D-Day commemoration

Posted (edited)

My great uncle was operating one of the landing craft. He was only 16/17 at the time. Never really talked about it.

He thought he'd get home after VE Day but was transported half way around the World to prepare for the possible invasion of Japan. Never got home until 1947 but at least he got back.

I could barely get out my bed for school at that age 😂

Edited by Claudia Gentile

I heard on the radio that the event with all the politicians and Charlie etc. Was a ticketed event and sold out soon after being put on sale.

Apparently quite a few veterans were unable to get tickets and so could not attend.

Sums things up for me in a nutshell.

My father took part in the Normandy landings.  Apart from him saying that, he didn't talk about the war at all.  My father in law never talked about the war either. The only war related thing I ever heard family members say was that he was one of the first into one of the concentration camps.  No wonder he never said anything about his experiences.

Great granda was a gunner for the navy in the pacific theatre.

Used to show us pics of kamikaze planes. Both cool & terrifying.

Posted (edited)

We had a delivery driver back in the day that most people couldn't really be bothered with that I didn't mind at all - we spent hours chatting about all kinds of boring shite until one day he just threw in that he'd went ashore at Sword.

He wasn't in the first wave and met absolutely no resistance - said the first contact with the enemy he made was on the 7th when a sniper started taking pot-shots at them crossing a field

I'm sure he had more stories to tell but that was all I ever got out of him about the war.

He was a fair age when I met him and he'll be long gone now - I only ever knew him as Cyril, never knew his second name, nice wee fella but boring as f'ck most of the time.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

My great grandfather died at the age of 33 on the 11th June 1944.

He was in the 5th Battilion Black Watch, Royal Highlanders.

He is buried in Ranville War Cemetery in France and also has his name on Luss War Memorial.

My gran would have been 6 when he died. 

5 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My great grandfather died at the age of 33 on the 11th June 1944.

He was in the 5th Battilion Black Watch, Royal Highlanders.

He is buried in Ranville War Cemetery in France and also has his name on Luss War Memorial.

My gran would have been 6 when he died. 

Robert Hamilton?

You'll have probably seen this but just in case:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2342822/robert-hamilton/

My Grandpa died when I was around three so never really knew him. My mum and gran often talked about his time in the war though, he was in the Commandos and they were caught and held in a POW camp for some time and he really was never the same after. 

Got a shit tonne of medals though so swings and roundabouts 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Yes that's him. 

Thank you. 

No bother, went down a bit of a rabbit hole,

On the 6th of June 5th btn Black Watch went ashore at 'Frey-sur-mer' at 20:30

On the morning of the 11th, when your gt grandfather was killed, they'd been tasked with capturing Breville but met heavy resistance and suffered heavy casualties before withdrawing.

https://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/war_5BlackWatch.htm

I think "Frey-sur-mer" is a D-day typo for "Graye-sur-mer" - Juno Beach.

80 years ago right now your gt grandfather was at sea and around 8 hours away from landing

RIP Robert.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

On the morning of the 11th, when your gt grandfather was killed, they'd been tasked with capturing Breville but met heavy resistance and suffered heavy casualties before withdrawing.

I think "Frey-sur-mer" is a D-day typo for "Graye-sur-mer" - Juno Beach.

80 years ago right now your gt grandfather was at sea and around 8 hours away from landing

RIP Robert.

It was his first posting, too. At 33 years old he would have been quite old amongst his Battilion. My gran had very little memories of him due to how young she was when he died. 

I am 33 now with a 5 year old and can't begin to imagine what he went through.

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The D in D-Day stands for day.

Day-Day doesn't sound as catchy.

I like to think it stands for Di-Day. As the axis where diddys.

At school we had a German language teacher.  As we were snotty asssed kids we used to joke that he must have been in a concentration camp as he looked so old, gaunt and frail 

Fast forward about 20 year ago and his obituary was in the paper.  Turns out he spoke more than German, multiple languages and, he was also translator.

He was not only at Nuremberg war trials but was also on the USS Missouri when it took the Japanese surrender...the guy lived history yet never spoke about it!

Can they not do remembrance like this?

Keep it all on the day in question, instead of the poppy garbage that goes on for about a month.

In fact maybe do it once a decade. 

5 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

I only ever knew him as Cyril, never knew his second name, nice wee fella but boring as f'ck most of the time.

Respect to all who served. But not many had a song written about them.
IMG_0608.jpeg.bb70f3da285ecdd806f818eb57bc612c.jpeg

On a more general point about commemorations, I was a kid when the 50th anniversary stuff was going on. I remember going on holiday to Blackpool in 1990 and there were all kinds of things on there to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. First time I tried a zip wire. 

I can't remember the D-Day stuff from 94, but do remember going to watch them light the flares on the Ochil Hills in 95 to mark the end of the war. 

The 50th was a really big deal and as the years have passed - and, frankly, the remaining soldiers aged and passed away - it's become far less of a thing. The whole history of the second world war is far less known by kids now than it was. 

3 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Seems like a hell of a fuss for a toastie machine.