Line up to play Hungary

Playing 3 at the back seemed to be partly to allow Robertson and Tierney to both play, without one going to right back (maybe some debate about that reasoning?). If that’s right, now Tierney out, we could consider a back 4 now but he isn’t going to is he?

wont want to change at 11th hour

no sign of going that way when a man down

Wont want to expose Ralston (can’t fault his effort tonight, if he looks shaky and was at fault in their goal)

Any changes?
McGinn tired? McTomminay carrying something some have said? Gilmour went off? Adam’s must be gassed, he worked socks off

He’s not changing anything apart from McKenna starting in place of Tierney but we should be going with Forrest on the right. Christie should come in for McGinn as well who had another shocker. 

The Forrest being right wingback isn't a bad shout.

Ralston has had two chances. Germany exploited our right side and so did Switzerland

We need someone better on the ball. Who? I don't know.

Someone should tell Steve Clarke that a wingback doesn't have to be a fullback.

The back three has never convinced me in games where one of Robertson or Tierney have been missing and it was especially poor in the Czech game at the last euros and the Ukraine playoff. Conversely we played a 4-2-3-1 in the nations league two years ago when Robertson was injured and that worked well.

Unless KT’s injury was less serious than it looked, I’m going for a back 4. I think Christie on the right wing would be helpful for Ralston, he’s not going to be scared to track back and double up on Szoboszlai. I’m open to the idea of Hendry playing RB here as I think he has the mobility to do it and we won’t be asking the RB to push forward much when the danger man Szoboszlai is his direct opponent, but equally I’d be fine with giving Ralston another chance and that would probably be my preferred choice. Either or is fine given that McKenna can play LCB and has been okay off the bench in both games.

Gunn

Ralston-Hendry-Hanley-Robertson

Gilmour-McGregor

Christie-McTominay-McGinn

Adams

Steve Clarke should be relieved of his duties and a selection council of P&B Da's should be installed for this crunch fixture.

I'd pick 4/5ths of the Hearts starting XI and the reincarnation of Cafu at RB for me Clive.

I'd be inclined to keep the same thing going from the start and adjust as needed in match.  McKenna in for Tierney and go again.  

Wonder if we will tweak to be more like a 343 with Tierney out.  I noticed that from about 35 mins we were sort of playing 4321 with Ralston playing ahead of that 3 as more of a right winger rather than wing back and Hendry sitting at right back. It was mostly in possession rather than out of where we reverted to the 5.    

I would defo go 4 at the back. We are comfortable enough playing that way and 3 is simply to squeeze Tierney in.

Hungary only play 1 up top and we should be looking to get on the ball more.

Get an extra body in the middle of the park.

I'd go...

Gunn - McCrorie, Hendry, Hanley, Robertson - McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn - McTominay, Christie - Adams

Assuming Clarke keeps the same system and pressing style then I would put Forrest in for Ralston. 

Ralston recovered in the second half but he is so far out of his depth defensively and very limited as an attacking option. We need to win the game and Forrest would give us much more of a threat on that side. McCrorie would be the choice as a RB in a back four. I suspect Clarke will show loyalty to Ralston though so it's rather a moot point. 

McKenna will come in for Tierney and unless there is other knocks, there won't be any other changes.

I did the minutes (including injury time) for tonight's game and added it to the Germany game. We have used 16 players so far in the tournament.

image.png.a063827f92b1bcd665f3672618b33d36.png

When you break down the defence by centre back and wing back it shows that we are a bit light for comfort with Porteous being suspended and Tierney being injured. I wonder if it is possible and maybe wise to call John Souttar up who can cover both Porteous and Tierney. 

image.png.544d34b299dc4ae6d9e3839024b15c07.png

It's a tricky call because if you bring Souttar in then Tierney has to be dropped and you'd therefore need to be sure he has no chance of recovering before the knockout games. 

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I did the minutes (including injury time) for tonight's game and added it to the Germany game. We have used 16 players so far in the tournament.

image.png.a063827f92b1bcd665f3672618b33d36.png

When you break down the defence by centre back and wing back it shows that we are a bit light for comfort with Porteous being suspended and Tierney being injured. I wonder if it is possible and maybe wise to call John Souttar up who can cover both Porteous and Tierney. 

image.png.544d34b299dc4ae6d9e3839024b15c07.png

It's a tricky call because if you bring Souttar in then Tierney has to be dropped and you'd therefore need to be sure he has no chance of recovering before the knockout games. 

You can't call outfield players up mid-tournament.

Ralston, if fit, I would start. He recovered well from the error. He wasn't the only one at fault. Hanley's positioning was rotten. 

Same 11 with McKenna coming in for KT please. 

Edited by the snudge

The Hungary game is less than four days away, and all the players bar McKenna putting in the guts of 90 minutes last night in an energy sapping match.

I'm not sure if going with the same 11 is wise.

Ralston has hardly played all season and was struggling for the last 25 minutes, although that's, coincidentally, when he began to play better.

I think McGregor struggled in the second half and McGinn is out of sorts.

I'd also like to see Clarke utilise his substitutes quicker. I thought he was about 15 minutes to late with the changes last night.

I'd also like to see Conway come in for Adams up front but all this is unlikely.

Clarke will make only minor changes though.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Apparently we have the lone-wolf Billy Gilmour attempting to drag the centre halves (and the team more generally) away from hoof-ball. Barney has pulled the short straw and is having to write a couple of pieces on Scotland - previous Scotland performances to test assumptions not required in this case fortunately. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/19/scotland-learn-to-use-billy-gilmours-talents-and-reap-the-rewards

Screenshot2024-06-20at07_32_58.thumb.png.a4b6fa5bb58b75499fafbd2ea33bd5d1.png

Edited by Pocketman

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Great, another thread of Hearts da's wanting their shite players polluting the national team.

I assume because some people want a genuine goalscorer as opposed to a hard-workng hold up man?

Or maybe we could do something unusual like have both?

That being said, I am not averse to starting Adams with a view to bringing on Shankland to support if we are chasing the goal in the second half.

What I don't want is Clarke waiting till 5-10 minutes to go to make the change.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

8 hours ago, Cheese said:

Steve Clarke should be relieved of his duties and a selection council of P&B Da's should be installed for this crunch fixture.

I'd pick 4/5ths of the Hearts starting XI and the reincarnation of Cafu at RB for me Clive.

Alan Hutton's quite happy doing media these days I think.