Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

35 minutes ago, throbber said:

How did it get decided England would play Slovakia and not Netherlands?

England must face the path of least resistance. It's one of the unwritten rules of tournament football. 

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

England must face the path of least resistance. It's one of the unwritten rules of tournament football. 

This is true, it just sweetens the deal when they f**k up. 

Yes yes I know. 

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I actually think that England will not relish yet another team who are defensively organised and will dig in.  If Slovakia can avoid conceding early on then every minute will crank up the pressure on the Three Lions.

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I actually think that England will not relish yet another team who are defensively organised and will dig in.  If Slovakia can avoid conceding early on then every minute will crank up the pressure on the Three Lions.

Whilst that would be the hope,  the feeling I have is they'll do to Slovakia what they did to Ukraine at the last Euros.

Switzerland and Austria are the two teams that I really think could give England nightmares on that side of the draw. I know everyone sees the Dutch and Italians on that side and assumes it’s going to be one of them, but I really think the two co-hosts from 2008 are the best two teams in that half of the draw right now. 

It's definitely the easier side, but it's the typical brash, bordering-on-arrogance stuff to suggest like it's easy at all.  Slovakia are going to be the sort of stodgy side that they've already struggled against, and if they continue on the path they're on, I could see it going all the way to penalties, then it's anyone's game.  Italy or Switzerland both pose different tests.  Then it could be Austria if they make it past that, and it seems like they're the side that everyone is fearing.  

Honestly the English media annoys the f**k out of me. 

Yes they have the easier side of the draw (yet again) but already talking about the final and how it will be a failure if they don't get there. 

Have these fucking idiots actually watched any of the group stages. They have been absolutely shite and are quite simply writing off the likes of Italy, Netherlands, Austria and Switzerland as fodder for them. 

The arrogance actually astounds me. Will they ever fucking learn. They wonder why everyone else fucking hates them and wants to see them papped out asap. 

I think the Euros should still be 16 teams and it was much better when it was. Not naming any names, but there were clearly a few padding teams who weren’t up to it and were just making up the numbers. They’ve been duly rinsed and we are now onto the real stuff. 
Some tasty looking ties there, France and Belgium in particular. Quarter finals should look like:
Spain V Germany in a repeat of the 2008 final

Portugal V France in a repeat of the 2016 final

Holland V Austria 

England V Italy in a repeat of the 2021 final.

IMG_7951.jpeg

Edited by Lex

Just now, Lex said:

I think the Euros should still be 16 teams and it was much when it was. Not naming any names, but there were clearly a few padding teams who weren’t up to it and were just making up the numbers. They’ve been duly rinsed and we are now onto the real stuff. 
Some tasty looking ties there, France and Belgium in particular. Quarter finals should look like:
Spain V Germany

Portugal V France

Holland V Austria

England V Italy in a repeat of the 2021 final.

IMG_7951.jpeg

Ouch. 

Switzerland, Germany, England (soz) Spain, France, Portugal, Netherlands, Austria to qualify is my bet which I got at 9/1 and I’m about 95% sure it won’t come in, Switzerland will probably f**k it in the first game but I think there will be at least one surprise result here.

The main travesty for me here is Germany and Spain have to face each other in the quarters, bet Germany wished they hadn’t equalised v Switzerland.

On 27/06/2024 at 10:38, Lex said:

IMG_7951.jpeg

I legitimately think this is the stage where England get punted.

Slovakia to face Italy in the QF. Other QFs of Turkey v Netherlands, Spain v Germany and Slovenia v France.

Semis of Germany v France and Italy v Netherlands. Final of Germany v Netherlands.

German win. Yawn. 

Slovakia could surprise a lot of people on Sunday.

In their previous 5 competitive head 2 head matches, England have won 4 of them by the margin of 1 goal in all 4 matches.

The other match was a 0-0 draw.

These are the stats of the projected lineups:

England goals: 89

England caps: 526 

Slovakia goals: 59

Slovakia caps: 629

Take out Kane's 63 goals and England's team have scored 26 international goals. Slovakia have scored more than double that.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

Slovakia could surprise a lot of people on Sunday.

In their previous 5 competitive head 2 head matches, England have won 4 of them by the margin of 1 goal in all 4 matches.

The other match was a 0-0 draw.

These are the stats of the projected lineups:

England goals: 89

England caps: 526 

Slovakia goals: 59

Slovakia caps: 629

Take out Kane's 63 goals and England's team have scored 26 international goals. Slovakia have scored more than double that.

Does that stat still apply if you take out the Slovakia top scorer?

Appreciate the sentiment and would be hilarious to see Slovakia knock them out, but England don’t lose these games under Southgate. The days of Roy Hodgson are gone, sadly. They routinely cruise them 1-0 or 2-1 or something and expect similar again here. 
The real meaty tie will be the Italians in the quarter finals, they could certainly lose that one, and probably will. 

17 minutes ago, Lex said:

Does that stat still apply if you take out the Slovakia top scorer?

Appreciate the sentiment and would be hilarious to see Slovakia knock them out, but England don’t lose these games under Southgate. The days of Roy Hodgson are gone, sadly. They routinely cruise them 1-0 or 2-1 or something and expect similar again here. 
The real meaty tie will be the Italians in the quarter finals, they could certainly lose that one, and probably will. 

Good question.

I've just crunched the numbers.

Kucka Is their too scorer with 14. If you take that away then Slovakia have scored 45.

45 to England's 26 (without Kane's goals) Is pretty good going.

Yeah, can't come soon enough, mate.

Gotta love schadenfreude. It'll make it even more delicious with it being in Germany. ;)

On 27/06/2024 at 08:08, O'Kelly Isley III said:

If this were a qualifier, you’d fully expect England to smash them by four or five.  But something’s not  right with England so it’ll probably be a 1-0 drudge.  

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

4-0 England. It clicks tonight and they all get very excited. We've been here before

I hope England are at their best tonight and give everything. Because they're playing tomorrow.