Munich

welshbairn

Four of us arrived in Munich on Wednesday around teatime. Checked in to our digs and then went to a pre-booked restaurant nearby which was delicious. We then headed to Marienplatz which had a great atmosphere and was pretty busy. Or so I thought. 

On Thursday morning, we headed back there and had a few beers before making the short walk to see the filming of Late Night at the Euros which we all enjoyed. There were only 150 in the audience but it's a small studio so the vibe was excellent. I got to shake the hand of one Lyndon Dykes after they finished filming then bumped into Susie McCabe on the way out. We then sat in a nearby beer garden with steins for a couple of hours before having dinner at löwenbraukeller. If I'd thought Mariemplatz had been busy the night before, it was nothing compared to Thursday when we headed back. It was fucking insane and amazing at the same time. I don't think I've sung as much as that since Dumbarton won the challenge cup semi final in Oswestry. We did encounter an angry bar owner who didn't seem too pleased to be making money hand over fist. He gave me four beers, then screamed at me to get out (after he'd taken my money of course) and following me out the door to make sure I wasn't loitering. Then we went back to the first place we'd been in the morning before heading back to the hotel for another hour or so of drinking before heading to bed. Thursday is definitely in the top ten best days of my life. 

We had an easy Friday morning (we probably had to tbf) and didn't leave until lunchtime. The u-bahn to the fan zone was busy but not too much. Getting in was fairly quick and seamless. We had a wander to find out where evething was. We joined a bar queue which took an hour which we put down to them also doing food so we weren't overly bothered at this point. We all grabbed something to eat plus a few beers each, found a seat and enjoyed them. When we joined a different queue, we thought it would go a bit more quickly but we ended up waiting for two and a half hours but we gave up because it was a stramash at the front. I think the main two problems were lack of bar staff and a shite queuing system. There were definitely people jumping in near the front as there were gaps on either side of the bar that were  easily accessible. A bank style queuing system and more staff would've solved the problem. That was my only gripe of the trip. The atmosphere was tremendous and Ted Christopher did a superb set on the main stage including classics like Caledonia, Sunshine on Leith and ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus. We managed to get a good spot at the front of the stage to watch the game. Obviously it didn't go our way but the Germans around us were respectful to us by not rubbing our noses in it and just celebrating amongst themselves. At half time, we decided to leave as our feet, knees and backs were all sore from standing in one position for a lot of the day. That and what was happening on the pitch. We arrived back at the hotel for the final fifteen minutes and had a few beers before retiring. We came home yesterday and we are all really glad we went. 

Tl;dr I had a blast.

5 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Munich was class. As already mentioned the U-Bahn issues were terrible with the overcrowding. Hopefully it's not the same on Wednesday night in Cologne. 

At least you know Cologne will smell better

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Munich was class. As already mentioned the U-Bahn issues were terrible with the overcrowding. Hopefully it's not the same on Wednesday night in Cologne. 

Heard from someone who was at Hungary v Switzerland yesterday who said the travel and security was a breeze. I wish Scotland kick offs weren't all 9pm though.

Augustiner-Keller beer garden was some place. No beers available under one litre, good food, Scotland songs galore, a good number of fans from Germany and other teams, big screen for the Saturday games. Great experience and atmosphere. 

Was in a great pub on Thursday night too about 3 levels underground. Looking dodgy as you were going down the stairs but everyone who came in was met with a cheer 😅 place was bouncing all night with a band playing and then Scotland tunes. 

A huge disappointment on Friday night but Munich will live long in the memory. 

Not a big fan of Munich, find it to always be overly busy.

(Probably doesn't help that everytime I've been there for football ( 4 x Hannover 96 / 1 x Scotland) that we've lost/been pumped).

The U-Bahn to and from the stadium was as it is for every Bayern home game.

Didn't have any issues as regards overcrowding. On the way out to the stadium, it's best to get on the U6 at Sendelinger Tor.

Getting in to the stadium was a bit haphazard. Didn't help that the entrances for SSC tickets were split between South & North. Got in via the "wrong" entrance & just walked round the stadium which is the practice for Bayern home games.

U-Bahn back without any hiccups to Sendelinger Tor, then 5 minute tram out to my hotel.

Was in the Augustiner Biergartenfor an enoyable afternoon with a couple of mates. Certainly confuses people wearing a Scotland top and speaking fluent German to them.

Not really Munich related at all but we came for a trip to Garmisch-Partenkirken and saw some of the team at a coffee shop. Clark and Shamkland walked past us so we said good luck for Wed to Clark and left it at that, didn’t want to be annoying. 

Just had to mention that somewhere 🤣

5 hours ago, German Jag said:

Not a big fan of Munich, find it to always be overly busy.

(Probably doesn't help that everytime I've been there for football ( 4 x Hannover 96 / 1 x Scotland) that we've lost/been pumped).

The U-Bahn to and from the stadium was as it is for every Bayern home game.

Didn't have any issues as regards overcrowding. On the way out to the stadium, it's best to get on the U6 at Sendelinger Tor.

Getting in to the stadium was a bit haphazard. Didn't help that the entrances for SSC tickets were split between South & North. Got in via the "wrong" entrance & just walked round the stadium which is the practice for Bayern home games.

U-Bahn back without any hiccups to Sendelinger Tor, then 5 minute tram out to my hotel.

Was in the Augustiner Biergartenfor an enoyable afternoon with a couple of mates. Certainly confuses people wearing a Scotland top and speaking fluent German to them.

You should head back down when H96 II play Die Löwen, Giesing is a great neighbourhood.

5 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

You should head back down when H96 II play Die Löwen, Giesing is a great neighbourhood.

That‘s the plan for next season. Promoted Ulm & Munster, plus the likes of 1860 München, RW Essen Unterhaching. 
Just hoping the fixtures computer is kind. 

8 hours ago, German Jag said:

That‘s the plan for next season. Promoted Ulm & Munster, plus the likes of 1860 München, RW Essen Unterhaching. 
Just hoping the fixtures computer is kind. 

Giesinger Bräustüberl is a really nice brewery in the area and only a few minutes from the Grünwalder Stadion.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Did you leave straight after the game or hang around for a while?

Headed off straight after. No interest in any kiddy on applause for the "performance".

Walked from the North section where the €50 SSC tickets were, back to Frötmanning.

Would say a 10 minute wait at the top of the stairs then allowed down on to the platform.

I was at the game in Munch on Monday and they kept the bars at the ground open for an hour after full time, which made for a slightly more tolerable journey back on the U Bahn. I'm at the game here tomorrow and I think I'll take one of the shuttle buses to the fan park after the game