What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

16 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64173370

Not only is Sirkeir's Labour committed to 'Make Brexit Work', they are also, it seems, intending to 'Take Back Control'.

Oh aye. Is that the version of taking back control that reportedly led to the cross-Channel transport links being paralysed by six French blokes not turning up for work? 

I was intrigued to hear that Sir K has added being psychic to his list of talents. How else can anyone account for his remarkable assertion, according to the BBC website, that "He vowed to make the UK the fastest-growing major economy by the end of a first Labour term in government." 

Even if by some stretch of the imagination he was able to predict the level of growth in the British economy, how in the name of sanity is he able to suggest that he can accurately predict the level of growth in all the other manor economies up to SEVEN YEARS in the future?

If he's as good as that, the learned gentleman should be handing out lottery predictions and 7 horse accumulators like confetti. 

5 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I was intrigued to hear that Sir K has added being psychic to his list of talents. How else can anyone account for his remarkable assertion, according to the BBC website, that "He vowed to make the UK the fastest-growing major economy by the end of a first Labour term in government." 

Even if by some stretch of the imagination he was able to predict the level of growth in the British economy, how in the name of sanity is he able to suggest that he can accurately predict the level of growth in all the other manor economies up to SEVEN YEARS in the future?

If he's as good as that, the learned gentleman should be handing out lottery predictions and 7 horse accumulators like confetti. 

Aye, fair points. He can predict this despite not committing himself beyond vague generalities, way too early for details of the manifesto etc.

In the world the way it is now, we can't predict what'll happen at quarter past six, never mind at the end of the next Westminster term.

6 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

As a former Labour member in the dim and distant past I cannot bring myself to support these absolute dingleberries.

Starmar's policies are as vanilla and bland as he is. He peddles the same cliched bollocks as Sunak (my 5 whatevers) and still fails to grasp the Brexit nettle which is screamingly obvious that to give UK plc some breathing space both economically and in the NI arrangements that a Customs Union deal with the EU is essential. But he won't touch it to avoid pissing off racists in the North of England who have realised the Tories are hopeless and who will vote Labour in 2024 and return his party to power giving us more of the same rubbish only a bit less nasty.

Edited by AndyM

4 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Starmer's intended point there was completely unclear. Has he since explained what he meant?

As I understand it, auf Wiedersehen pet was about builders who went to Germany for a better standard of living (before my time, just what I've read today) so his implication is that Sunak is delivering a lower standard of living than Poland (per a recent report) and so if AWP were made today the guys would go there. Only they can't because freedom of movement ended, but Labour support that now so he left this part out.

4 hours ago, Iain said:

As I understand it, auf Wiedersehen pet was about builders who went to Germany for a better standard of living (before my time, just what I've read today) so his implication is that Sunak is delivering a lower standard of living than Poland (per a recent report) and so if AWP were made today the guys would go there. Only they can't because freedom of movement ended, but Labour support that now so he left this part out.

Thats right.

I think Flynn was also bang on the money, as it was a very clunky way to make a point from Starmer (and not for the first time).

Flynn made the point later that Starmer has had multiple open goals to go for and missed them all by trying to be amusing.

I know all these people have speechwriters etc, but this is not the first time Starmer has tried to make a joke about a serious point and didnt land it. I think he is writing his own lines.................and he needs to stop.