Line up face Germany

Posted (edited)

McTominay at rwb WAS a success. We finished in the playoff spot in the nation's league.

That ain't nothing!

As far as Chrstie at rwb. I do think he would and could play there, but that boat has sailed. Debuting it against Germany would be Guardiolaesque in its manner of trying to be clever and flipping the script.

It's also worth noting that in the past four years, when Hickey and Patterson have been absent, Clarke has tried Palmer, O'Donnell, Fraser and Robertson at right wingback. Just shows he isn't scared to experiment.

Thank God we have a creative manager in charge. Long may it continue.

But anyway, it's a moot point.

It's Germany, though, I would be surprised if Steve Clarke didn't have something up his sleeve to surprise them.

Edited by SlayerX

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In what way did Ralston not convince against Finland? I (and most others) thought he did just fine. He was also very good in the 0-0 away to Ukraine.

He’ll be just fine at RWB. He’s no Hickey but he’s a mile ahead of McCrorie in my opinion. 

Christie to play RWB for the first time in his puff at the opening game of the Euros is farcical.

Darn. Without the last sentence I was giving you an upvote. ;)

I'm not singling Ralston out. The day he had the running battle with Newmar is when I took a shine to him. Pity he didn't break him in half.

Ralston will be on the same side as Florian Wirtz. Forgot about attacking, we need the best defensive and the most intelligent and the most disciplined player at rwb. I don't care if he he's right footed, left footed, two left footed, etc.

If Steve Clarke deems that to be Ralston, then he has my backing.

Really hope all XI are disciplined and on their game. With Musiala and Wirtz, any mistakes will.be siezed on.

Edited by SlayerX

Hanley vs Porteous, you could talk me into either, I'm not fussed but think Clarke prefers Hanley.

Striker should be Adams if he's fit enough.

Midfield is the biggest decision for me, it's 4 from 5 of McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Gilmour and Christie. I think Christie has to start because of his pressing and he offers us a different skillset with his dribbling. I also think Gilmour would be a good fit for the Germany game but without going full Gordon Strachan, we are quite a small team physically especially without Dykes and McTominay's height for set pieces in both boxes is a big factor.

I think if McTominay is fit it will be him, Gilmour, McGinn and McGregor but I'm not sure that's who I'd play.

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

McTominay at rwb WAS a success. We finished in the playoff spot in the nation's league.

That ain't nothing!

As far as Chrstie at rwb. I do think he would and could play there, but that boat has sailed. Debuting it against Germany would be Guardiolaesque in its manner of trying to be clever and flipping the script.

It's also worth noting that in the past four years, when Hickey and Patterson have been absent, Clarke has tried Palmer, O'Donnell, Fraser and Robertson at right wingback. Just shows he isn't scared to experiment.

It's Germany, though, I would be surprised if Steve Clarke didn't have something up his sleeve to surprise them.

McTominay wasn't a success, if he were then he would be playing there regularly for us since our midfield is our most stacked area and our CB's we are very weak in. 

11 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

McTominay is better suited to right wing back than Christie. 

If we want to play all 5 midfielders and Adams that's the best solution. 

Wouldn't disagree with that. Good shout.

The basics of football is picking players who you trust. We know that we can trust McTominay and Christie, whereas Ralston and McCrorie are largely unknown quantities.

Plus his successful stint as a centerback (we had three successful clean sheets, which got us to Euro 2020, when he played there.) makes him the outstanding candidate to play rwb.

You'd lose goals and presence if you shifted McTominay, though. So it's Sophie's choice.

Some of yous (well mainly one person) are definitely at it suggesting McTominay to play at False 9, LWB, RCB and RWB and one of our best creative outlets and supremely one footed Christie to play RWB. 

Hanley would typically be our number one CB but after the last two friendlies, it appears he isn't quite fully upto speed and for me the Euros is coming around too soon to risk playing him. 

Conway had a great cameo against the Finns, looked very lively and I can see him getting a lot of gametime at the Euros off the bench. 

Team will be: 

Gunn

Ralston Hendry Porto KT Robo

McGregor Gilmour

McTominay(if not injured)/Christie McGinn

Adams

Posted (edited)

It would be hysterical if Steve Clarke did play McTominay up front with Christie and McGinn flanking him.

This place would probably self combust. 😛

I wouldn't rule it out. Adams is a low-middle team EPL striker. And Shankland and Conway are English Championship/SPL standard strikers .

Steve Clarke solved the defensive conundrum. Now he needs to solve the striking one.

Best of luck.

Edited by SlayerX

I wouldn't laugh the alternative choices at RWB approach out so easily. You genuinely look at Ralston against mid tier Scottish Premiership opposition and think you fancy your chances against him. I don't think it's stupid to consider if someone else could do it as well as him. The time to try that was likely the friendlies though and we didn't so it will be Ralston or Mcrorie. Deeply frustrating we can only get 4 of Gilmour, Mcgregor, Christie, Mctominay and mcginn in the team.

If Adams is fit then surely we aren't even debating him or shankland v Germany. Imagine trying to play on the counter against those defenders with Shankland. They could let him play 5 yards offside and catch up with him. To be used as a last 20 minute sub in every game I'd imagine. He's just one of those Kris Boyd esque guys who is immensely good at a certain level but at the top levels of the game it just doesn't work.

I would personally play Mckenna but expect it to be Hendry/Porteous. There's really not a lot between all none Tierney centre backs.

16 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Some of yous (well mainly one person) are definitely at it suggesting McTominay to play at False 9, LWB, RCB and RWB and one of our best creative outlets and supremely one footed Christie to play RWB. 

Hanley would typically be our number one CB but after the last two friendlies, it appears he isn't quite fully upto speed and for me the Euros is coming around too soon to risk playing him. 

Conway had a great cameo against the Finns, looked very lively and I can see him getting a lot of gametime at the Euros off the bench. 

Team will be: 

Gunn

Ralston Hendry Porto KT Robo

McGregor Gilmour

McTominay(if not injured)/Christie McGinn

Adams

I’d agree with all of this

I would like to see all 5 mids on the pitch at once but it’s not happening 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I wouldn't laugh the alternative choices at RWB approach out so easily. You genuinely look at Ralston against mid tier Scottish Premiership opposition and think you fancy your chances against him. I don't think it's stupid to consider if someone else could do it as well as him. The time to try that was likely the friendlies though and we didn't so it will be Ralston or Mcrorie. Deeply frustrating we can only get 4 of Gilmour, Mcgregor, Christie, Mctominay and mcginn in the team.

Thank you!

Exactly.

I don't think many people have seen Wirtz in action. If an SPL standard player can fancy their chances against Ralston then Wirtz is going to have a ball.

But it's far easier to mock, deride and make silly wee comments and act like a hardcase on the net in front an audience than it is to actually think and ponder.

It's not banter. It's pathetic and not even worth a reply. :)

The net gives people cyber courage. It's sweet. 😀

Edited by SlayerX

11 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

If Adams is fit then surely we aren't even debating him or shankland v Germany. Imagine trying to play on the counter against those defenders with Shankland. They could let him play 5 yards offside and catch up with him. To be used as a last 20 minute sub in every game I'd imagine. He's just one of those Kris Boyd esque guys who is immensely good at a certain level but at the top levels of the game it just doesn't work.

I would personally play Mckenna but expect it to be Hendry/Porteous. There's really not a lot between all none Tierney centre backs.

No one is laughing about looking at alternative options at RWB or any position for that matter but certain posters are acting as if they're playing a game of Fifa and would like to stick any old player in a position that they have no familiarity with before a major tournament. Ralston getting pelters on here but he's twice the player SoD is and look how well he did at Wembley. 

McCrorie or Ralston will not be dropped for anyone in that RWB spot, unless both get injured. Simple as.

17 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Thank you!

Exactly.

I don't think many people have seen Wirtz in action. If an SPL standard player can fancy their chances against Ralston then Wirtz is going to have a ball.

But it's far easier to mock, deride and make silly wee comments and act like a hardcase on the net in front an audience than it is to actually think and ponder.

It's not banter. It's pathetic and not even worth a reply. :)

The net gives people cyber courage. It's sweet. 😀

The thing is posters come back with valid replies to your posts but you choose to ignore them because you have no sane counter-argument...

2 hours ago, SlayerX said:

That ain't nothing!

Thankfully we qualified for the the last Euros despite McTominay losing the Serb at the corner for their goal