Gibraltar Vs Scotland 3rd June 2024, Euros warm up

33 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Just feel like with an injury like tgat and the lack of game time then there was no point even calling him up. Let the boy work on getting fit and get a good preseason under his belt.

Others who are playing and fit could have got a chance to prove themselves for a place.

Just looks likes Scotlands attempt at a Theo Walcott scenario.

He obviously has a lot of potential and they are getting him in and around the squad for a bit of experience when there is wiggle room with such a large pre tournament squad. It worked well with Gilmour and really isn’t a huge issue IMO. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

lol

You seem to be claiming some sort of moral victory because we laboured to a win? 

Funny behaviour for a Scotland fan.

Edited by Gordopolis

Posted (edited)

@Hendricks Where was your boy Shankland today? all we saw was link up play. I thought he was a goalscorer.

90 mins against Gibraltar and cant find a way to goal? If that was Dykes or Brown he'd be getting it tight from you.

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)

Gilbraltar are just a shitier version of Northern Ireland, 10 men behind the ball at all times and attempting the odd counter attack.

Again we are so slow, one dimensional and ponderous on the ball when trying to take the game to lesser teams, players just seem to take too many touches before releasing it to a teammate. 

We certainly should of been a couple of goals up by half time and at least we were creating chances though. 

The Finland match will be more telling as I expect them to come out to win the game 

Edited by Butters Scotch

Posted (edited)

That was a hard watch, but have to agree with SC: a win, couple of goals, a clean sheet and no injuries - all positives to counterbalance the frustration of the flimsy finishing. At least we created that hatful of chances.

Individually, I thought McRorie looked quite pacey and linked up okay  though his final ball was a bit wayward.

McGinn seemed oddly peripheral - perhaps due to the formation? 

Shankland is better than he showed tonight, but he had his chances and didn't capitalise.

Forrest looks like a decent pick for the squad in that he's tricky and has a few strings to his bow. He might not be the speed merchant he was in his youth but he's a far smarter player now. 

Edited by Gordopolis

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

I guess his 31 goals this season were a figment of our imagination 

IMG_1699.thumb.jpeg.83cad156f6b5529c15a7cc529692cc84.jpeg

Its one thing scoring for Hearts. International level is a different ballgame. You'd be dishing it out if it wasnt a Hearts striker so you have to accept the criticism. Fair's fair.

Edited by 2426255

20 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He obviously has a lot of potential and they are getting him in and around the squad for a bit of experience when there is wiggle room with such a large pre tournament squad. It worked well with Gilmour and really isn’t a huge issue IMO. 

It is an issue when 1 striker is drops out injured and you are left with only 2.

And going from 28 to 26 leaves hardly much wiggle room considering there are doubts over a few more established players fitness already. Is having a boy who has been out injured for 5 months and not played since December in the pre tournament squad really a good idea? Would bringing in fresh players who are fit and ready to play be more benificial to the squad?

Gilmour was a different story all together as at least he was actually fit going into the tournament.

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

Its one thing scoring for Hearts. International level is a different ballgame. You'd be dishing it out if it wasnt a Hearts striker so you have to accept the criticism. Fair's fair.

Aye clearly today signals the end of his minutes for Scotland. When he scores in Germany I’m sure you’ll sit on your hands 🤣

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Aye clearly today signals the end of his minutes for Scotland. When he scores in Germany I’m sure you’ll sit on your hands 🤣

I'll look forward to that. Not Finland? I don't think he'll start either, but maybe from the bench? 90 mins against Gibraltar and no goals, f**k me man that's bad is it not? 

Edited by 2426255

5 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

It is an issue when 1 striker is drops out injured and you are left with only 2.

And going from 28 to 26 leaves hardly much wiggle room considering there are doubts over a few more established players fitness already. Is having a boy who has been out injured for 5 months and not played since December in the pre tournament squad really a good idea? Would bringing in fresh players who are fit and ready to play be more benificial to the squad?

Gilmour was a different story all together as at least he was actually fit going into the tournament.

These are separate things, he can (and should) still bring another forward in without it having to affect Doak. It should only be about dropping one centre-back or losing an injured midfielder plus a keeper to get us to 26. I'd rather have a half-fit wonderkid who might be able to give you 10 minutes off the bench than a seventh centre-back.

13 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

I guess his 31 goals this season were a figment of our imagination 

IMG_1699.thumb.jpeg.83cad156f6b5529c15a7cc529692cc84.jpeg

Pocketed by "Bernardo Lopes" and "Jack Sergeant".

Today was not a good day for Laurence Shankland's Scotland hopes.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

You seem to be claiming some sort of moral victory because we laboured to a win? 

No, I'm not Phillip Clement. So what did you learn then from this game then?

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Germany wouldn't be fearing us if we'd stuck 20 past Gibraltar either.

This.

I mean, we were more notable because of our form this time last year, but the idea Germany would be fearing us in any guise.... they're one of the most successful international sides ever and they're hosting the tournament. Irrespective of whether we're good or pish, I don't think a nation like Germany, with all its pedigree, goes into a major tournament "fearing" anyone. FFS they've been at pretty much every tournament since the conception of international tournaments, and have won a good chunk of them. Fear is a projection on our part, irrespective of how well we're doing.

1 minute ago, ogoftheskye said:

This.

I mean, we were more notable because of our form this time last year, but the idea Germany would be fearing us in any guise.... they're one of the most successful international sides ever and they're hosting the tournament. Irrespective of whether we're good or pish, I don't think a nation like Germany, with all its pedigree, goes into a major tournament "fearing" anyone. FFS they'verum 00 been at pretty much every tournament since the conception of international tournaments, and have won a good chunk of them. Fear is a projection on our part, irrespective of how well we're doing.

but your forgetting we've ended our winless run

13 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Pocketed by "Bernardo Lopes" and "Jack Sergeant".

Today was not a good day for Laurence Shankland's Scotland hopes.

Can’t even spell his name correctly. What a riddy. 

10 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

When players get injured he can replace them if he wants. This Scotland team has some problems, this isn’t one of them. Carver said a few days ago he has no worries over him and he may feature in the 2nd friendly rather the 1st one. He offers us something completely different and is worth the risk.

I’ve no doubt Clarke would be getting hounded if he ignored youngsters and stuck with the same old faces like Jacob Brown etc.

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

No, I'm not Phillip Clement. So what did you learn then from this game then?

Pretty much the things I detailed in my post:

25 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

That was a hard watch, but have to agree with SC: a win, couple of goals, a clean sheet and no injuries - all positives to counterbalance the frustration of the flimsy finishing. At least we created that hatful of chances.

Individually, I thought McRorie looked quite pacey and linked up okay  though his final ball was a bit wayward.

McGinn seemed oddly peripheral - perhaps due to the formation? 

Shankland is better than he showed tonight, but he had his chances and didn't capitalise.

Forrest looks like a decent pick for the squad in that he's tricky and has a few strings to his bow. He might not be the speed merchant he was in his youth but he's a far smarter player now. 

One thing that was hard to gauge was player sharpness, though nobody who played looked "unfit", which is generally good.

How'd you get on at Pointless?

27 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I’m not entirely sure the international level thing works against Gibraltar. 

Shanklin is too profligate. We need Simon Murray as backup to Adams.

Rank Name Goals Assists Played Goals per 90 Mins per Goal Total Shots Goal Conversion Shot Accuracy
Lawrence Shankland
24 4 37 0.66 136 100 24% 50%
Matt O'Riley
18 13 37 0.50 181 71 25% 61%
James Tavernier
17 10 38 0.45 201 63 27% 51%
Cyriel Dessers
16 4 35 0.63 143 80 20% 61%
Bojan Miovski
16 2 38 0.46 197 84 19% 52%
Theo Bair
15 6 38 0.51 177 57 26% 54%