Callum McGregor

It's maybe irrational but it's McGregor's endless pointing that drives me mad. Why not move yourself into space so that *you* are free to take the ball. Gilmour never points to someone else he thinks should get the ball instead of him. That's maybe unfair because Gilmour is just way better at that part of the game. I agree that maybe McGinn would do better in that role but then who is going to do his hold-up stuff further forward.

We just don't have enough really good players - it all falls apart when we're without a few of them.

I quite like McGregor, but Gilmour is the future of this team and he needs someone more dynamic alongside him.

Admittedly I'm not sure who that player is.

I honestly thought gilmour was awful (and I'm a huge fan of his) and mcginn was poor the whole tournament. It seems certain players attract criticism,  not sure if it's the club or the league they play in.

7 hours ago, Kadouken_ said:

Ferguson at Bologna is thriving in a completely different role. Playing him in McGregor’s role wouldn’t make any sense and just take away from everything Ferguson is good at. 

I think part of the problem is we don't need McGregors role. We have Gilmour, having a gilmour like who's not as good playing next to Gilmour is crazy. 2 defensive midfield pivots with 3 centre backs behind them, we're inviting teams onto us.

5 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I quite like McGregor, but Gilmour is the future of this team and he needs someone more dynamic alongside him.

It's clearly ferguson 

I think McGregor is absolutely fine and is not an issue. What may be more of an issue is that Clarke seems to prefer him to Gilmour when I think everybody else can see Gilmour is the better player of the 2 so when Clarke only uses one of them or subs one he always prefers McGregor. That isn't necessarily McGregor's fault but fans get annoyed that Gilmour is being sacrificed and then McGregor gets some unfair criticism.

7 hours ago, AndyX said:

It's maybe irrational but it's McGregor's endless pointing that drives me mad. Why not move yourself into space so that *you* are free to take the ball. Gilmour never points to someone else he thinks should get the ball instead of him. That's maybe unfair because Gilmour is just way better at that part of the game. I agree that maybe McGinn would do better in that role but then who is going to do his hold-up stuff further forward.

We just don't have enough really good players - it all falls apart when we're without a few of them.

Gilmour points like that all the time!

55 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I think McGregor is absolutely fine and is not an issue. What may be more of an issue is that Clarke seems to prefer him to Gilmour when I think everybody else can see Gilmour is the better player of the 2 so when Clarke only uses one of them or subs one he always prefers McGregor. That isn't necessarily McGregor's fault but fans get annoyed that Gilmour is being sacrificed and then McGregor gets some unfair criticism.

Fair enough Gilmour should probably start ahead of McGregor but him being subbed first isn't an issue.

Gilmour was dead on his feet last night and almost gave away a goal with a tired pass that he couldn't recover from

Gilmour's never played 90 minutes for Scotland, plus he wasn't all that great last night. I absolutely love him as a player, but I'd say that McGregor's been more consistent for Scotland than Gilmour since 2021. Of course, that's to be expected given how much younger Gilmour is, but it's hardly some baffling decision that McGregor's been first choice throughout Clarke's time in charge. 

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Gilmour's never played 90 minutes for Scotland, plus he wasn't all that great last night. I absolutely love him as a player, but I'd say that McGregor's been more consistent for Scotland than Gilmour since 2021. Of course, that's to be expected given how much younger Gilmour is, but it's hardly some baffling decision that McGregor's been first choice throughout Clarke's time in charge. 

I thought Gilmour was pretty good last night, first half especially. Always finding space and making himself available, moving the ball nicely. It's not his fault he has nobody to pass the ball forward to.

I think both things can be true - McGregor has been a fantastic player for Scotland over a number of years, but he's also been pretty anonymous in recent months. Both he and Gilmour were far too passive and similar last night but that's on Clarke - clearly set up to keep the ball but with absolutely nothing on in the last 3rd of the park, they bumped it round the back line. I've got no real problem with McGregor but along with Clarke, things are going to be changed up in the coming months.

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Maybe a direct replacement as a double pivot (Connor Barron, in time, or as suggested elsewhere, Hickey being moved inside), or with a change of system to have gilmour as the lone DM with someone like Ferguson linking ahead of him.

Edited by Gordopolis

11 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Maybe a direct replacement as a double pivot (Connor Barron, in time, or as suggested elsewhere, Hickey being moved inside), or with a change of system to have gilmour as the lone DM with someone like Ferguson linking ahead of him.

I keep hearing moving Hickey inside, I'm not going to go all @craigkilliehere and say he can't play there. But us there any evidence that he can, other than being a good player?

It's a bit easier switching left side to right when your 2 footed, but it's a completely different role. I'd like to see him play there at club level first.

Also you've then got Patterson going in at right back, who was pretty shocking for us recently.

If we were looking to complement Gilmour with a high energy midfielder who can do a little bit of everything between both boxes, that player is probably McGinn.

Which in turn would open up the slot in the forward positions, where Ferguson has been most effective for Bologna. 

1 minute ago, Streets of Raith said:

If we were looking to complement Gilmour with a high energy midfielder who can do a little bit of everything between both boxes, that player is probably McGinn.

Which in turn would open up the slot in the forward positions, where Ferguson has been most effective for Bologna. 

Yeah that's a decent shout.

33 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I keep hearing moving Hickey inside, I'm not going to go all @craigkilliehere and say he can't play there. But us there any evidence that he can, other than being a good player?

It's a bit easier switching left side to right when your 2 footed, but it's a completely different role. I'd like to see him play there at club level first.

Also you've then got Patterson going in at right back, who was pretty shocking for us recently.

Hickey DM is based purely on what I see in his playing style - comfortable with both feet, composed, aware, strong and clever with possession. Could see him being a souness like player for us. If anything the one thing he lacks is the pace you ideally want with a wing back.

And, of course, Levein is of the same opinion - so you can all red dot him as well as me 😂

35 minutes ago, Streets of Raith said:

I think this kind of Tetris-y shifting might be what's needed to reinvigorate and bring new ideas to a rather stale looking squad