What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

18 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Must be both.

Since we're going back to 2018, sooner we leave the UK mess behind and get back in the EU the better.

image.thumb.png.0ed1f704c626c225791789f51e45580c.png

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/report/2018/eu-withdrawal-scenarios-and-monetary-and-financial-stability

Edited by welshbairn

'would likely require cuts to many other public services' (also IFS report)

It also notes that in order to make real term increases in public spending, the Scottish economy would have to grow by at least 1% per year, which it hasn't done now for over 10 years, running at best, at 0.8%, and thats before the Covid effect is factored in, in the future.

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

'would likely require cuts to many other public services' (also IFS report)

It also notes that in order to make real term increases in public spending, the Scottish economy would have to grow by at least 1% per year, which it hasn't done now for over 10 years, running at best, at 0.8%, and thats before the Covid effect is factored in, in the future.

But you don't factor in Brexit in the rUK for some reason. Why is that?

5 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Anything more recent than July? What’s the current position?

26th of November....

https://www.ft.com/content/cadc1f6c-14f7-40a9-a68a-f1409fd25997

And yes, absolutely agree that getting back in the EU as soon as possible, is pretty important....you do need your own Central Bank for that first of all, which involves your own central bank being your lender of last resort (not the Bank of England), and potentially joining the Euro, as well as an, on average 4-5 year application process. Here's Andrew Wilson...

So we can have two posters talking about their long time commitment to/membership of the Labour Party (even over 20 years), and its 'perfectly reasonable' to change their minds/leave (in addition to being 'truthful'....but not the SNP...why is that?

Indeed, I have been reading folk on Twitter talking about leaving Labour after 40, and sometimes 50 years of membership,with no questioning of their 'truthfulness'.......any criticism of the SNP is 'trolling', but other parties...fair game.

I have also said on a few occasions that given a binary choice of Independence or status quo that I would (again) vote Yes, while expecting the first years of Indy to be a bumpy ride...but would still prefer that Devo Max offer.

Edited by Jedi

There is no offer from anyone who can deliver it. Even if there was, it still means getting dragged into the mid Atlantic on a sinking ship. Being represented by a delusional UK Government that thinks that 2 aircraft carriers without support ships and a few hired American planes can bring back the old days of the opium trade where we make the rules, and we can do better in trade negotiations outside the biggest and most successful collective on the planet. Meanwhile we've just paid $10 more for a vaccine dose to Pfizer than we would have inside the collective.

Edited by welshbairn

Agree that there is no offer on the table at present, and as long as that remains the case or the offer is watered down again, that Independece is the better option against a status quo.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get this sudden aversion to being independent but outside the EU, we were always going to have to reapply after independence.

So the only way to have potentially remained in the EU was to have voted No in 2014? 

How do I get the specific brainworms which make the reapplication process and likely short term austerity of post-indy Scotland a bridge too far but have you somehow believe that we can overcome the insane forces which kneecapped and caricatured Corbyn’s mild social democracy as ‘communism’ and set us on the trajectory to Hard Brexit in order to rejoin the EU, build a progressive society, and have that all accomplished by Keir Starmer, who hasn’t even shown the conviction to stand behind his ten pledges he made to members less than 12 months ago?

10 hours ago, Jedi said:

So we can have two posters talking about their long time commitment to/membership of the Labour Party (even over 20 years), and its 'perfectly reasonable' to change their minds/leave (in addition to being 'truthful'....but not the SNP...why is that?

Indeed, I have been reading folk on Twitter talking about leaving Labour after 40, and sometimes 50 years of membership,with no questioning of their 'truthfulness'.......any criticism of the SNP is 'trolling', but other parties...fair game.

I have also said on a few occasions that given a binary choice of Independence or status quo that I would (again) vote Yes, while expecting the first years of Indy to be a bumpy ride...but would still prefer that Devo Max offer.

Because in this case it would be like a lifelong Labour member saying ...

"given a binary choice of Labor or Tories that I would (again) vote Labour, while expecting the first years to be a bumpy ride...but would still prefer that Lib Dem offer."

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

How do I get the specific brainworms which make the reapplication process and likely short term austerity of post-indy Scotland a bridge too far but have you somehow believe that we can overcome the insane forces which kneecapped and caricatured Corbyn’s mild social democracy as ‘communism’ and set us on the trajectory to Hard Brexit in order to rejoin the EU, build a progressive society, and have that all accomplished by Keir Starmer, who hasn’t even shown the conviction to stand behind his ten pledges he made to members less than 12 months ago?

During the Corbyn autopsy they would find that the kneecapping by "insane forces" was not helped by the victim repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot.