Line up to play Switzerland

15 hours ago, velo army said:

Shankland is fatter than John Robertson and not even half as good. I'm amazed how highly people rate him.

Why do so many people on this forum have a bizarre hatred of anyone at HMFC?

Shankland clearly isn't fat.

He scored 9 from 15 against the cheeks.  5/7 against h1b5, 4/7 against the sheep, 6 from 12 in European football.   Plus 3 in 12 for the national team. Only 4 starts and less the 5 full games in terms of minutes.

Switzerland played a forward with 45 minutes experience at age 27 and fewer goals in an inferior league this season.

Every other country would have gone into the championships and worked out our main threats then how to counter them.   Turn up on the day and they've wasted their time as our donkey of a coach thinks 60 goals in 2 seasons isn't good enough ahead of che adams?

3 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

The actual lineup won't be too different. However there are a couple of things that could impact this game:

1) Surely the tactics will be very different and we will attempt possession football. 

2) Hopefully the coaching staff and players are absolutely fizzing at what happened and want to prove a point.

We are good enough to do that.

Playing our best midfielder and forward may make a difference. But he won't.

Remember the impact Cameron, McCann, Naismith and Ritchie had in France 1998?   Or Allan Johnstone in Euro '96?  Pick donkeys and get donkey turds as a result.

48 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Our insistence of only playing one formation is so limiting and frustrating. 

We drew with Georgia & Norway and beat Gibraltar using a back-4. We also played the 2nd half against Northern Ireland using a back-4. It's not a silver bullet. Furthermore, the formation and tactics go out the window if the players performance levels aren't there.

6 hours ago, ChrispPancake said:

it hardly matters who plays tbh, we were so bad against Germany that there's almost no point worrying about the Switzerland or Hungary games. 

We can play better than we did on Friday, we've seen that. We were playing closer to our minimum performance levels. So that's a plus. We can be better. Doesn't mean we'll win of course. 

3 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Surely the tactics will be very different and we will attempt possession football. 

Possession football is obsessed about by fans. It about the players performing in the game close to their maximum regardless of the general approach.

We've played well without lots of possession (Spain) and poorly (Germany). We've played well with good possession (Netherlands) and poorly (Northern Ireland).

It's not about that.

I think changing the shape at this stage would be a risk. I would however be picking who is in form (or the least out of form). I love McGinn but does he deserve to play the next game? Surely McRorie is worth a chance at RWB. What forward is looking the sharpest, if it is Conway then through him in. Not saying this has to be the team but I think there needs to be 2-4 changes in personnel for the Swiss game.

Gunn

Hendry McKenna Tierney

McRorie                                          Robertson

Gilmour McGregor

McTominay                                  Christie

Conway

It would be harsh to drop someone like McGinn as he always gives his all and he's not the type who needs dropped to get him to waken up but maybe having him fresh for the Hungary game wouldn't be a bad thing either. If Morgan or someone else is on it in training then I wouldn't be against giving them an opportunity too. 

I think something fresh is what we need at this time.

Edited by ahemps

34 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

We drew with Georgia & Norway and beat Gibraltar using a back-4. We also played the 2nd half against Northern Ireland using a back-4. It's not a silver bullet. Furthermore, the formation and tactics go out the window if the players performance levels aren't there.

We can play better than we did on Friday, we've seen that. We were playing closer to our minimum performance levels. So that's a plus. We can be better. Doesn't mean we'll win of course. 

Possession football is obsessed about by fans. It about the players performing in the game close to their maximum regardless of the general approach.

We've played well without lots of possession (Spain) and poorly (Germany). We've played well with good possession (Netherlands) and poorly (Northern Ireland).

It's not about that.

I'm not sure anyone has said it is a silver bullet regarding the formation. A draw vs Norway/Georgia is probably better than what we have been getting of late and the ability to move formation is obviously hugely beneficial and stops situations like Friday where Germany have a plan that we can't deal with in that formation. Obviously Germany's players in any formation vs us in a perfect formation would still see them heavy favourites but we are so predictable and easy to plan for.

3 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I'm not sure anyone has said it is a silver bullet regarding the formation. A draw vs Norway/Georgia is probably better than what we have been getting of late and the ability to move formation is obviously hugely beneficial and stops situations like Friday where Germany have a plan that we can't deal with in that formation. Obviously Germany's players in any formation vs us in a perfect formation would still see them heavy favourites but we are so predictable and easy to plan for.

We have the ability to move formation in game. We shifted in game to a back-4 against Northern Ireland and believe it or not also against Germany after Porteous was sent off until half time.

We moved formation from 3421 to 352 on 31 minutes. It doesn't stop players having brain farts. Added to that Nagelsmann said in his pre match that Scotland can play in a variety of ways. 

24 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I think changing the shape at this stage would be a risk. I would however be picking who is in form (or the least out of form). I love McGinn but does he deserve to play the next game? Surely McRorie is worth a chance at RWB. What forward is looking the sharpest, if it is Conway then through him in. Not saying this has to be the team but I think there needs to be 2-4 changes in personnel for the Swiss game.

Gunn

Hendry McKenna Tierney

Gilmour McGregor

McTominay                                  Christie

Conway

It would be harsh to drop someone like McGinn as he always gives his all and he's not the type who needs dropped to get him to waken up but maybe having him fresh for the Hungary game wouldn't be a bad thing either. If Morgan or someone else is on it in training then I wouldn't be against giving them an opportunity too. 

I think something fresh is what we need at this time.

One positive to dropping McGinn is that when you're bringing on fresh legs midway through the second half, you can bring on John McGinn!

I'd go with this

Gunn

Hendry McKenna Tierney

Gilmour McGinn

McTominay                                  Forrest

Shankland

Forrest in his natural position after a decent end to the season makes sense to me, McGinn should be in and McGregor dropped, Christie can play anywhere across the attacking midfield so if someone is struggling, then he's your utility man to bring on, and McGregor can come on when legs are tiring, but it won't matter when we go 3-0 up against the Swiss! :D 

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

It's not about that.

Have you never played football before? Chasing shadows all game cause you cannae keep the ball knackers you out at any level in the game therefore increasing the likelihood of of a poor result or performance. Possession will be key in games against Hungary and Switzerland so unsure why you're being rather dismissive about it. Keeping possession without creating chances is a different story but this team has shown it can build up good attacks when we knock it around we'll which we had f**k all of against the Germans

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

It's not about that.

Gifting another side 70%+ possession in the finals of an international tournament means it is just a question of how big a tanking they can give us.

That defensive style of football just doesn't work.

If we are to improve them kind of tactics need chucked in the dustbin of history.

Edited by git-intae-thum

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Even if we did persist with the back three (as opposed to a back five) that could be the starting XI. Forrest at wing back would obviously be a huge risk but arguably no more so than Ralston or McCrorie.

Agreed that McGinn should be the one dropping out for Gilmour either way.

Forrest at wing back would send a message of intent. Quite like that idea.

18 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Forrest at wing back would send a message of intent. Quite like that idea.

I was thinking that at half time on Friday. The options at rb are weak so do we just go for an attacker there and try to balance the side with Robertson on the left. 

Or alternatively can Arnstrong play in that role? 

We are in the situation of lose and we're out so we need to go for it to an extent as that defence doesn't look like it has a clean sheet in it. 

Whether we recognise it this week or in September, this current setup cannot continue to compete in international football without pace. Of all the other ‘average’ nations, they have pace where we don’t.

Morgan and Conway both have pace, but probably too late to start them. 

Shankland makes no sense to start unless we expect to dominate the ball. I’m fine with that if it’s both our plan, and we’re capable of doing it. Otherwise, he’s neither able to effectively counter or act as a target man.

Gilmour has to start. I’d drop McGinn - he’s looked off it in a Scotland shirt for months. His trademark ‘trap and roll’ move seems to becoming less and less effective as defenders appear to be prepared for it, and referees much less willing to give fouls when he’s handled. 

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Whether we recognise it this week or in September, this current setup cannot continue to compete in international football without pace. Of all the other ‘average’ nations, they have pace where we don’t.

Morgan and Conway both have pace, but probably too late to start them. 

Shankland makes no sense to start unless we expect to dominate the ball. I’m fine with that if it’s both our plan, and we’re capable of doing it. Otherwise, he’s neither able to effectively counter or act as a target man.

Gilmour has to start. I’d drop McGinn - he’s looked off it in a Scotland shirt for months. His trademark ‘trap and roll’ move seems to becoming less and less effective as defenders appear to be prepared for it, and referees much less willing to give fouls when he’s handled. 

Strongly agree with all of this.  It's so obvious that Gilmour must start that I wonder if Clarke's stubborn streak will mean that he doesn't. McGinn does need rested.

I don't tend to watch press conferences but watched Robertson and Clarke's earlier this evening. Clarke was at a Strachan level of chippiness at times and certainly came across like a man under huge pressure. Here's hoping he's in a better mood late tomorrow night.

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

We have the ability to move formation in game. We shifted in game to a back-4 against Northern Ireland and believe it or not also against Germany after Porteous was sent off until half time.

We moved formation from 3421 to 352 on 31 minutes. It doesn't stop players having brain farts. Added to that Nagelsmann said in his pre match that Scotland can play in a variety of ways. 

Well yes we do, as does every team who's ever played football at any level.

The examples you give don't reflect a team doing it well.