Gibraltar Vs Scotland 3rd June 2024, Euros warm up

Time for a thread for this match and the build up to it.

I'm thinking we start with:

Gordon

McRorie Porteus Hanley McKenna Robertson 

Gilmour Jack

Forrest  Shankland McGinn

... Basically to:

a) give game time to a few of the rustier/untried players (Jack, Hanley, McRorie, Gordon) and...

b) protect vital and breakable assets - Tierney,  McGregor, McTominay 

All being well,  give the b) lads a run out later, along with a debut for Doak.

Thinking 4-0 Scotland

38 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Time for a thread for this match and the build up to it.

I'm thinking we start with:

Gordon

McRorie Porteus Hanley McKenna Robertson 

Gilmour Jack

Forrest  Shankland McGinn

... Basically to:

a) give game time to a few of the rustier/untried players (Jack, Hanley, McRorie, Gordon) and...

b) protect vital and breakable assets - Tierney,  McGregor, McTominay 

All being well,  give the b) lads a run out later, along with a debut for Doak.

Thinking 4-0 Scotland

It’s like in Championship Manager when the game decides your players aren’t going to recover all their energy for some reason.   Anyone at 95% or less is on the bench.  So basically your normal centre halves plus your squad players. 

On 06/05/2024 at 23:14, BFTD said:

Gibraltar have gone twelve games without scoring a goal, and conceded an average of four goals per game during that time. Obviously this means that they'll score at least once, and we'll score fewer than four. In the absence of Steven Fletcher, perhaps time for Che to knock in a couple; it's been a while.

I think this is the worst run of form they've had so far, so Gibraltar had better get a goal to give us the chance to despair.

Just now, MazzyStar said:

What the f**k is Gibraltar? 

Bit of Spain that we nicked for shits 'n' giggles.

Among their many achievements:

• conquerors of Scotland's champions
  • erm...
  • that's it.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Bit of Spain that we nicked for shits 'n' giggles.

Among their many achievements:

• conquerors of Scotland's champions
  • erm...
  • that's it.

It’s like Dumbarton if it was a country. Imagine… 

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

It’s like Dumbarton if it was a country. Imagine… 

I, for one, look forward to the formation of the People's Republic of Dumbarton, and fully support their inevitable military action against the hated degenerates of Port Glasgow.

Mcrorie id imagine will start both games seeing as he’s not played there for Scotland. Ralston to get the other half. 
be nice to give doak a debut.

try and get as many goals as possible, get the confidence up a bit after the last series of games. 

Too much has been made of Scotland's run of bad form.

They were matches against France, Netherlands, Spain and England. All defeats but three were friendlies.

Then there were qualifiers against Norway and Georgia. Both draws.

Then a friendly defeat against Northern Ireland.

We can't play friendlies. Last time we win one was three years in 0-1 win away to Luxembourg.

The matches against Netherlands and England, France and Northern Ireland are why I'm so confident.

Everyone concurred that we should've beat Netherlands. We almost matched France in possession and passes.

We shouldn't have lost to England. (Don't believe me? Watch it again. England had 2 shots on target in 60 minutes. One was Robertson laying on a goal on a plate.) Gunn had 2 saves to make in the entire match.

The Northern Ireland match was a complete anomaly. We had 82% possession and Gunn had no saves to make. We only lost because Patterson laid their goal on a plate.

The common denominator all of the aforementioned matches is that we played good possession football and we looked comfortable on the ball.

If those four matches were competitive games we would've gotten at least four or five points.

In the euros, teams playing ‘quite weii’ in matches will be awarded 3 points for defeats by 1 goal and 1 point for defeats of 2 or 3 goal margins.

this will be judged by a randomly selected group of 12 supporters of the team in question

Keep McGinn, Robertson, Tierney and McTominay wrapped up in tartan wool, give Doak his chance, give Adams some minutes and let's see what McCrorie has to offer is all I want please 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Too much has been made of Scotland's run of bad form.

They were matches against France, Netherlands, Spain and England. All defeats but three were friendlies.

Then there were qualifiers against Norway and Georgia. Both draws.

Then a friendly defeat against Northern Ireland.

We can't play friendlies. Last time we win one was three years in 0-1 win away to Luxembourg.

The matches against Netherlands and England, France and Northern Ireland are why I'm so confident.

Everyone concurred that we should've beat Netherlands. We almost matched France in possession and passes.

We shouldn't have lost to England. (Don't believe me? Watch it again. England had 2 shots on target in 60 minutes. One was Robertson laying on a goal on a plate.) Gunn had 2 saves to make in the entire match.

The Northern Ireland match was a complete anomaly. We had 82% possession and Gunn had no saves to make. We only lost because Patterson laid their goal on a plate.

The common denominator all of the aforementioned matches is that we played good possession football and we looked comfortable on the ball.

If those four matches were competitive games we would've gotten at least four or five points.

I think you've posted this same post several times now and its still a load of shite. 

We shouldn't of beaten any of those teams you mentioned. 

We had one good half against Holland and football is at least 90 mins long not 45. 

We were outclassed by England, it was men's v boys at times but your obsessive hatred for them blinds you from seeing that.

The Northern Ireland game just showed how weak we are in trying to break down a tight defence and we could of conceded a few that night. 

The Georgia away game was a bit of a eye opener, we were really bad that game and came out lucky to get a draw IMO. 

Playing possession football doesn't win you games as you seem to suggest here, we could end up playing like NI against Germany and come away with a 1 nil win. 

Edited by Butters Scotch

We're underdogs in the three games and that suits me fine. If we play against Germany the way N Ireland did against us I'll be happy with that.

To suggest we were unfortunate against England is nonsense. They were miles better. France stepped up a gear and blew us out the water. Netherlands was a bit unfortunate but shows we don't have the depth at that level to truly compete against the tier 1 nations. 

I'm usually hopeless at predicting the starting lineup, but I think that it will be almost impossible to guess for this game. Will the likes of Gordon, Hanley, Cooper and Jack who haven't played an awful lot/at all be favoured over regular starters? What approach will Clarke take with the goalkeepers for these friendlies? None of this really matters, tbh, and I can see the Gibraltar game being a bit like the Luxembourg one in 2021 where we win without any fanfare. 

Posted (edited)

It seems almost impossible to predict given unknowns but I’d imagine SC starts with his preferred back 5 and goalkeeper.

McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour, Christie all to share minutes. Shankland and Adams probably. Half each. Both will want/could do with a goal.

The Finland starting XI is presumably what we’ll start against Germany with.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm