Germany v Scotland

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Given the resource gap between the sides it’s an excellent example to use to back up the viewpoint that McCoist is fucking clueless about football, particularly tactics and how to set a team up.

Yes, but in your list of minnows who beat them, the Queens of that time was not a good fit.  Annan would have served your purposes better.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Given the resource gap between the sides it’s an excellent example to use to back up the viewpoint that McCoist is fucking clueless about football, particularly tactics and how to set a team up.

To be fair,  he deserves an obe for the enjoyment he gave to lower league fans 

14 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

There are countless draws and defeats to pot 4/5/6 teams over the past 20 years that are worse still imo.

Kazakhstan away

Numerous dropped points to Lithuania, Georgia, Macedonia 

Belarus home under Walter

Faroe Islands under Berti

The whole world weren't watching those ones

57 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I'm not even sure how he achieved it, despite weeks and months of preparation we weren't at it from the first minute. In the first minute or two we could all tell it wasn't working. 

Yip, literally from the first minute the game was totally one sided.

I've only really seen it that way a couple of times before.  I remember my Dad and I turning to each other just a few minutes into the Morocco game in '98 and agreeing that it wasn't going to happen for Scotland that night.  I also recall a Queens game from a few season back against Patrick Thistle that would see the losers drop into the relegation play-off.  That day, a sliced clearance into the air put us into trouble after 30 seconds and we never emerged from it.

Last night, Germany threatened right away with that one that was given offside that Gunn saved with his head.  It completely set the tone, and ensured that we were in panic mode all evening.

We were always pretty likely to lose and there was always a fair chance we'd be soundly beaten by a fair margin.    I genuinely had not considered the possibility that we'd play as badly as that though.  Just awful from the very outset to the last kick.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yip, literally from the first minute the game was totally one sided.

I've only really seen it that way a couple of times before.  I remember my Dad and I turning to each other just a few minutes into the Morocco game in '98 and agreeing that it wasn't going to happen for Scotland that night.  I also recall a Queens game from a few season back against Patrick Thistle that would see the losers drop into the relegation play-off.  That day, a sliced clearance into the air put us into trouble after 30 seconds and we never emerged from it.

Last night, Germany threatened right away with that one that was given offside that Gunn saved with his head.  It completely set the tone, and ensured that we were in panic mode all evening.

We were always pretty likely to lose and there was always a fair chance we'd be soundly beaten by a fair margin.    I genuinely had not considered the possibility that we'd play as badly as that though.  Just awful from the very outset to the last kick.

It was almost as if the players thought they’d get beat after 4 or 5 minutes. It was like watching Killie v Celtic or Rangers when we are shite, away from home and they are flying.

Edited by NFL12

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Prague under Levein not even in top ten for me - it was a relatively solid performance against a good side.

Only Amsterdam and “the night a team died” in Lisbon early 90s come close to the ineptitude and lack of guts on show last night.

EDIT - completely forgot about Kazakhstan!

it remains to be seen just how good the Germans are, but we made them look flawless and I suspect that will unravel for them.

Prague was a massive chance lost

We had a successful set up for away games at that time 

4 - 5 - 1 

4 - 5 - 1.       with Kenny Miller using his pace up top

and yet that was discarded for something cooked up in a few days on the training pitch

Another forerunner for last night 

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

I know Germany are a tidy team but ... Why did we lay off them so much and let them boss us all over the park?

We went so deep and backed off and it was wave after wave.

Are we just not good enough for this level ? We have some decent enough players ?

The mind boggles when it comes to Scotland and football tournaments.

I don't drink. But today I've been unproductive and wandering and aimless. Hungover, effectively. I can't imagine how you folks who take a drink are feeling.

Oh, and three worst performances? Iran 1-1, shipping 5 to Portugal and having to scramble from 0-2 v the Faroes. Last night will now probably edge one of those off the chart.

10 minutes ago, Need2Speak2Caesar said:

I know Germany are a tidy team but ... Why did we lay off them so much and let them boss us all over the park?

Are we just not good enough for this level ? We have some decent enough players ?

It was a textbook example of how not to play a major nation

20 minutes ago, Need2Speak2Caesar said:

IMHO we had enough men behind the ball at all of their goals but no one could get a legal , decent block , tackle in

Ridiculous !

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Tierney's been a functional right back for us in the past but it negates a lot of the things he does best like getting forward and getting crosses in on the overlap. Robertson played half a game there in Denmark once, it didn't last long for a reason. I'm also not convinced any of our centre backs are good enough to play as a pair at this level.

Thing is, against a team like germany you'd likely reign in your fullbacks going gung ho up the park, have them restrained a bit and stay in shape with their centre halves (helps defensively if they need to tuck in etc) 

And even if the 3 centre halves arent good enough as a pair, just putting a 3rd one in there who isn't really one as well just adds to the confusion, instead you simply beef up the middle of the park in front of them so they only have one job and thats to mark one striker between them both

Germany were always going to have the majority of the ball last night, and (as much as people were saying about it) pressing them high imo wasn't the right option as they have centre halves who are happy to take the ball and come forward 

Instead clarke should have set up to literally cover every man in scotlands 3rd of the pitch, 3 men across the middle of midfield and they each take one of they german 3 mids, shankland up top with adams and christie as your inside 10's

Let kroos, rudiger etc have the ball on the halfway line, f**k all to do with it if they look up and every white shirt is marked and tracked

34 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Thing is, against a team like germany you'd likely reign in your fullbacks going gung ho up the park, have them restrained a bit and stay in shape with their centre halves (helps defensively if they need to tuck in etc) 

And even if the 3 centre halves arent good enough as a pair, just putting a 3rd one in there who isn't really one as well just adds to the confusion, instead you simply beef up the middle of the park in front of them so they only have one job and thats to mark one striker between them both

Germany were always going to have the majority of the ball last night, and (as much as people were saying about it) pressing them high imo wasn't the right option as they have centre halves who are happy to take the ball and come forward 

Instead clarke should have set up to literally cover every man in scotlands 3rd of the pitch, 3 men across the middle of midfield and they each take one of they german 3 mids, shankland up top with adams and christie as your inside 10's

Let kroos, rudiger etc have the ball on the halfway line, f**k all to do with it if they look up and every white shirt is marked and tracked

Recent quote from Julian Nagelsmann about armchair tacticians out there. Directed towards armchair fans and media.

------------------------------------

In our country it's become quite common for fans to judge players, which I don't like to do because I'm just watching it as a fan. I would never sit in front of the TV and say that I would have done so-and-so as the manager or question what a player is doing, because you don't know what's really going on there. It's a terrible example, but there are teams that are really bad at throw-ins in their own half so a team might have a tactic to kick the ball against an opposing player to force them to have lots of throw-ins in their own half or put the ball out of play themselves. The fans just see a lot of balls going out of play and wonder why that is.

When you don't know what the managers plan is and what they might have intended, it's extremely hard to judge. That's not to say that you're not disappointed as a fan when Germany don't play well in tournaments. But I'm not a manager who sits in front of the TV, judges another manager, is constantly making notes or claims that he would have reacted a certain way or made certain substitutions because I wasn't there.

Julian Nagelsmann

------------------------------------

https://streamable.com/kipkso

Clarke has a cheek to talk about 'negative normans' then send out a team to just invite the opposition to shoot. Thrre was zero ambition in that team. You can take getting pumped if you have a go. If Craig Gordon was playing the score would have been halved.

19 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Clarke has a cheek to talk about 'negative normans' then send out a team to just invite the opposition to shoot. Thrre was zero ambition in that team. You can take getting pumped if you have a go. If Craig Gordon was playing the score would have been halved.

Rubbish. The team was set up the same way as it was against Spain (twice) and Norway. It's just because the result didn't go as you wanted it to.

38 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Still pleased Gunn was the goalie not the two from the SPFL.

Still think Zander is the better keeper but I am biased. 

Why would you say SPFL? Would you say Gunn is an EFL keeper?