2024/25 - The season where marks are made

1 hour ago, MrFizz said:

This is exactly why i'm an advocate of the SoSFL merging with the WoSFL in some way (as a Div3 or 4 South).

Nothing against the SoS, a good league, no doubt run by good folks for the benefit of clubs in D&G. But its presence at Tier 6 potentially could doom my club.

A responsible and proactive governing body would see this, get folks around the table and sort it.

You make a good point re the SPFL clubs. I don't imagine for one moment the SOSFL ever had it in mind that an SPFL would fall down into our tier 6 league.

Although there is no official boundary between the SOSFL and the other 2 leagues in the Lowland area; it has been made clear that if any of the D&G clubs from Tier 5 up were to ever be relegated to Tier 6 there is no place for them in either the EOSFL or WOSFL.

Would Annan, Stranraer, QOS be a sustainable club if that were to occur, its difficult to think positively about that outcome.

Honestly I do not see any merger happening without input from the SFA. The WOSFL have indicated that at 80 clubs they are unwilling to expand any further and in reality do not need the south clubs to further enhance the league. From the SOSFL perspective it would in effect be the end of the SOSFL unless it became part of a regional setup covering D&G and possibly South Ayrshire.

Again there is no apparent appetite for regionalisation in the Lowland area. Further regionalisation would most likely start at tier 8 leaving WOSFL and EOSFL with 2 divisions, unless the Lowland League expands to have a 2nd division or the much talked about LL East and LL West.

But as you rightly indicate, the lead for any further changes to the pyramid needs to come from the top i.e. SFA, which seems very unlikely.

On 08/08/2024 at 15:45, An Absolute Imposter said:

If you are into this sort of thing.

FB_IMG_1723124887534.thumb.jpg.6d5a7131d1b41c28deb5f388b31acd94.jpg

FB_IMG_1723124529003.thumb.jpg.8b3b6ff24f3c74ad84715b6fe614d40a.jpg

Very surprised Trialist isn't on the list myself.

Go young Joe good start at Castle Cary.

Yes good point AI. Trialist Shaun Mac leading the way. 
Really deplorable Nithsdale bent the rules to play the trialist in the opening games when he should have been suspended. Then suddenly signed the trialist so he would miss the game against bottom of the table W&B through suspension. 

Sums the hoodlums up that run Nithsdale. No credibility in the League for a few years now. 

The fault here surely lies with the rules. I always thought the rule was: suspended from all football: I stand to be corrected but if this was done "legally" surely the SFA should change it. 

23 minutes ago, info said:

The fault here surely lies with the rules. I always thought the rule was: suspended from all football: I stand to be corrected but if this was done "legally" surely the SFA should change it. 

I know there been issues with the SFA's system for registering new players. So clubs have been putting players down as trialists. If clubs have circumvented the rules there is probably nothing the league can do; if they can be shown to have broken a rule, then imagine action can be applied retrospectively. Would be good if anyone in the know regarding the rules around this could drop a wee post.

Full times 

Lochar 1-3 Newton S

Lochmaben 0-2 Creetown

Mids 0-4 Vale unconfirmed

Saints 0-1 Uppers 

Reserves 4-1 Nithsdale

W&B 1-14 Star

Headlines 

W&B score a goal.

Vale only 100% left, Reserves undefeated, Lochar and Nithsdale suffer first defeat, Creetown start to move up table, Uppers suggest that are best in the bottom.

Table up shortly.

10 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Good win for the Creesiders at the weekend, hopefully a sign of things to come.

You would have to have a heart of stone, not to feel sorry for the plight of W&B. 

The issue with only having  22 games and with the gap in quality top to bottom; it only takes a couple of defeats and you are out of the running for the title. May be different this season with a few clubs in the top half already dropping points. Will be interesting to see how Vale and the Reserves continue.

W&B really struggle to get players. They are a young squad in the main. Seem to get a majority of players from Galloway Thistle Youths, once the players go overage. It can be painful to watch, the boys try their heart out, but the gap between them and the rest of the league is very evident.

6 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

The issue with only having  22 games and with the gap in quality top to bottom; it only takes a couple of defeats and you are out of the running for the title. May be different this season with a few clubs in the top half already dropping points. Will be interesting to see how Vale and the Reserves continue.

W&B really struggle to get players. They are a young squad in the main. Seem to get a majority of players from Galloway Thistle Youths, once the players go overage. It can be painful to watch, the boys try their heart out, but the gap between them and the rest of the league is very evident.

The South of Scotland league has been going for a long time and almost without exception, every club has had its dark patch. Some have fought through it and are still in the league; others have folded.It says a lot for this sparsely populated region that the league have always kept going. If you keep plugging away you will get through.   

2 hours ago, info said:

The South of Scotland league has been going for a long time and almost without exception, every club has had its dark patch. Some have fought through it and are still in the league; others have folded.It says a lot for this sparsely populated region that the league have always kept going. If you keep plugging away you will get through.   

Just had a thought about what you say about clubs folding, struggling, improving, succeeding.

The league is and has been part of the pyramid since its inception. This comes at a cost to the clubs trying to maintain a standard on the field and off it. 

Unless I am totally wrong with this, it is done without any or much support financially, structurally, administratively, from the governing bodies and custodians of football in this country.

Heston, Fleet and any others I am unaware of may still be on the go bringing football to their local community, if some help or guidance was available.

I've said it in other forums; this fledgling pyramid is growing slowly and minutely in spite of the apparent apathy shown to it by our governors.

As for the continuation of the SOSFL in a viable future; I honestly couldn't say. I do know from conversations that some of our clubs are very close to becoming extinct, being kept alive by some very hard working committees and volunteers. On the flip side some clubs do give off a vibe of growth and strengthening.

Not being involved in any capacity I honestly don't know what the country's governing bodies could be doing to assist all the clubs and leagues in the lower reaches of the pyramid. 

What I would say is, there doesn't seem any evidence they are doing anything.

4 hours ago, info said:

Nice sentiment but W&B are an utter waste of time. It's not a one or two season situation so should be euthanised asap.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Nice sentiment but W&B are an utter waste of time. It's not a one or two season situation so should be euthanised asap.

Get rid of Saltcoats Victoria while you're at it. All those years rootling round the bottom few spots of the Ayrshire District. Move to regionwide divisions didn't do them any favours.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

Get rid of Saltcoats Victoria while you're at it. All those years rootling round the bottom few spots of the Ayrshire District. Move to regionwide divisions didn't do them any favours.

I can think of no other team who have consistently lost to zero in almost every match. W&B are exceptionally rotten and offer nothing to any competition they're in, except an influencer of goal difference. Your comparison with Saltcoats holds no water as W&B take up a place in the Scottish Cup despite not having scored a goal in the tournament for 8 years. A quick Google says they have lost 57 goals and scored zero since 2015.

Waste of time and money. Fact!