Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

Jives Miguel

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Thought we did really well last night. I think we were helped by a draw suiting the Swiss. Not sure they were really committing to winning the game in the last 30 . I have a feeling if they'd needed to win that game to go through they would have.

Agree with this bit certainly. The Swiss didn't need to win that game last night and it showed, especially in the second half. A loss would have put them in a difficult place going into their last game with Germany, so they were very happy with the point that put them through. Suited us too really.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It defies belief some folk on here still think Adams is our best forward.

He is the best forward that we have available. I would have had Dykes starting both of these games if he was fit.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hanley? It was 100% Ralston's fault. Did laugh when Moyes had a go at Hanley as well. It's ok for you Sellic boys to criticise your own players if they play shite :lol:

I presume you didn’t see the absolute horror pass he gave to Gilmour then aye 😂

Don't let your hatred for Celtic get in the way of being objective, or your ability to read 🫡

2 minutes ago, stressball said:

I presume you didn’t see the absolute horror pass he gave to Gilmour then aye 😂

Don't let your hatred for Celtic get in the way of being objective, or your ability to read 🫡

Yeah it was a three errors really, but Ralston's was the worst.  Hospital pass from Hanley to Gilmour, who in turn gives Ralston a hospital pass with a guy pressing him. Tony should just blooter it up the line but decides to slip in the Swiss boy instead. 

Just now, Lex said:

Yeah it was a three errors really, but Ralston's was the worst.  Hospital pass from Hanley to Gilmour, who in turn gives Ralston a hospital pass with a guy pressing him. Tony should just blooter it up the line but decides to slip in the Swiss boy instead. 

I actually think Hanley makes two mistakes. Not only does he play that hospital pass but he just completely stops and ball watches after playing it. In that position either he or Hendry should have been dropping deep to receive the pass that Ralston played as he doesn't really have anywhere else to go with it, but they don't and Ralston stupidly plays that pass anyway and we lose a goal. 

Ralston didn't need to play the ball inside, he could have let it come across him and launched it up the line/put it out of play.

Preferable to a blind pass into a dangerous are.

He seems to always check back and inside

5 minutes ago, Richie said:

Ralston didn't need to play the ball inside, he could have let it come across him and launched it up the line/put it out of play.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I actually think Hanley makes two mistakes. Not only does he play that hospital pass but he just completely stops and ball watches after playing it. In that position either he or Hendry should have been dropping deep to receive the pass that Ralston played as he doesn't really have anywhere else to go with it, but they don't and Ralston stupidly plays that pass anyway and we lose a goal. 

9 minutes ago, Lex said:

Between Hanley and Ralston they should have been capable of just blootering it into the corner.

I didn’t really see what Hanley was doing at the point Ralston gives the Swiss an assist because I was just waiting for the goal.

Absolute madness from the pair of them, I wouldn’t criticise Gilmour too much as I’m sure he had his back to play. Arguably though he could have just dinked it out for a throw. 

2 minutes ago, stressball said:

Absolute madness from the pair of them, I wouldn’t criticise Gilmour too much as I’m sure he had his back to play. Arguably though he could have just dinked it out for a throw. 

That argument would stand up to precisely zero scrutiny. He could have, aye, but it would have made no sense whatsoever in the context of the game when Ralston is available. There’s no way of him predicting a mistake is coming in that scenario so just sticking it out for a throw when you have options on would be really poor play. 

5 minutes ago, Richie said:

I've said it repeatedly on this thread - he played that pass in the Germany game and got away with it, and he did it multiple times last night.

I think as he's reserve RB for Celtic he's not used to playing in matches where they're under pressure and he's simply not used to it. I wonder if also (and I don't watch enough Celtic) he's used to passing inside and then that defender is also not under pressure? Or he's used to having a winger ahead who can drop back and support?

It's why I genuinely think SoD would do a better job. Ralston might be better than McRorie on paper (or SoD), but his skills are for a different kind of match 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I think Scotland are a stronger team than Switzerland and was incredibly frustrating to see us settle for 1-1 after they equalised. 

Will no doubt go into the Hungary game thinking we are better than them and get trounced 7-0 now. 

I’m thinking that you didn’t see too much of the game if you think that we settled for the draw. Kept going for the winner right to the end.

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If Ralston doesn't play that pass last night we win the game

No guarantees, but to me it felt like a Swiss equaliser was coming at some point regardless, which is why I'm fairly sanguine about the mistake. Cracking atmosphere and a much improved performance despite the obvious weaknesses. No reason we can't turn over Hungary. 

6 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I've said it repeatedly on this thread - he played that pass in the Germany game and got away with it, and he did it multiple times last night.

I think as he's reserve RB for Celtic he's not used to playing in matches where they're under pressure and he's simply not used to it. I wonder if also (and I don't watch enough Celtic) he's used to passing inside and then that defender is also not under pressure? Or he's used to having a winger ahead who can drop back and support?

It's why I genuinely think SoD would do a better job. Ralston might be better than McRorie on paper (or SoD), but his skills are for a different kind of match 

I've been saying for years that one of the reasons the National Team is (relatively) a lot better than it was ten years ago is because we're not picking eight or nine players from either Rangers / Celtic who aren't used to playing against players as good as them, never mind better. I think that's a fair point about Ralston. He barely plays and when he does he's against players that aren't as good as him, and he's surrounded by teammates who are comfortably better than their opponents.

13 minutes ago, stressball said:

Between Hanley and Ralston they should have been capable of just blootering it into the corner.

I didn’t really see what Hanley was doing at the point Ralston gives the Swiss an assist because I was just waiting for the goal.

I think we’ve clearly been coached to be a bit braver on the ball in our own half. There was a moment in the first half when we played out on our left side started by mctominay which was hugely risky but really impressive too. 

The goal shows the risk of that when you have poor players in there. Hanley just makes an arse of it, I don’t think gilmour has much option and executed his pass ok then ralston just makes a dreadful choice. 

Im sure ralstons instinct is that he’s under pressure so going back to keeper is a safe option but 1) it just isn’t and 2) the execution is just awful. 

Just now, Gaz said:

I've been saying for years that one of the reasons the National Team is (relatively) a lot better than it was ten years ago is because we're not picking eight or nine players from either Rangers / Celtic who aren't used to playing against players as good as them, never mind better. I think that's a fair point about Ralston. He barely plays and when he does he's against players that aren't as good as him, and he's surrounded by teammates who are comfortably better than their opponents.

Apart from when they are playing in European competitions and regularly getting into the latter stages.

24 minutes ago, Lex said:

In no way was the pass to Ralston a “hospital pass”. 

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Dykes is better than Adams but both have been very good for Scotland.

They’re completely different players.  Technically, Adams is light years ahead of Dykes, but Dykes bullies defenders in a way Adams doesn’t. 

If Scotland dominated most teams, this endless “debate” would never happen.  It’d be Adams every day of the week.  But we don’t, and so it’s horses for courses.  

1 minute ago, bennett said:

Apart from when they are playing in European competitions and regularly getting into the latter stages.

Define "regularly"

Ralston's clearly a weak link in the team, but we knew that would be the case when Patterson and Hickey were out. The guy is doing his best though and is probably the best option we have.

Overall he has done OK. Yes It was a bad mistake last night, but he's unlucky it goes to Shaqiri who is capable of that finish.

8 hours ago, PB1994 said:

He’s better than Conway and Shankland by a long way. 

Not sure what that’s got to do with The Caley. Still alive and kicking btw.

So I'm right, you are NUTS .