The End Of The Line - Players

Another meek exit from a tournament and the big discussion is focused on Clarke’s future.  However, going forward, which of the players do you think have realistically reached the end of the line too. 

6 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Cooper, Armstrong, Forrest, Hanley, Jack.

aye i'd agree with this. I wish hendry was added to this list too, never seen a  defender make so many poor decisions in my life.

Edited by gerrymcc1978

We need to build a team around players who are going to be around for a while now. That means Gilmour, Ferguson, Hickey. Players like Conway, Doig, and Doak should be phased in as well. Even the likes of Lewis Mayo who is a young and improving player at a position where we're aging and lacking quality should be looked at and tried out. The back 5 has to go as Tierney can't be relied upon and he's the sole reason we play that way. We need proper width in the team as Robertson can't be relied upon to provide it all on his own. 

I'd like to see us go 433 

Gunn

Hickey Hendry Porteous/McKenna Robertson

Ferguson Gilmour McTominay

Doak Dykes McGinn

A massive issue for us is that we have no eays games for ages. The nations league is really worrying - it's going to be really difficult to be experimental when playing the likes of Portugal, but we absolutely need to be. 

Edited by Coooombe

12 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Cooper, Armstrong, Forrest, Hanley, Jack.

Yes except Hanley who will be around a bit longer. 

I think we should see McGregor becoming more of a squad player from now on and gilmour being the main man in that deep role. 

5 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

We need to build a team around players who are going to be around for a while now. That means Gilmour, Ferguson, Hickey. Players like Conway, Doig, and Doak should be phased in as well. Even the likes of Lewis Mayo who is a young and improving player at a position where we're aging and lacking quality should be looked at and tried out. The back 5 has to go as Tierney can't be relied upon and he's the sole reason we play that way. We need proper width in the team as Robertson can't be relied upon to provide it all on his own. 

I'd like to see us go 433 

Gunn

Hickey Hendry Porteous/McKenna Robertson

Ferguson Gilmour McTominay

Doak Dykes McGinn

A massive issue for us is that we have no eays games for ages. The nations league is really worrying - it's going to be really difficult to be experimental when playing the likes of Portugal, but we absolutely need to be. 

Mayo? Hehehe

Only players I would be looking to move out would be Cooper, Jack, Forrest, Souttar and Kelly. They've proved they ain't good enough to cut it so let's get some fresh talent in to take their places and get them ready for the future. Porto could GTF also IMO but then who do we replace him with? Possibly King and some others. 

Hanley was great last night and our best CB. I would like to see him carry on for next couple of years until we have some young CB coming through.

I would keep Armstrong as he's useful off the bench for the time being but happy to see him moved on if we need to cut a midfielder in squad selections and there's a better player out there on form at time of selection. 

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think we should see McGregor becoming more of a squad player from now on and gilmour being the main man in that deep role. 

Gilmour and McGregor would be a fantastic midfield pair if we play four at the back.

Last night you had them sitting alongside three centre halves who aren't comfortable on the ball.  Therefore, Gilmour & McGregor were getting it deep and then had no ball to play forwards as nae c**t was there!  Get more players ahead of them and they'd be excellent together.

29 minutes ago, gerrymcc1978 said:

aye i'd agree with this. I wish hendry was added to this list too, never seen a  defender make so many poor decisions in my life.

Wot.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

Gilmour and McGregor would be a fantastic midfield pair if we play four at the back.

Last night you had them sitting alongside three centre halves who aren't comfortable on the ball.  Therefore, Gilmour & McGregor were getting it deep and then had no ball to play forwards as nae c**t was there!  Get more players ahead of them and they'd be excellent together.

aye there was absolutely no options going forward and 5 at the back encourages sidewards passing

I expect Cooper will retire from internationals in the coming days, and I've a suspicion McGregor might too. Robertson after the next qualification cycle. McGregor I'd like to keep in the squad, but as an option not an invariable starter. Gilmour and Ferguson in there is the future.

I don't think Jack, Forrest and Kelly should have been in the squad in the first place (although in Kelly's we don't exactly have an abundance of young keepers coming through.) Ralston shouldn't be anywhere near the squad unless we have an even worse injury crisis in the future - Max Johnston should be in ahead of him as well as Hickey and Patterson, obviously.

Hanley, Armstrong, Hendry and McLean would ideally be options if we're short or have injuries, but we need to be looking beyond them and/or phasing them out of squads. Saying all that, I don't have a long list of younger guys banging on the door.

Anyway, I'm upwards of 90% sure Clarke's squad for the Nations League will only differ in the players coming back from injury, and from that he will select the same players as the last couple of years in exactly the same system. 

Of the players in the current pool of players that should be phased out from the Starting XI/squad before WC 26 qualifying

Hanley - Be 33 in November and is extremely slow. Has been a good player for us but is a very limited defender. Always seems to have bomb scare moments up his sleeve.

Cooper - be 33 in August. Has never really suited international level but has had a few good games.

McGregor - Has been a great servant to Scotland. But his limitations are a hindrance if we wish to progress. He can still offer something to the team but him and Gilmour are too similar and its time the younger player take over.

Armstrong - again a great servant but time for a younger player to take over for the future.

Jack - He is Mr. Glass. far too injury prone and even at international level he is not very good.

McLean - Has been a player that offers very little to the team.

Forrest - Be 33 soon and dont see him being in future squads. 

Of the names mentioned above, I'd quibble with Hendry. I don't think he's great, but I think he can improve with the right coaching. So I'd keep him. I doubt this will be very popular, but I think both McGinn and Robertson need to show clear signs of returning to form next season, otherwise I'd send them off to the glue factory too.

29 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Of the players in the current pool of players that should be phased out from the Starting XI/squad before WC 26 qualifying

Hanley - Be 33 in November and is extremely slow. Has been a good player for us but is a very limited defender. Always seems to have bomb scare moments up his sleeve.

Cooper - be 33 in August. Has never really suited international level but has had a few good games.

McGregor - Has been a great servant to Scotland. But his limitations are a hindrance if we wish to progress. He can still offer something to the team but him and Gilmour are too similar and its time the younger player take over.

Armstrong - again a great servant but time for a younger player to take over for the future.

Jack - He is Mr. Glass. far too injury prone and even at international level he is not very good.

McLean - Has been a player that offers very little to the team.

Forrest - Be 33 soon and dont see him being in future squads. 

Hanley isn't extremely slow at all, this is some sort of myth that has been branded around and people believe it. He's got a decent turn of pace for a man of his size. 

Some of the shoots here are wild - Hendry, Porteous and McGregor particularly. To a lesser extent Hanley and Armstrong. We would have no centre halves left!

Why would we possibly phase out the first three!

1 minute ago, Butters Scotch said:

Hanley isn't extremely slow at all, this is some sort of myth that has been branded around and people believe it. He's got a decent turn of pace for a man of his size. 

I think it's mostly because he's quite slow off the mark but he's pretty rapid once he gets up to full speed.