What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

13 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
14 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
If we did have a second referendum and a Remain vote I don't think we'd ever have an EU referendum again - certainly not in my lifetime.

Aye but a vote for remain makes it 1 all. It fixes nothing.

In the event of a Remain outcome in a second referendum, an ounce of Golden Virginia, six cans of supermarket lager and a pair of camouflage breeks per Leave voter fixes everything.

I have long held the view that there are a large group of Labour MPs who would go to great lengths to stop Corbyn becoming PM.

They are not a homogeneous group, they have different reasons for their opposition to him.

If Johnson has backflipped on the CU issue then the deal he will put to Parliament will test the size and determination of this group.

Labour will then be faced with an existential challenge that will, IMO, require them to cull large numbers within the PLP.

I'm seeing that Thornberry -  and possibly (but hopefully not) McDonnell - is now in favour of a referendum before an election.
Any Labour MP who votes against the whip when an election is called should lose the whip.
It's now the best strategy - we are long past the stage of being able to negotiate a soft Brexit.

I'd be seriously tempted to agree to Boris's deal on condition that it goes to a referendum vs Remain.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's now the best strategy - we are long past the stage of being able to negotiate a soft Brexit.

I'd be seriously tempted to agree to Boris's deal on condition that it goes to a referendum vs Remain.

^

This.

Surely the realisation that the deal we presently enjoy with the EU is better than any kind of deal that Boris and his mates could come up with would sway the result overwhelmingly in favour of Remain. 

So Remain wins. Boris quits. The Tories reform their majority with a new leader and we don't have another election until May 2022 with an extra two and a half years of Tory misery and death (and zero chance of Indyref2 for you all mad Nats that don't care about actual politics). 

f**k that. 

So Remain wins. Boris quits. The Tories reform their majority with a new leader and we don't have another election until May 2022 with an extra two and a half years of Tory misery and death (and zero chance of Indyref2 for you all mad Nats that don't care about actual politics). 
f**k that. 
Or the misery and death of hard Brexit or No Deal?

You really are a twat of the first degree.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Or the misery and death of hard Brexit or No Deal?

You really are a twat of the first degree.

We could Brexit and spend more on welfare. It's a policy choice and we are a wealthy country in or out of the EU. 

It's good to see the people who want a Tory government until 2022 out themselves though. 

Jess Phillips.  The arrogance is matched by a complete lack of understanding of Labour politics.

I'd be happy to see her stand and get humiliated.

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jess-phillips-leader_uk_5da20b00e4b06ddfc51ac8b2?utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage&ncid=other_homepage_tiwdkz83gze&utm_campaign=mw_entry_recirc

Jess Phillips.  The arrogance is matched by a complete lack of understanding of Labour politics.
I'd be happy to see her stand and get humiliated.
https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jess-phillips-leader_uk_5da20b00e4b06ddfc51ac8b2?utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage&ncid=other_homepage_tiwdkz83gze&utm_campaign=mw_entry_recirc
Depends if you can pay £3 again to get a vote like what happened for Corbyn.

If that still exists then there is every chance.

I do 100% agree with you though.

5 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

They really need to find Tony Blair a safe seat in some Yorkshire backwater and immediately make him leader. Brexit cancelled and three figure majority for the big man. Easy. 

And simultaneous wars with Turkey and Iran. 

No she's just a wrongun. Employed her drug dealer son and tried to get him a light sentence by writing to the trial judge. Local party understandably want rid.
The reselection triggering just means you have to prove yourself to the local constituency. It's not like these candidates are automatically punted. If they can justify their position then they'll win reselection - I don't see what the issue is.