Line up to play Hungary

What worries me is the teams ability to produce the same intensity on Sunday

Hungary will be going all out to win and claim 3rd place in the group. If we drop our levels even a fraction they’ll destroy us. We can win on Sunday but it’s going to require the levels going up not down. I’d be very surprised if we changed anything about the shape until at least the hour mark.

We know a draw is no use to both sides

I feel a nervy but hopefully successful evening coming up

Quite simply, we need to go for this from the start. Need to play 2 up front as Adams has a thankless task on his own.  Don't get that the draw last night was a great result as, had we won, takes a lot of pressure off for Sundays game. Clarke should have gone for it last night but, as usual, was way too cautious. 

Ralston needs to be dropped as is adding nothing to the team and Hungary will single him out as a weak link. McGregor and Henry need to follow as well.

Will Clarke do this, off course not as he is too stubborn and doesn't take criticism on board despite it being valid.

McGinn - has been brilliant for Scotland in recent years but was anonymous against Germany and did little last night apart from his final 10 minutes on the park.

Adams - unless Clarke is thinking of radically changing his strategy (spoiler alert: he’s not) then Adams is a better option to start than Shankland.

If Hungary goes ahead Clarke must change things and be offensive; likewise if we are drawing with 20 minutes to go.  I’d rather lose the game in the latter stages then hold on for a meaningless draw.

48 minutes ago, Huisdean50 said:

Quite simply, we need to go for this from the start. Need to play 2 up front as Adams has a thankless task on his own.  Don't get that the draw last night was a great result as, had we won, takes a lot of pressure off for Sundays game. Clarke should have gone for it last night but, as usual, was way too cautious. 

Ralston needs to be dropped as is adding nothing to the team and Hungary will single him out as a weak link. McGregor and Henry need to follow as well.

Will Clarke do this, off course not as he is too stubborn and doesn't take criticism on board despite it being valid.

Mental

49 minutes ago, Huisdean50 said:

I find it amusing people criticising our performances in the last Euros , and against Ukraine , and then wanting us to play two up front 

Our best chance would be to re-energise the team with 4 pairs of fresh legs. 

As we've seen in the qualifiers, if we play with energy and pace we can beat anyone. If we don't, we can lose to anyone.

I'd leave out Ralston, McGregor, McGinn and Adams and replace them with McCrorie, Christie, Morgan and Shankland. 

Would love to be wrong but i doubt we can win with last nights starting 11 (minus Teirney for McKenna).

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

What worries me is the teams ability to produce the same intensity on Sunday

Hungary will be going all out to win and claim 3rd place in the group. If we drop our levels even a fraction they’ll destroy us. We can win on Sunday but it’s going to require the levels going up not down. I’d be very surprised if we changed anything about the shape until at least the hour mark.

We know a draw is no use to both sides

I feel a nervy but hopefully successful evening coming up

Worry it is a bit like last Euros, disappointing first match, get hyped up for 2nd match get a decent draw raise hopes,
Though Croatia were a classy team (or least some of them were)  it did seem Scotland had run out of energy

6 minutes ago, Maltese falcon said:

Worry it is a bit like last Euros, disappointing first match, get hyped up for 2nd match get a decent draw raise hopes,
Though Croatia were a classy team (or least some of them were)  it did seem Scotland had run out of energy

Croatia ?

21 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I would defo go 4 at the back. We are comfortable enough playing that way and 3 is simply to squeeze Tierney in.

Hungary only play 1 up top and we should be looking to get on the ball more.

Get an extra body in the middle of the park.

I'd go...

Gunn - McCrorie, Hendry, Hanley, Robertson - McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn - McTominay, Christie - Adams

I think this is the big problem with 3 at the back. Most teams play with 1 striker, and often a striker who drops deep like Kane, or a striker who drifts all over the place like Havertz. That means you have 3 centre backs marking 1 player, or often no players, leaving you totally outnumbered in other areas like midfield while all your defenders stand about marking space. That's what happened against Germany at the first goal and repeatedly afterwards - we had a back line of 4 or 5 players with no-one to mark while Germany had a bunch of players in space on the edge of the box.

I get it with Tierney playing because he can step out into midfield and is progressive on the ball so the extra defender is there partly to cover him when he goes forward. But if we're playing 3 'normal' centre backs I think that is too many. I think taking 1 out and using them elsewhere would help.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Gunn

Ralston/McCrorie  Hendry  Hanley  Robertson

Christie  Gilmour  MacGregor  McGinn

McTominay

Shankland

No point in continuing with 3 at the back in the absence of Tierney. Ralston would be more comfortable in an actual RB role, but it might be worth giving McCrorie a chance. Christie and McGinn are both capable of playing wide midfield roles. McTominay can play anywhere through the middle from DM to advanced AM. Pure Football Manager naivety from me (which I haven't played for years anyway), and I've taken no account of the opposition, so I'll await my rinsing.

11 hours ago, ArabFC said:

He began to play better when Hendry stopped passing him the ball

McCann summed it up neatly enough in commentary when he commented that Ralston didn't open his body up once when receiving the ball. Always went back.

We must have someone capable of more. Surely?

That’s where the goal came from. He lacks the ability and belief to be an international footballer hence how always looking to pass back. He’s gonna be shitting himself to make a mistake the next game so for that reason alone I’d put McCrorie in, he at least has some attributes as a footballer. 

4 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

An hour you've been logged on and that was the comeback 🤣

Doesn't even make sense 🤣

lol, sorry to disappoint you. An hour's a long time to be waiting by your phone for a reply. Thank you for the effort. Means a great deal to me.

50 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think this is the big problem with 3 at the back. Most teams play with 1 striker, and often a striker who drops deep like Kane, or a striker who drifts all over the place like Havertz. That means you have 3 centre backs marking 1 player, or often no players, leaving you totally outnumbered in other areas like midfield while all your defenders stand about marking space. That's what happened against Germany at the first goal and repeatedly afterwards - we had a back line of 4 or 5 players with no-one to mark while Germany had a bunch of players in space on the edge of the box.

I get it with Tierney playing because he can step out into midfield and is progressive on the ball so the extra defender is there partly to cover him when he goes forward. But if we're playing 3 'normal' centre backs I think that is too many. I think taking 1 out and using them elsewhere would help.

I don't agree with that assessment. I don't want to write an essay, but It's only an issue when the team loses.

There are more reasons than KT and Robbo for playing 3atb. I think it was Granit Xhaka who said Scotland are playing almost a man to man marking system defensively. That doesn't tally with the picture of 3 Scotland defenders marking space while opposition strikers drop deep.

Fair play to @accies1874for noticing it in March.

Edited by 2426255

Simply got to take out one of our CB's unless you want to stick someone like Kenny McClean in there who can keep possession with the ball and move it forward but think this would be way too radical for the likes of Clarke to implement. 

25 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Simply got to take out one of our CB's unless you want to stick someone like Kenny McClean in there who can keep possession with the ball and move it forward but think this would be way too radical for the likes of Clarke to implement. 

Clarke did it with McTominay and fans were up in arms. Failed experiment i believe was the fan consensus.

'You can't play square pegs in round holes'

'Play players in their natural positions'

Fans want 433 or 442 and on the front foot, we know that. That'll never change. Anything else and the manager is overfinkin it.

Edited by 2426255

Hungary are going to need to win this by a few goals to have any chance of qualifying. I say keep it tight and controlled until around 60 minutes and then they'll start getting desperate, probably make a few attacking subs, and chuck players forward. Then we pick them off. Score 1 and they'll lose the head. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Clarke did it with McTominay and fans were up in arms. Failed experiment i believe was the fan consensus.

'You can't play square pegs in round holes'

'Play players in their natural positions'

Fans want 433 or 442 and on the front foot, we know that. That'll never change. Anything else and the manager is overfinkin it.

Aye he should be applauded for this but that was before he was a goal scoring midfielder and one of our main threats. Also. people mainly saw him as a CDM at the time so moving him to a ball playing CB wasn't necessarily that radical.

Could of been something he tried out with McClean in the friendlies to do that role as we all know how unreliable KT is at staying fit man. 

16 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Aye he should be applauded for this but that was before he was a goal scoring midfielder and one of our main threats. Also. people mainly saw him as a CDM at the time so moving him to a ball playing CB wasn't necessarily that radical.

Could of been something he tried out with McClean in the friendlies to do that role as we all know how unreliable KT is at staying fit man. 

Germany started their build up phase with three mostly, Kroos, Tah and Rudiger, and sometimes a four even though they had a back-4 on paper. The Netherlands did the same back in March. Unfortunately Scotland can't do things like that because we mustn't play square pegs in round holes, we have to play players in their 'natural' position and don't want to overthink things.  

CopyofGERSCO.gif.d892dc7c309934b91cefa588f39b732a.gif

8 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Germany started their build up phase with three mostly, Kroos, Tah and Rudiger, and sometimes a four even though they had a back-4 on paper. The Netherlands did the same back in March. Unfortunately Scotland can't do things like that because we mustn't play square pegs in round holes, we have to play players in their 'natural' position and don't want to overthink things.  

CopyofGERSCO.gif.d892dc7c309934b91cefa588f39b732a.gif

Players moving around the pitch? I can't believe it myself. They never used to do this, worlds gone mad.

If a formation I'd picked they should stay where their put. Like subbuteo.