Line up to play Switzerland

3 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Robertson hasn’t done the inverted thing for Liverpool. Alexander-Arnold normally does that and when he’s not on the field, Joe Gomez does it. Tierney did it for Arsenal with disastrous consequences. I don’t think you want one of them inverting into midfield when our central midfielders are the main strength of our team anyway.

What I do think could be tried though is playing Robertson as a winger.

Are you sure? I was going to post about it, but it would have meant going in depth on Liverpool which I'm not that interested in. A few of his goals were from inside runs which isn't something he has done that often in the past.

*Reading back I assume you mean inverted fullbacks, no he hasn't probably done that and no doubt for good reason.

Just now, 2426255 said:

Are you sure? I was going to post about it, but it would have meant going in depth on Liverpool which I'm not that interested in. A few of his goals were from inside runs which isn't something he has done that often in the past.

*Reading back I assume you mean inverted fullbacks, no he hasn't probably done that and no doubt for good reason.

Yes inverted full backs. Liverpool usually play a 4-3-3 out of possession with either TAA or Gomez (but never Robertson) inverting to make a 3-2-4-1 shape with the ball.

Arsenal play the same shape and when Tierney was asked to invert it didn’t work at all. 

3 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Yes inverted full backs. Liverpool usually play a 4-3-3 out of possession with either TAA or Gomez (but never Robertson) inverting to make a 3-2-4-1 shape with the ball.

Arsenal play the same shape and when Tierney was asked to invert it didn’t work at all. 

Cool, well Robertson has been getting himself into the left sided #10 position for Liverpool and Scotland occasionally. It's something I noticed. Not really been worth bringing up, but seeing as someone else started this discussion.

Edited by 2426255

On 16/06/2024 at 20:27, 54_and_counting said:

Wonder if clarke will see trippier playing the opposite side as fullback and think of trying tierney there and going back 4

I think this needs to be considered.  Tierney at RB and going with a back four.  Ralston/McCrorie are nowhere good enough, and I wouldn't fancy Forrest at RWB.  Though I do think Forrest could come on as one of the wide men later in the game.  

I'd go 4-2-3-1, with massive expectations on the three central midfielders to grab a hold of the game and stop Xhaka.

Gunn

Tierney  Hendry  McKenna  Robertson

Gilmour McGregor

Christie McTominay  McGinn

Adams 

Edited by Desp

20 minutes ago, Desp said:

I think this needs to be considered.  Tierney at RB and going with a back four.  Ralston/McCrorie are nowhere good enough, and I wouldn't fancy Forrest at RWB.  Thought I do think Forrest could come on as one of the wide men later in the game.  

I'd go 4-2-3-1, with massive expectations on the three central midfielders to grab a hold of the game and stop Xhaka.

Gunn

Tierney  Hendry  McKenna  Robertson

Gilmour McGregor

Christie McTominay  McGinn

Adams 

I think this gets posted every time we get a bad result. Anything is possible before the game as no-one is ITK or can read the future, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up that we'll see this if I were you.

We'll by sticking by Gunn for Wednesday but it does give me the fear. 

Anyone who watched the Leeds v Southampton play off game knows what I'm on about. He was a bag of nerves and couldn't cope with the pressure.  

Hopefully he saves a last minute penalty on Wednesday to prove me wrong...

McTominay must play further forward than Friday night, with Gilmour replacing Christie. I rate Christie, but taking McTominay out of his best position for us to accommodate Christie makes no sense. We wouldn't be at this tournament if it wasn't for McTominay playing further up and chipping in with the majority of the goals. 

There's a real temptation to want to see major changes after Friday, but there's a danger there of throwing the baby out with the bathwater and it's quite possible that a better performance versus weaker (than Germany) opponents might be enough to get a result with largely the same players.

I defintely wouldn't change the general shape - as bad as Hungary were on Saturday they got into a lot of good positions in the second half by attacking Switzerland's right side, so I'd suggest that we should be doing the same and that Robertson will create far more from similar positions than any Hungarian did.

I'd be very suprised if Gilmour doesn't start, but who to drop? It wouldn't be Christie for me, but I'm not sure I'd want to drop any of the other three midfield regulars either.

I'd like to see Ché get another chance if he's match fit. Part of me wants to see two up front, but again, who do you drop?

Gunn

Hendry - McKenna - Tierney

Ralston - McGregor - Gilmour - Robertson

McTominay - Christie

Adams

21 minutes ago, Scosha said:

McTominay must play further forward than Friday night, with Gilmour replacing Christie. I rate Christie, but taking McTominay out of his best position for us to accommodate Christie makes no sense. We wouldn't be at this tournament if it wasn't for McTominay playing further up and chipping in with the majority of the goals. 

McTominay played the same deeper role against Spain at Hampden. The game plan was similar. It just wasn't executed well. Same away to Norway (McGinn and Christie swapped sides) and away in Spain.

I'm sure there were variations in the instructions, but positionally it was the same. 

35 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

There's a real temptation to want to see major changes after Friday, but there's a danger there of throwing the baby out with the bathwater and it's quite possible that a better performance versus weaker (than Germany) opponents might be enough to get a result with largely the same players.

I defintely wouldn't change the general shape - as bad as Hungary were on Saturday they got into a lot of good positions in the second half by attacking Switzerland's right side, so I'd suggest that we should be doing the same and that Robertson will create far more from similar positions than any Hungarian did.

I'd be very suprised if Gilmour doesn't start, but who to drop? It wouldn't be Christie for me, but I'm not sure I'd want to drop any of the other three midfield regulars either.

I'd like to see Ché get another chance if he's match fit. Part of me wants to see two up front, but again, who do you drop?

Gunn

Hendry - McKenna - Tierney

Ralston - McGregor - Gilmour - Robertson

McTominay - Christie

Adams

Gilmour will start, I'm sure of that. I think from the rest it might depend on fitness, training and who suits the Swiss game. I know so little about Switzerland I wouldn't want to call it.

I think Gilmour will be in because Clarke hinted that, but also I think we'll look to control the game with the ball. 

If the best approach is to counter and defend deep we should do that, but I just don't think we'll do that mostly because of how bad we were on Friday trying that.

Edited by 2426255

50 minutes ago, Derryboy62 said:

We'll by sticking by Gunn for Wednesday but it does give me the fear. 

Anyone who watched the Leeds v Southampton play off game knows what I'm on about. He was a bag of nerves and couldn't cope with the pressure.  

Hopefully he saves a last minute penalty on Wednesday to prove me wrong...

Angus Gunn plays for Norwich….

Most teams I've seen so far would maul us or at least get a goal or two. Maybe not Ukraine but reckon Albania would make us toil.

Unless we recover the kind of form we showed against the Dutch for most of that game, I can't see us getting anything against the Swiss or Hungary.

45 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Gilmour will start, I'm sure of that. I think from the rest it might depend on fitness, training and who suits the Swiss game. I know so little about Switzerland I wouldn't want to call it.

I think Gilmour will be in because Clarke hinted that, but also I think we'll look to control the game with the ball. 

If the best approach is to counter and defend deep we should do that, but I just don't think we'll do that mostly because of how bad we were on Friday trying that.

I don't think the Swiss have the personnel to relentlessly harry us the way Germany did. They're more about patient control of the midfield. It's got dreary 0-0 written all over it.

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Angus Gunn plays for Norwich….

Lol sorry that's what I meant. 

He was flapping big time from the first minute.  His confidence was destroyed in that game, it really was a terrible goalkeeping performance so I'm not surprised by him throwing a couple in on Friday. 

1 hour ago, Derryboy62 said:

Lol sorry that's what I meant. 

He was flapping big time from the first minute.  His confidence was destroyed in that game, it really was a terrible goalkeeping performance so I'm not surprised by him throwing a couple in on Friday. 

He didn't though.