0 Lochmaben

Lochar 4 wins from 4. Maben 4 pts from 4.

W&B 0-6 Reserves

Reserves 10pts from 4. W&B 0/4, zero goals 18 conceded.

'mon the ressies

On 05/08/2024 at 14:04, MrFizz said:

Whats happened at Creetown? Lost a lot of players from last year? 

According to last weeks G'News they have been missing there Goalkeeper, Captain and Vice Captain.

What's the script with the Fixtures this season? The new website has very few fixtures on it.  Teething problems with the new website? SFA's new computer system?   Seems to be the only league in Britain that the fixtures are not listed for the whole season.

On 06/08/2024 at 11:17, MrFizz said:

Anyone can lose 3 games on the spin, but i agree, the amount of goals conceded would be concerning. Be interesting to see if theres an improvement next time out.

The issue with the SOSFL is that the only season in recent memory when the league winners have lost 3 games never mind more was Threave in season 2017-18.

Either side of that it is usually 2 losses, sometimes 1 or even 0 losses.

History is against them. Defeat tonight and league season is effectively over other than trying to recover to a respectable finish.

They have had an undeniably tough start; Nithsdale, Lochar, Star, and Newton tonight. But, if you want to be in contention for glory these are the games you need to take something from.

You just have to look at Vale. Went to Islecroft and Blairmount won, that's the form of potential champions.

5 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Wonder if someone can furnish me with the setup with regards to Stranraer Reserves. Other than the name what is the connection, links with SPFL Stranraer.

Probably best asking in Stranraer's League 2 page, as there will be more people reading that who will be able to answer. There's a definite pathway for players though. A fair few have a least made it on to the bench for SPFL games. Ryan Edgar was taken from the reserves into the first team towards the end of last season and already looks very comfortable at League Two level, so much so I'd be surprised if he's still in League Two in a couple of years' time.

Just now, DG.Roma said:

Probably best asking in Stranraer's League 2 page, as there will be more people reading that who will be able to answer. There's a definite pathway for players though. A fair few have a least made it on to the bench for SPFL games. Ryan Edgar was taken from the reserves into the first team towards the end of last season and already looks very comfortable at League Two level, so much so I'd be surprised if he's still in League Two in a couple of years' time.

Cheers, I have spoken to a few Stranraer fans in the Stewartry  and they kind of hinted there wasn't much links between the two. 

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Cheers, I have spoken to a few Stranraer fans in the Stewartry  and they kind of hinted there wasn't much links between the two. 

Other than a bit of financial help from the 'big' team i think they almost run as seperate entities. Maybe a first refusal on players coming and going. 

Over the years, I think Stranraer FC have (rightly or wrongly) concentrated on getting players from the Central Belt and doing their training up there. Over the years they have missed out on some good South players, so there hasn't been a close contact between the two teams. Stranraer won the South League under Stranraer Athletic and at that time there was definitely no connection between the two However Since Alan Jenkins took over the two teams seem to have moved closer which is a good sign.

10 hours ago, info said:

Over the years, I think Stranraer FC have (rightly or wrongly) concentrated on getting players from the Central Belt and doing their training up there. Over the years they have missed out on some good South players, so there hasn't been a close contact between the two teams. Stranraer won the South League under Stranraer Athletic and at that time there was definitely no connection between the two However Since Alan Jenkins took over the two teams seem to have moved closer which is a good sign.

There isn't a lot of info online re Athletic, other than in 2008 or 2009 their then manager resigned and the club folded.

Looking back through SOSFL other than Stranraer themselves at some point, the Athletic in the noughties and now the Reserves; there hasn't been a consistent presence in the league from the town or local area.

I'm not comfortable with a designated reserve team being in the SOSFL. There is a place for reserve teams, I don't believe it's in the pyramid where they can have an impact on promotion, relegation, play-offs. As well, reserve teams exist at the whim of the parent club and as a result they can be wound up at short notice, which is not a healthy situation for the league to be in.

The SOSFL is only a few clubs demise away from becoming an unviable league, which is something none of us want to witness.

I take it there is no way an independent club could be run in the town without the big clubs input.

With Stranraer being 2 games away from dropping into the LL just a few months ago, they would have been one disastrous season from dropping into SOSFL. The Reserves would have had to fold; what would happen to the coaches, players, etc.

Also if Stranraer had dropped into LL, would the reserve team survived with the financial implications resulting from that.

Sorry to sound a bit of a doom merchant, but feel these are realistic concerns.

Statement from Castle Cary Park this morning.

"Club Statement

The club are sad to announce that Jamie Adams is to step down from is position as club Manager.

Jamie took over the job in 2021/22 Season from Colin Wilson & lead the club to two top 2 league finishes narrowly losing out last season on the last game & also winning 2 cups along the way.

Jamie said

“I’m gutted to be leaving.  It’s a great wee club & I’ve enjoyed every minute off it.  The players have always gave me everything I ask from them and a bit more.  Where they have taken the club the last few seasons is nothing short of incredible.

I’d like to thank the players, coaches & all the committee for their efforts over the last 2 & a bit seasons.

Unfortunately due to work & family commitments, I can no longer give the time & effort that’s needed for the job. 

I wish the lads & the club every success in the future”

Chairman Eric Houston said

“As club chairman, I’d Like to thank Jamie for his incredible work over the last few years.  It’s been a rollercoaster ride for us all.  

The professionalism & work ethics he brought to our club are simply outstanding. He’s been massive for us and we wish Jamie & the family all the best for the future.  

Thank you Gaffer💛🖤"

Hopefully get something sorted soon.

6 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

There isn't a lot of info online re Athletic, other than in 2008 or 2009 their then manager resigned and the club folded.

Looking back through SOSFL other than Stranraer themselves at some point, the Athletic in the noughties and now the Reserves; there hasn't been a consistent presence in the league from the town or local area.

I'm not comfortable with a designated reserve team being in the SOSFL. There is a place for reserve teams, I don't believe it's in the pyramid where they can have an impact on promotion, relegation, play-offs. As well, reserve teams exist at the whim of the parent club and as a result they can be wound up at short notice, which is not a healthy situation for the league to be in.

The SOSFL is only a few clubs demise away from becoming an unviable league, which is something none of us want to witness.

I take it there is no way an independent club could be run in the town without the big clubs input.

With Stranraer being 2 games away from dropping into the LL just a few months ago, they would have been one disastrous season from dropping into SOSFL. The Reserves would have had to fold; what would happen to the coaches, players, etc.

Also if Stranraer had dropped into LL, would the reserve team survived with the financial implications resulting from that.

Sorry to sound a bit of a doom merchant, but feel these are realistic concerns.

This is exactly why i'm an advocate of the SoSFL merging with the WoSFL in some way (as a Div3 or 4 South).

Nothing against the SoS, a good league, no doubt run by good folks for the benefit of clubs in D&G. But its presence at Tier 6 potentially could doom my club.

A responsible and proactive governing body would see this, get folks around the table and sort it.

Edited by MrFizz