Germany v Scotland

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

Spot on. It’s worrying that Clarke has looked at the squad and picked Christie over Gilmour. It was clear as day from literally the first minute of the game that Germany were having far too much joy passing round our midfield, which is not to be unexpected given the quality of their players, but at least try something to disrupt them. Kroos was standing like a quarterback pinging balls out wide with not a Scotland jersey near him. 

I wouldn’t say worrying, I really like Gilmour but out of possession he’s not as strong and regardless of how we played we were always going to be out of possession a lot. Christie is much better at getting the ball back from the opposition, so I kind of understand it. 

Just now, welshbairn said:

Very easy coming from a couple of stops north of the stadium, fucking horrible getting home though, pitch dark and folk tripping over barriers, some barging going on and near fisticuffs. If it's similar at Cologne I'll be arriving a full three hours early and drink and eat at the stadium, after the game too. Arrived 2 hours early and the queues were already massive for security, first time I've arrived more than half an hour before kick off. I fucking hate queuing.. 

At the entrance I was at there was two small gates for tens of thousands of people, then moving into an absolutely tiny search area - it was bizarre. I know others took well over an hour to get in, arriving early too. 

I see UEFA have posted a survey 😂

8 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I agree with dangerous tbh. We got on one of the first ones and the display said the one after was in 48mins which I took to be wrong tbh but made people panic a bit none the less.

it was very crowded and I was a bit worried about getting crushed tbh. It didn’t help that those standing at the doors wouldn’t move to let people off, nor pay any attention so they ended up getting shoved off the train at one stop because people needed off. 

I was surprised how bad it was, it’s not like the Allianz isn’t used to capacity crowds. 

Yeah, got on at Marien Platz and at every stop you are getting crushed more and more as people attempted to force themselves on to the train. The lack of staff etc was wild!

Gilmour wouldn't have made the slightest difference.

When we had the ball the issue was that every time Ralston or Porteous got the ball they were absolutely surrounded and couldn't find a pass into midfield. Countless times the ball was either harried out of play or ended up shelling it up front to no one

Could have had xavi or pirlo in there but if you can't pass to them they can't do anything with it

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Spot on. It’s worrying that Clarke has looked at the squad and picked Christie over Gilmour. It was clear as day from literally the first minute of the game that Germany were having far too much joy passing round our midfield, which is not to be unexpected given the quality of their players, but at least try something to disrupt them. Kroos was standing like a quarterback pinging balls out wide with not a Scotland jersey near him. 

Clarkes not a tactics man

Just now, MarkoRaj said:

Gilmour wouldn't have made the slightest difference.

When we had the ball the issue was that every time Ralston or Porteous got the ball they were absolutely surrounded and couldn't find a pass into midfield. Countless times the ball was either harried out of play or ended up shelling it up front to no one

Could have had xavi or pirlo in there but if you can't pass to them they can't do anything with it

That's because we were light in midfield 

Ball watching and lack of energy is inexcusable, especially in the opening minutes. The players froze, the manger did nothing to change what was clearly going wrong on the first few mins.

Looking on the bright side, which is about the size of a beermat, a Germany this good (though I grant you they weren't up against much) surely makes it less likely that England emerge as tournament winners.

And that excellent laddie who walked from Scotland to Germany for charity, and who then suggested he might also walk home if we had a good tournament, can safely choose between planes, trains and ferries.

Just now, Jammyp said:

Ball watching and lack of energy is inexcusable, especially in the opening minutes. The players froze, the manger did nothing to change what was clearly going wrong on the first few mins.

He's never changed anything 

He puts the formation on the park then off you go

If it goes wrong it goes wrong 

I couldn’t believe how bad that was and Germany just totally bossed it. McGinn completely anonymous to the point I’m not even convinced he was there (I was quite far away from screen). Porteous should be sent home for that lunge, being a man down after already looking completely inept was beyond disastrous, Germany could have made that the biggest thrashing in the tournaments history if they’d wanted to and the only positive was that it was only 5-1 , can’t believe we even managed to score. So embarrassing watching Keane and Wright trying not to just come out and  say Scotland were shite and instead they seemed genuinely disappointed for us.

4 hours ago, SH Panda said:

We have a decent chance against Switzerland and Hungary tho.

Sorry to have to tell you but Scotland are the worst side in this group. Couple that with our so called 'good' players in shite form and it doesn't look great.

49 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I compared it to a provincial club playing away at Ibrox or Parkhead

You don't really know what that means do you?

Is it time the sfa went out and got an experienced decent manager, a Klopp or someone in that calibre, pay him a decent wedge, i get there is ability difference between germany and us, but tactically there was a massive difference also, maybe someone who’s managed at the very highest level over a number of years. I get Vogts had the pedigree but he couldnt get the best of the team and imo we have quality in areas that an experienced manager could do more with. 

19 minutes ago, Binos said:

Never seen a more humiliating performance from the national team 

Me neither. It outRANKS Iran and Costa Rica, and those were stinking enough. We were deficient in every area. Did I hear a pundit say we were only in Germany’s box twice? That can’t be right. The pre tournament hype reminded me of Argentina 78. Still, it remains “in our own hands” - a cliche we are going to hear a lot over the next few days.

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

If you're playing a back 5 against a time with roaming 10s going from out to in and full backs pushing high, you either need a flat 4 across the middle in a 5-4-1 or to take a few risks and allow some fluidity in who picks up who.

You have to simply sit back and admire the absolute confidence an armchair pundit applies to their own take on tactics. No if's, no but's - just a firm conviction that forums and the missus are fortunate enough to receive 😂

Pathetic stuff last night. They’ve undoubtedly got some world class players, but they weren’t made to work for that win last night at all. From minute one it was clear that we were sitting far too deep and just happy to lump balls at Adams, which was utterly pointless. Our form has been very poor for a while now which is concerning. 

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Provincial clubs as you put it, couldn't play at Ibrox or Parkhead because neither of these places are in the capital of the country.

Happy to help, just don't do it again.

Didn’t know that. Replace the word provincial with ‘wee teams’ in my original post.