D-Day commemoration

Posted (edited)

My grandfather was part of the first wave and was gunned down on the beach.  Thankfully he had a big telecomms backpack for communicating where they should shell, which took much of the flak when he was on the ground.

He never talked about the day itself but always liked to say how he was responsible for the only fatality from Orkney during the training for Operation Neptune.  He accidentally sent the wrong coords and a gunboat ended up shelling a field in which the unfortunate cow was standing.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Been an incredibly moving few days. Watching veterans trying to stand to attention during the Last Post moved me to tears this morning.

Many family members served in WW1 and WW2. Most never talked about what they witnessed and experienced. 

I still cherish the medals and service records I have in my possession. Some family members threw the medals in the bin when they arrived as the experience they endured was fcuking brutal. Thankfully other family members recovered them and passed them onto me for safe keeping.

Sadly there never will be peace in the world while we have corrupt politicians and evil dictators.

My Dad wasn't demobbed until 1946, missed most of the action thankfully, spent most of the war in India and a bit of time in Egypt before going home. Said he never met an angry German but when the natives were getting restless in Cairo he was given 4 SS POWs as bodyguards for a wander about town. Both my granddads fought in Gallipoli, the shambles was probably their fault as well as Churchill's, both survived to see their grandson, likely the greatest moment of their lives.

My paternal grandfather was a quartermaster in WW2. The jammy get still claimed he got chased across France in a jeep by the Germans.

My Uncle Johnny on my mother's side was a pilot during the same conflict. There is a pic of him with three colleagues, all probably in their teens/ early 20s. 

Johnny was the only one that survived, but died from cancer aged 36.

Massive 'patriot', Stephen Yaxley-Lennon celebrating D-Day ......with an AI image of soldiers heading back into the water. Gimp. 

20240606_172339.thumb.jpg.7c125edb4d75b4edbac6b9dc4457b755.jpg

42 minutes ago, PWL said:

Massive 'patriot', Stephen Yaxley-Lennon celebrating D-Day ......with an AI image of soldiers heading back into the water. Gimp. 

That’s a real photo. They went to the wrong beach. 

It's incredibly humbling to hear the stories of courage and sacrifice from the veterans who fought that day like the one below. We salute you, sir. 

Biden%20salutes%20veterans%20at%2080-yea

1 hour ago, PWL said:

To be fair, the AI was probably unsure what side poor Tommy's on, so it made a picture of Yanks running away from Nazis.

23 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

He's followed it up by claiming it's a picture of casualties being evacuated!

He's as thick as fucking shit.

Screenshot_20240606_160343_Chrome.jpg

He's right, I'm in it, I got a skelf off the wooden bit of my gun thing and thought I better see the nurse.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

He never talked about the day itself but always liked to say how he was responsible for the only fatality from Orkney during the training for Operation Neptune.  He accidentally sent the wrong coords and a gunboat ended up shelling a field in which the unfortunate cow was standing.

😅 I've read the story of the unfortunate coo elsewhere. So it was your granda to blame?

My Dad was (just) too young for WW2 but for his entire life he refused to buy a Japanese car. He never bought a German one either but he didn't seem to have the same hatred for them. It wasn't until after he was gone I learned his older cousin had died as a PoW in Burma.

Edited by Shotgun

10 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I read somewhere that during the war, it was a National Unity Government, where Churchill played the Admiral who conducted the war while it was more the Labour Party that played Captain, steadying the ship, ensuring everyone was clothed and fed.  After the War, the Labour Party was elected to continue doing what it was already doing while Churchill's role as Admiral was no longer required.

It was also noted that while Churchill had always despised the Nazis (seeing them as a threat to the Empire) the same could not be said for a lot of his colleagues in the Tory Party.

I read somewhere that some soldiers who had experience of the ANZACS , and maybe Canadians and Americans , did not vote Tory because they wanted an end to the class system 

4 hours ago, Molotov said:

Been an incredibly moving few days. Watching veterans trying to stand to attention during the Last Post moved me to tears this morning.

Many family members served in WW1 and WW2. Most never talked about what they witnessed and experienced. 

I still cherish the medals and service records I have in my possession. Some family members threw the medals in the bin when they arrived as the experience they endured was fcuking brutal. Thankfully other family members recovered them and passed them onto me for safe keeping.

Sadly there never will be peace in the world while we have corrupt politicians and evil dictators.

Their stories are hidden away as we get bombarded with the proud of war stuff. These people should never have been put through these nightmare scenarios. Imagine having one life and this is what you are forced to do with it. Fcuk that. 

5 hours ago, PWL said:

You compare him to the real veterans and it shows what an absolute walloper he is, no respect and no knowledge of what he's on about.

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

😅 I've read the story of the unfortunate coo elsewhere. So it was your granda to blame?

My Dad was (just) too young for WW2 but for his entire life he refused to buy a Japanese car. He never bought a German one either but he didn't seem to have the same hatred for them. It wasn't until after he was gone I learned his older cousin had died as a PoW in Burma.

My wife and her sister( now in Glenrothes) were interned with other members of her family by the Japanese in Burma.

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f4040ab30f490be47ff1c0c945f36b0b.jpeg

From my grandfather in WW1. A mild gunshot wound. People can make such a fuss about gunshot wounds these days.

Self inflicted?

13 hours ago, Molotov said:

It is countries able to act on their own that are the biggest problem.  Hungary could elect a corrupt dictator as leader but he could not go to war with Romania over their common border (or even suggest he might) because they are both in the EU.

You might say they are both in NATO but then that is true of Greece and Turkey who still have their squabbles.

14 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

That’s a real photo. They went to the wrong beach. 

"D'you know where you're going?"

"Thought I was Sword, but if you say so..."