What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Clear daylight between the corporate whores who won’t seriously advocate for gun control and the corporate whores who will oppose gun control.

You can substitute gun control for tax reform, wealth redistribution, creating corporate responsibility, police accountability, building walls on the southern border, prison reform,  humane treatment of illegal immigrants, etc.

If there's zero difference between conservatives and liberals in the US, then why are you posting shit like this ?

On 01/07/2023 at 07:02, Granny Danger said:

Yesterday’s Supreme Court rulings mean the election of a Democratic President is more vital than ever.  Hopefully Thomas and Alito pop their clogs in the next couple of years.

If they're both exactly the same, then why does it matter that the President is a Democrat, or the Supreme Court is full of conservatives ?

Just now, Ziggy Sobotka said:

If there's zero difference between conservatives and liberals in the US, then why are you posting shit like this ?

If they're both exactly the same, then why does it matter that the President is a Democrat, or the Supreme Court is full of conservatives ?

‘Clear daylight’ and ‘exactly the same’ is not the same.

1 minute ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Just because a system is broken doesn't mean you just accept that. Pointing out the issues in a broken system is always worthwhile 

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

‘Clear daylight’ and ‘exactly the same’ is not the same.

There is absolutely clear daylight in both the laws that are passed and the way individual states are run by both liberals and conservatives in the US.

Of course there is convergence on certain issues, but the country is hugely polarised for a reason.

Looks like Labour want to cover up their internal problems until after the next GE.  It would be terrible if the truth came out about paid Labour Party employees trying to undermine the elected leader and being unhappy that Labour under Corbyn performed better than expected in the 2017 GE.

Anyone voting for this disreputable mob deserve everything they get.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/06/labour-seeking-delay-antisemitism-leak-lawsuit-after-election

Now it's Labour's conference. Having seen last week how not to do a conference, what will Labour offer?

I'm old enough to remember Labour's 1996 one. That's the bar they need to reach, I think. "Education, education, education" might have been a slogan but it stuck. 

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Now it's Labour's conference. Having seen last week how not to do a conference, what will Labour offer?

I'm old enough to remember Labour's 1996 one. That's the bar they need to reach, I think. "Education, education, education" might have been a slogan but it stuck. 

Going with the "energy" company today which in reality is giving private companies the cash 

According to whatever Westminister weasel reports for the Today programme, Labour’s strategy for this conference is to keep it out of the news and not draw any attention. 

While cowardly and uninspiring, it’s probably sensible. Whether they can see it out without some guy in a donkey jacket smuggling a Palestinian flag in is another matter.

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

According to whatever Westminister weasel reports for the Today programme, Labour’s strategy for this conference is to keep it out of the news and not draw any attention. 

While cowardly and uninspiring, it’s probably sensible. Whether they can see it out without some guy in a donkey jacket smuggling a Palestinian flag in is another matter.

Watching HIGNFY on Friday, Ian Hislop made a remark that the only Labour policy was "We're not the Tories".

His guest said "Well, it's a fucking great policy". Big applause. 

18 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Guy in a donkey jacket getting within 100 yards of the conference hall?  You’re having a laugh.

2 minutes ago, orfc said:

Corbyn's not allowed in is he? I thought he had the whip removed?

Never a fan of Corbyn but his treatment by the Labour Party has been nothing short of disgraceful.

The use of Israel/Palestine (and I say this as someone who is not particularly enamoured to either side) by certain individuals is just poltical opportunism of the worst kind.

6 minutes ago, orfc said:

Corbyn's not allowed in is he? I thought he had the whip removed?

He'll be trying to sneak in wearing a succession of hilarious disguises and getting rumbled by the bouncer, eventually succeeding, he'll get in when everyone has left. 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Never a fan of Corbyn but his treatment by the Labour Party has been nothing short of disgraceful.

The use of Israel/Palestine (and I say this as someone who is not particularly enamoured to either side) by certain individuals is just poltical opportunism of the worst kind.

And just watch the tory right wing turn Corbyns Palestinian support and the Palestinian group outside the Labour Party conference today subtly spun to associate the Labour party as a whole in supporting Palestine and terrorism.

This has been political manna from heaven for the tory right wing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/09/i-will-never-leave-labour-but-my-new-membership-card-makes-me-uneasy

It was from the general secretary of the Labour party, which I am never leaving, informing me of changes to my membership card. I now have to carry something with a union flag on it that says “putting country first” on the flip side.

:lol:

25 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In terms of likeability Lammy is Labour’s answer to Braverman.

Braverman is a confirmed nutjob tbf, Lammy is just a shameless opportunistic cretin.