What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

So Corbyn and Labour propose re-nationalising the railways and that is seen as total madness and a reflection of how out touch they are with reality. 

Yet today on the news Graham Shapps and the Tories announce that they are going to renationalise Northern Rail because the current system clearly isn't working.

Go figure.

Edited by Fullerene

26 minutes ago, AB de Villiers said:

Northern is only temporarily being renationalised because it’s currently a shambles. There are plenty of other rail franchises doing just fine. Wouldn’t be like the anti-semites to push an agenda...

Okay. Temporary madness is totally fine.  I understand.

33 minutes ago, AB de Villiers said:

Northern is only temporarily being renationalised because it’s currently a shambles. There are plenty of other rail franchises doing just fine. Wouldn’t be like the anti-semites to push an agenda...

Hiya Tarmo pal. 

1 hour ago, AB de Villiers said:

Ultimately the DfT and Network Rail aka the government have to take a large portion of the blame for this. Northern is a very large franchise area, serving a lot of big cities such as Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, York, Newcastle, Carlisle, Bradford, Blackpool, Preston, Darlington and many more. No other rail operating company in the UK deals with this amount of cities over such a large amount of space. There is no way that Northern should be a franchise area, it should be split in two. 

The DfT refused to grant permission for two extra through platforms at Manchester Piccadilly which would have solved about 90% of congestion on the Northern network, and Network Rail’s signals (all over the country too) have been nothing short of disgraceful.  This is the government led companies you want to run the railway...

Arriva do have to take a lot of blame, their renewal of rolling stock was confusing and poor. Their customer service was awful and several improvements could have been carried out better such as the Blackpool blockade.

Thank you for your detailed response which is certainly more than I know about Northern Rail or maybe even need to know.

On the point of nationalisation, if Corbyn suggested this solution it would be seen as ideological and he hadn't thought it through.  He is seen as the ghost of Hugo Chavez and would probably have nationalised Blockbusters when their business model failed.

Yet when the Tories suggest nationalisation (for Northern Rail)  and say the franchise approach simply doesn't work nobody challenges them at all.

To be blunt, if Corbyn said we need more vitamin B12 he would be called a lunatic.  If the Tories say we need more vitamin B12 they are seen as worldly wise and of course it is obvious that is what we need.

Inconsistency is the word.  IMO.

15 minutes ago, AB de Villiers said:

It seems that Labour voters agree with it because Corbyn said it, and Tory voters disagree because Corbyn said it. The truth is while the way the franchises are awarded probably needs a strong look at, nationalisation would be a backwards step in terms of the quality of rail travel in this country. Nothing against Corbyn on this for me, just speaking from industry experience.

I think this has been the key problem with Corbyn.  He has spent his entire career as a protestor.  Even when Labour was in power he was  constantly defying the whip.

Maybe if you examined each of these issues in turn you might agree with him but nobody does that and thus he is simply seen as somebody sitting in the back seat going "I don't want to be here.  I don't want to do this". 

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

He gave me a green dot on one of my posts.

And followed it up with a red dot on another post a day later.

Maybe he is colour-blind and is actually SandyCromarty's biggest fan.

Just an idea.

Edited by Fullerene

12 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That’s because your Scottish and hence less likely to be swayed by unsubstantiated claims on the internet than English people

In fact you probably don’t believe this either

But I didn't do to uni so can't be intelligent enough for this critical thinking stuff.

He’s the informal co-chair of the group I’m a part of and I couldn’t have put that better myself. Starmer and Leonard essentially telling half the electorate and half their own voter base to go and vote for another party next year is fucking lunatic behaviour.