Scotland's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Scotland's next permanent manager?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Everyone was still absolutely expecting it to not be the absolutely pointless endeavour as the previous tournament though, and last night was inexcusably bad considering the context.

I doubt anyone was even thinking about performance at Euro-2024 at the start of our qualification campaign. I wasn't, I was hoping we would qualify from a potentially tricky group. Fans can react much quicker than the SFA because they are tied into contracts. Most of the reaction is emotional primarily from last night, but when it cools down I think most will recognise what is trying to be achieved by the SFA and Clarke.

Qualifying from the group would have been great. It would have been a cherry on top, but maybe it would have been papering over cracks. We know there are problems to be solved if we want to consistently compete at pot-1 level, 2024 has made that very clear and that's regardless of whether we made history or not, they'll still be there. In general I'm satisfied with where we are as a team.

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Wether he's realistic or not I'd throw this guy in the mix as worth a shout Jorge Sampaoli. He's currently unemployed, so personally I would say it's realistic.

He's an experienced international manager who delivers a well organised attacking system.

Just googled him - he looks like Steve Clarke after a week on the sunbeds 😂

images (9).jpeg

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

In general I'm satisfied with where we are as a team.

That's the problem with Scottish football encapsulated in one sentence.  Satisfied with that?  Fucking hell.  

Scotland were comfortably the worst team in the tournament and to make matters worse, they were utter shitebags at the same time.  Even the Georgians and Albanians went at their games with at least some intent.

Oh but we've qualified twice... there's only about 38 countries or thereabouts with a realistic hope of qualifying.  It's not that hard.

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I doubt anyone was even thinking about performance at Euro-2024 at the start of our qualification campaign. I wasn't, I was hoping we would qualify from a potentially tricky group. Fans can react much quicker than the SFA because they are tied into contracts. Most of the reaction is emotional primarily from last night, but when it cools down I think most will recognise what is trying to be achieved by the SFA and Clarke.

Qualifying from the group would have been great. It would have been a cherry on top, but maybe it would have been papering over cracks. We know there are problems to be solved if we want to consistently compete at pot-1 level, 2024 has made that very clear and that's regardless of whether we made history or not, they'll still be there. In general I'm satisfied with where we are as a team.

I said before the tournament, ourselves, Switzerland and Hungary will all have went into the tournament thinking that 2nd in the group was their realistic aim, obviously one of us needs to come bottom and that ended up being us, but for it is not results but the manner in which they came about, we were absolutely rattled by Germany before a ball was kicked and it showed all over the players body language, that's unacceptable regardless of the quality of opposition.  last night we played very timid, conservative football in an absolute must win game, again , not good enough. We have been unlucky with injuries but we still have easily the strongest squad this centaury, the manager has to take responsibility for that.

I'm not saying he should go btw

18 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

If we're going on which nationality of manager has done badly for us then we can rule out Scottish managers immediately.

Well, quite, but a Scottish manager will always be given more leniency from the media (and, to an extent, the support). 

1 minute ago, Basile Boli said:

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t Moyes, unemployed so perfect for the skint SFA and at an age where he might fancy the part-time aspect of the job.

managers are not unemployed, they have a legally binding contract that is paid up in full untill it's end date. When a manager is "sacked" that's generally what is meant, it is not the same as you or I getting the sack for gross misconduct at work and having to sign on the dole

7 minutes ago, joozy said:

That's the problem with Scottish football encapsulated in one sentence.  Satisfied with that?  Fucking hell.  

I'm satisfied that we're heading in the right direction despite the results and performances at this tournament. The intention is definitely there and the planning is good. I accept that we have to find solutions to compete better at the higher level and I hope we can. Am I disappointed we didn't get out of the group? not overly now, I was after the game and last night.

2024 was always going to be a challenging year for us in terms of the stepping up a level in this tournament and in the Nations League coming up. We aren't where we would like to be, so at least we know that. Our job is to try and bridge the gap and it's up to the team to try and do that.

8 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'm satisfied that we're heading in the right direction despite the results and performances at this tournament. The intention is definitely there and the planning is good. I accept that we have to find solutions to compete better at the higher level and I hope we can. Am I disappointed we didn't get out of the group? not overly now, I was after the game and last night.

2024 was always going to be a challenging year for us in terms of the stepping up a level in this tournament and in the Nations League coming up. We aren't where we would like to be, so at least we know that. Our job is to try and bridge the gap and it's up to the team to try and do that.

1 win in 12 (vs Gibraltar).  I'm not going to post the Opta stats again but a dire, embarrassing tournament performance.  And that's what you think is heading in the right direction?  That is absolutely mad.  Intent?  Good planning?  You're either properly deluded or are on the wind up.  

27 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

managers are not unemployed, they have a legally binding contract that is paid up in full untill it's end date. When a manager is "sacked" that's generally what is meant, it is not the same as you or I getting the sack for gross misconduct at work and having to sign on the dole

Just to be pedantic, Moyes’ contract was up at West Ham so he is unemployed! But yeah, I know what you mean. Not many other professions where you’re rewarded for failure.

29 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

your having a laugh right?

14 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Fucking hell. As long as we intended to play well, eh. Job done.

No, it's not that. What I mean is we're trying to achieve, that's our aim - our intention. It's not similar to the likes of Celtic who get the accusation levelled at them that they don't have the ambition to progress in the Champions League. 

17 minutes ago, joozy said:

1 win in 12 (vs Gibraltar).  I'm not going to post the Opta stats again but a dire, embarrassing tournament performance.  And that's what you think is heading in the right direction?  That is absolutely mad.  Intent?  Good planning?  You're either properly deluded or are on the wind up.  

I think the bigger picture planning has been good overall. The results on the pitch haven't been what anyone would have chosen, but that doesn't change the fact that we've done a lot of things right off the pitch for me.  

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

No, it's not that. What I mean is we're trying to achieve, that's our aim - our intention. It's not similar to the likes of Celtic who get the accusation levelled at them that they don't have the ambition to progress in the Champions League.

I think I understand you now, but still, that's bare minimum stuff surely, like getting praise for turning up to work on time.