What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

4 hours ago, GiGi said:

Labour leaflet in the door. "We will focus on what unites us as a country - not what divides us"

What the f**k would that be, exactly?

They didn't bother telling me who the local candidate is, they're betting the house on Sarwar

The Tories could well win in Hartlepool, but individual constituency polling is pretty volatile and the aforementioned poll has a relatively small sample size. Whilst I have some doubts about Starmer, I don't think it would have been much different for Labour under either of the candidates who stood against him for the leadership - probably a bit worse.

I'm also pretty sceptical about polling voters on individual policies, such as free broadband. Most voters might support it in theory, but simultaneously not think that it should be a priority or fully trust certain parties to deliver it. 

On the subject of talking to parents, my dad spoke about Labour the other week. He said that when he was younger, Labour was the party of the "ordinary working man". That isn't the case these days. They've become a talking shop for *minor* issues only (his words). The people who were for the ordinary working man in the 80s are still there, but the working man has moved on from the heavy industry days. 

By minor issues I think he's talking about foodbanks and the like which are very important, but aren't gonna win anyone an election.

Put bluntly, he isn't sure what Labour is for nowadays either, but knows what they were for. 

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

On the subject of talking to parents, my dad spoke about Labour the other week. He said that when he was younger, Labour was the party of the "ordinary working man". That isn't the case these days. They've become a talking shop for *minor* issues only (his words). The people who were for the ordinary working man in the 80s are still there, but the working man has moved on from the heavy industry days. 

By minor issues I think he's talking about foodbanks and the like which are very important, but aren't gonna win anyone an election.

Put bluntly, he isn't sure what Labour is for nowadays either, but knows what they were for. 

Did he vote for them 2015-2019?

4 hours ago, G51 said:

🥴

I kind of know what Ash means but as I presume that is Charles 1 , then  he was executed by the English State and of course James 11 was overthrown by the English state for having the wrong faith, but  I suppose since 1707 the "British " monarchy has been fairly stable, though not always inspiring faith in  it. Keir is talking tripe. The monarchy is institutionally un egalitarian and tied up in hereditary privilege  which the "British" people may be unconcerned about that but should he? Maybe Ash is a bit "Anglo" equals "British" as well

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Lack of understanding

15 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I kind of know what Ash means but as I presume that is Charles 1 , then  he was executed by the English State and of course James 11 was overthrown by the English state for having the wrong faith, but  I suppose since 1707 the "British " monarchy has been fairly stable, though not always inspiring faith in  it. Keir is talking tripe. The monarchy is institutionally un egalitarian and tied up in hereditary privilege  which the "British" people may be unconcerned about that but should he? Maybe Ash is a bit "Anglo" equals "British" as well

To be fair, the Union of the Crowns had already happened in 1603 so she’s correct in that there was a British monarch and the two countries were in “personal” union when Charlie got his head chopped off and James II was deposed. Post 1707 though, there were significant republican movements in the 1870s because Victorian did f**k all. The government shat itself and convinced her to engage in a PR blitz of carriage riding and waving and the proles soon realised what a difficult and valuable job she had. 

Edited by Antlion

33 minutes ago, Pato said:

Absolutely. I can't get my head round folk like David Starkey who think that was the absolute high point of British civilisation then you see photos from the time of the desperate poverty normal people lived in. The whole thing was a sham to make 1000 people very rich from the start, it's nonsense.

Aye, the UK fetishisation of the past seems to have really gone mental post empire, when folk saw Britain declining as a world power and hurriedly put on the rose-tinted specs to lionise the supposedly glorious past. Not so glorious if you were scratching a living in Whitechapel or the highlands, or happened to be a minority. It’s no surprise that a lot of UK nationalists’ go-to arguments are based on the past (“three hundred years of shared history and culture! Wasn’t it glorious? The most successful union everrrr! Wasn’t it glorious? Fighting Hitler! Wasn’t it glorious? We kicked f**k out them darkies in Bongo Bongo Land! Wasn’t it - sorry, didn’t mean to say that one out loud.”)

Edited by Antlion