We should definitely fancy our chances v Motherwell. New boys should all be up to speed by then, Docherty too, Sevelj back from suspension as well.

Today’s performance wasn’t perfect but we competed and fought for everything, Ferry and Trapanovski look really dangerous down the left side.  Van Der Sande works away and is a great team player but doesn’t ever look like scoring, wonder if Moult deserves a start next week v saints in a game that we should be creating chances in.

Holt did well in midfield but imagine that will be a one off once we have more options available.  Thought Gallagher was very good too.

Good enough today. How good will depend on how highly you rate the opposition. Goodwin clearly set up to counteract St Mirren's physical approach and it worked fine. Holt won a lot of headers and did the job he was asked to do. Not sure St Mirren created anything of note until the first minute of injury time when pressure of numbers managed to see a ball trickle just wide of the goal. The rest was just lots of long balls into the box which the defence and keeper dealt with fairly comfortably. 

We had three hit the woodwork, plus one which seemed to hit a St Mirren defender in the face on the line, so it could have been much more comfortable. Ferry, Trapanovski and, less so, Babunski, all dangerous throughout the game. Still, I didn't think we ever looked in control of the game or comfortable in possession. Rather it was a game of moments, which we mostly got the better of.

If this was just a one-off, taking into account the occasion and opposition, then fair enough. It worked and without too much drama. I'd really rather see a midfielder in midfield though and a team which looks more in control of the occasion. 

Beaton awful, as per, but it didn't cost us.

Edited by Pull My Strings

34 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

That's a ridiculous rule then.

If the games don't count for registration purposes they shouldn't count for discipline points.

It is really bizarre. We have a guy suspended because of games which the opposition didn't even have to play.

Presumably with Doc back and centre backs now being played in midfield, we're gonna see more of Babunski playing on the right... which is a shame. He's clearly a player more comfortable playing centrally.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Presumably with Doc back and centre backs now being played in midfield, we're gonna see more of Babunski playing on the right... which is a shame. He's clearly a player more comfortable playing centrally.

I would imagine Sevelj comes in for Holt and that's your starting XI when available.

1 hour ago, PartyFears2 said:

We have to absolutely demand Watt plays against us. 

Hmm. A tongue in cheek comment I'm sure, but I'm hoping we've had the foresight to ensure he won't play  against us.

Whatever we all think of Tony Watt, he's capable when he wants to be. I for one am hoping he doesn't play. 

9 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Think Babunski will be more of a right attacking mid, cutting inside a lot and won't get as wide as Trap does on the left. Rely on Stephenson for our width from RWB. 

It will be interesting where Sevelj will fit in now. I think Goodwin has signed him on the premise of his ball playing ability from the back so I think he will be playing RCB more often or not with the possibility of Manny moving to the middle and Graham LCB. I would leave Gallagher and Holt on the bench.

Stephenson is an interesting signing also as he is a CM that can play RB. I can only assume that he was signed to act as Strains replacement so will be at RWB a lot but it also sort of tells me that Goodwin may not like what he's seen so far with Odada and he wanted someone that can also cover there. 

8 hours ago, Groot said:

Hmm. A tongue in cheek comment I'm sure, but I'm hoping we've had the foresight to ensure he won't play  against us.

Whatever we all think of Tony Watt, he's capable when he wants to be. I for one am hoping he doesn't play. 

Yeah. The jokes over. 

sorry 

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Apologies if others have mentioned this, but approaching Tannadice from a different angle on Sunday, II was very impressed by the refurbishments done to the outside of the stadium. It looks fresh and CalForth deserve praise for their work.

Yeah it does look good.

As a whole, the club deserve praise. The feeling in the stands is night and day compared to when Asghar was kicking about our corridors. The toxicity back then when a player made a mistake (along with a pretend keeper) was a huge part in what took us down imo.

Goodwin also deserves huge credit. He was on a hiding to nothing when he took over. The start he made was terrible and going into the championship had big pressure on him to succeed and he sailed it. Raith pushed us all the way and any other season with that tally could have won it themselves. I think Partick in 3rd were 20pts behind us.

The signings he has made so far, have made a positive impact and that feeds into the stands.

From where we were with Asghar to where we currently sit in terms of feeling amongst the fans in such a short space of time is a huge well done to everyone. Still things to prove though and it won't be easy 

Edited by Glen Scotia
Edit

I'm still not a fan of Goodwin but the signings look good and credit to him, he is trying to implement a clearly defined system and the players have been signed to fit into it. In itself, that's a massive improvement on the last few years. 

Whether or not he can turn us into the Scottish Leverkusen remains to be seen. 

While its obvious to say, it still needs said. 

We are going to win games, we are going to lose games.  We will take a hammering at one point, and we will give out a hammering at one point.  We will win games we should have lost and we will lose games we should have won. 

At the end of the day we can't get too high or too low when the good/bad things happen.  

I've seen enough so far this season that makes me happy, but I know its going to take more than one year before we can look at things like European qualification or challenging for cup wins.

2 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

While its obvious to say, it still needs said. 

We are going to win games, we are going to lose games.  We will take a hammering at one point, and we will give out a hammering at one point.  We will win games we should have lost and we will lose games we should have won. 

At the end of the day we can't get too high or too low when the good/bad things happen.  

I've seen enough so far this season that makes me happy, but I know its going to take more than one year before we can look at things like European qualification or challenging for cup wins.

About where I'm at. I've got a sneaking suspicion we'll get top 6 this year though. Not by steam rolling other teams I'm of the view teams will be taking a lot of points off each other and I'm hopeful we'll go on a mini run at the right time to edge us into the top half of the table.

If we beat St Johnstone I think that will cement the view further for me.

Just found out Scott Allan’s newest employer is Kelty Hearts.

No disrespect to the Fife club but I can’t help but think that if he had been a little bit smarter, less of an egotist and willing to apply himself more he might have managed to carve out a more successful career.

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just found out Scott Allan’s newest employer is Kelty Hearts.

No disrespect to the Fife club but I can’t help but think that if he had been a little bit smarter, less of an egotist and willing to apply himself more he might have managed to carve out a more successful career.

While I agree, he'll have made a reasonable amount out of football, similar to Tony Watt perhaps, while playing for about as many clubs as Watt. 

Whether he's invested it in chickens, I don't know, but he'd earned enough aged 20 to buy an Audi Q7 which cost him in excess of £6 million, due to the damages he's having to pay (still) after hitting a pedestrian in Hampshire.

Aside from that he's been contending with diabetes since he was a toddler, and then was diagnosed with a serious heart condition 4/5 years ago. 

He was probably ill-advised as a youngster, but given the set backs he's faced, it looks like he's matured considerably and has, so far, made a decent career out of football.