1 minute ago, Ascal said:

Having stopped fuming at a coupe decisions that let's say could have gone either way a draw was probably fair. Just. Kinda. They definitely had a period in the second half where we were camped on our 18 yard line struggling to break away and hands up and I thought Tiffony was the game-changing sub that JG needs to learn how to make (hint, put them on before 88 minutes, boss). Murray came into the game last 20 minutes as well having been pretty anonymous up until then.

Trap should have done better in the second half, but he was excellent in the first half. Him and MT look a dangerous pair of inside forwards. Will Ferry was my Man of the Match on sheer effort alone. Haven't seen a  100% shift like that since, what? Fuchs? Flood? Gomis?

Vicko settled a lot of nerves with his display, I'm not sure I agree with my esteemed colleague @ArabianKnightthat he's a better RWB than RCB but we'd have to agree that he cant play both so we need someone there. (Vickos old Croatian youth team mate Dominik Orosz is a free agent after aome time in Holland - long shot but if it happens heard it here first). Holt can take a penalty but that's the end of my list of positives, he actually makes the team worse by forcing Graham out of position. Liked Gallagher in the middle tho, and credit VDS and Sibbald doing the hard work the system needs. Decent point all said and done, and lets see what happens in two winnable games coming up.

Agree with most of that, but pretty unfair to single out Holt today. Thought he did fine. 

4 minutes ago, Ascal said:

Having stopped fuming at a coupe decisions that let's say could have gone either way a draw was probably fair. Just. Kinda. They definitely had a period in the second half where we were camped on our 18 yard line struggling to break away and hands up and I thought Tiffony was the game-changing sub that JG needs to learn how to make (hint, put them on before 88 minutes, boss). Murray came into the game last 20 minutes as well having been pretty anonymous up until then.

Trap should have done better in the second half, but he was excellent in the first half. Him and MT look a dangerous pair of inside forwards. Will Ferry was my Man of the Match on sheer effort alone. Haven't seen a  100% shift like that since, what? Fuchs? Flood? Gomis?

Vicko settled a lot of nerves with his display, I'm not sure I agree with my esteemed colleague @ArabianKnightthat he's a better RWB than RCB but we'd have to agree that he cant play both so we need someone there. (Vickos old Croatian youth team mate Dominik Orosz is a free agent after aome time in Holland - long shot but if it happens heard it here first). Holt can take a penalty but that's the end of my list of positives, he actually makes the team worse by forcing Graham out of position. Liked Gallagher in the middle tho, and credit VDS and Sibbald doing the hard work the system needs. Decent point all said and done, and lets see what happens in two winnable games coming up.

He's our best option there if Thomson is in front of him and Strain is out. I don't think he balances the defence well enough 

McClelland Gallagher Graham

Would be ideal for me, not blessed with pace any of them but Ferry and Strain could provide that.

Id love McClelland, but St Johnstone won't let him walk. Maybe pre contract in the winter if it looks like we'll stay up but beyond that they'd want high 5 figures minimum for him to go any sooner

1 minute ago, Ascal said:

Id love McClelland, but St Johnstone won't let him walk. Maybe pre contract in the winter if it looks like we'll stay up but beyond that they'd want high 5 figures minimum for him to go any sooner

I'd pay it for him now tbh. We could sign an unknown quantity from further afield that costs more in wages.

I reckon St Johnstone would probably want 100k for him at least though sadly.

19 minutes ago, Groot said:

Agree with most of that, but pretty unfair to single out Holt today. Thought he did fine. 

My big problem with Holt is he forces Graham into the wrong side and it's like Zoolander with him, he only turns one way. Look at the penalty he gives away? If we just played Holt RCB I'd be OK but it's the shift that's required that I hate

We’re a couple of signings away from a very decent squad.  Kai needs to offer more when he gets his chance and hopefully Odada will improve.

On 26/07/2024 at 21:47, ArabFC said:

On a more negative front, we're desperately in need of someone who can play in place of Strain - Thomson ain't it.

To be fair, I think this is the first time I've seen Miller Thomson start on the right wing, and presuming that's his preferred position, I'm happy to reevaluate. He was excellent for much of the game.

Defensively though we still are in trouble, especially down that right hand side. For the first goal Graham jumped in when he had no chance of getting to the ball leaving them rampaging down that flank and the penalty was a horrendous attempt at a challenge.

On the positive front. credit to whoever made the signings. All pass marks + thus far.

31 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I reckon St Johnstone would probably want 100k for him at least though sadly.

If Tony Watt magically left the club tomorrow we'd save 200k - 250k in wages, that's the frustrating thing here

6 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

To be fair, I think this is the first time I've seen Miller Thomson start on the right wing, and presuming that's his preferred position, I'm happy to reevaluate. He was excellent for much of the game.

Defensively though we still are in trouble, especially down that right hand side. For the first goal Graham jumped in when he had no chance of getting to the ball leaving them rampaging down that flank and the penalty was a horrendous attempt at a challenge.

On the positive front. credit to whoever made the signings. All pass marks + thus far.

Holt came right across from his side to crash into two United players covering that ball already, if he stayed back post we've a chance to keep the second ball out.

Would need to watch the build up again but will accept if Graham made the mistake initially 

Just now, ArabianKnight said:

Holt came right across from his side to crash into two United players covering that ball already, if he stayed back post we've a chance to keep the second ball out.

Would need to watch the build up again but will accept if Graham made the mistake initially 

Happened way before Holt came across. 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Think it's glaringly obvious after that what exactly United need.

He's northern Irish and he plays for a team in blue along the road.

Graham looks far better on the left and Holt is only good enough for cover.

Not displeased with that today but we definitely need another body at the back and we'll be much better balanced.

Cover for LB would be nice but who do you bring in as Ferry looks sensational tbh.

Sam McClelland? Boy did alright in the Championship but he's a mile off the standard of the other signings we've made.  Be as well going with Cleall-Harding as bringing McClelland back. 

McClelland was fine but we can do much better. 

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

Sam McClelland? Boy did alright in the Championship but he's a mile off the standard of the other signings we've made.  Be as well going with Cleall-Harding as bringing McClelland back. 

Agreed

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

Fair enough, maybe a bit of sentiment when him and Graham looked fantastic together during their run of games closing out our league title getting in my thoughts.

Agreed re: Harding, he's probably a fair bit quicker than big Sam.

48 minutes ago, Ascal said:

My big problem with Holt is he forces Graham into the wrong side and it's like Zoolander with him, he only turns one way. Look at the penalty he gives away? If we just played Holt RCB I'd be OK but it's the shift that's required that I hate

That's quite a niche analogy,  and one that I made a fortnight ago. There were only three folk in that car and I'm going to assume you're neither my son nor my dad. It's pretty suspect though. 

Edited by Pull My Strings

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

All well and good saying that… if we’re actually trying to sign someone there.

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

That's quite a niche analogy,  and one that I made a fortnight ago. There were only three folk in that car and I'm going to assume you're neither my father nor my dad. It's pretty suspect though. 

My son is 2. Your move?

Maybe just great minds thinking alike? 😉 

Edited by Ascal

After seeing a lot of on-line gnashing of teeth and general negativity in the run up to today's game, as is often the case, the doom-mongerers get it wrong.

Obviously a bit under the cosh late in the game, but in general thought we were fine. Dundee were by a distance physically far superior to anything we faced last season but, particularly in the first half, we caused them a lot of problems.

Too early to make judgements on the new guys but they all look promising

Unsurprisingly didn't miss Watt or Middleton one bit

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

Unsurprisingly didn't miss Watt or Middleton one bit

My big concern is we won't miss Middleton until Ferry misses a game and we have no natural replacement who can give us even 70% of Ferry at LWB