What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

54 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Starmer using these riots as a reason to do his own tinpot version of the patriot act isn’t great. 

Did you expect anything else?

The Labour Party have been draping themselves in the Union Flag since Starmer replaced Corbyn.

Only a month into the job and Sir Kerr now has negative poll ratings according to YouGov poll today .

40% Plus.

49% Negative.

800 million Edinburgh Supercomputer monies withdrawn by UK Gov just adds to the latest cuts to affect Scotland.

10 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

Only a month into the job and Sir Kerr now has negative poll ratings according to YouGov poll today .

40% Plus.

49% Negative.

800 million Edinburgh Supercomputer monies withdrawn by UK Gov just adds to the latest cuts to affect Scotland.

I think that was inevitable, not being a Tory doesn't get you much once you've become PM.

On NI,  it's a tax, just like any other, your NI contributions 20 years ago were used to pay for the pensioners (along with other national spending) then, just as my NI payments go towards pensions now, and I hope that when I become a pensioner that they'll be others paying into the system to pay me.

Also NI is an utterly terrible tax and needs fixed/completely replaced, it's set up incredibly poorly in the way it targets lower earners and particularly poorly seasonal earners, it's just silly

24 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

40% Plus.

49% Negative.

I thought he was on negative even before the election. Just not as negative as Sunak's ratings.

The only politician that I remember having a positive was Farage and that was close. 

Just now, Suspect Device said:

I thought he was on negative even before the election. Just not as negative as Sunak's ratings.

The only politician that I remember having a positive was Farage and that was close. 

Well if he was negative before the election and is negative now doesn’t that make a positive?

Then again maybe I wasn’t paying attention in maths class…

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Well if he was negative before the election and is negative now doesn’t that make a positive?

Then again maybe I wasn’t paying attention in maths class…

Only if you multiply. If you add, it becomes more negative.

58 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

They were marginally...now even more so .

6 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I think that was inevitable, not being a Tory doesn't get you much once you've become PM.

On NI,  it's a tax, just like any other, your NI contributions 20 years ago were used to pay for the pensioners (along with other national spending) then, just as my NI payments go towards pensions now, and I hope that when I become a pensioner that they'll be others paying into the system to pay me.

Also NI is an utterly terrible tax and needs fixed/completely replaced, it's set up incredibly poorly in the way it targets lower earners and particularly poorly seasonal earners, it's just silly

It’s truly about time that people realised that when they are paying into their NI they are not paying into a pension. Paying into a pension creates and asset pool for future use. NI creates no such thing. Purely another form of tax. Might as well opt out and put your contributions into a real pension pot instead. 

24 minutes ago, Stevieda said:

It’s truly about time that people realised that when they are paying into their NI they are not paying into a pension. Paying into a pension creates and asset pool for future use. NI creates no such thing. Purely another form of tax. Might as well opt out and put your contributions into a real pension pot instead. 

Ye, I believe the state pension is paid with taxes, but not solely National Insurance contributions. Could be wrong though.

Keith Starmer has zero personality or statesman attributes. Vacuous IMO.

Wouldn't mind seeing Scottish Labour run Holyrood for a bit. See how that goes.. Lapdogs to their Imperial masters in London no doubt. 

8 minutes ago, GTee said:

Ye, I believe the state pension is paid with taxes, but not solely National Insurance contributions. Could be wrong though.

Keith Starmer has zero personality or statesman attributes. Vacuous IMO.

Wouldn't mind seeing Scottish Labour run Holyrood for a bit. See how that goes.. Lapdogs to their Imperial masters in London no doubt. 

The state pension received by current pensioners is of course paid by the taxes of the current workforce. Therefore it is an illusion to say that the NI contributions (or any other tax you pay) you make today are paying into your pension. 

Paying into a pension means there is a pool of assets from which you will receive future income. The NI and tax you pay is gone as soon as you pay it. 

5 hours ago, Stevieda said:

The state pension received by current pensioners is of course paid by the taxes of the current workforce. Therefore it is an illusion to say that the NI contributions (or any other tax you pay) you make today are paying into your pension. 

Paying into a pension means there is a pool of assets from which you will receive future income. The NI and tax you pay is gone as soon as you pay it. 

It doesn't go into a hypothecated fund, but it does create an entitlement to a future pension a you pay it. The pension doesn't depend directly on the contributions, so it's more akin to a defined benefit scheme. 

It's not completely wrong to think of paying NI as paying into a pension but it's better described as paying for a pension.

7 hours ago, Stevieda said:

Except that would exacerbate inequality.  The State Pension offers a set amount so long as you’ve contributed for 35 years but is not determined by the level of contribution hence being more favourable to those earning less.

37 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It doesn't go into a hypothecated fund, but it does create an entitlement to a future pension a you pay it. The pension doesn't depend directly on the contributions, so it's more akin to a defined benefit scheme. 

It's not completely wrong to think of paying NI as paying into a pension but it's better described as paying for a pension.

Wrong. It’s better described as a tax that pays for various benefits for people today, including pensions and a large chunk towards the NHS. You actually don’t even need to pay any NIC to qualify for the state pension. For example, carers, people claiming benefits like JSA, child benefit etc. aren’t ’paying into their pension’, yet can still gain a qualifying year. You would’ve gained qualifying years between the ages of 16-18 when you were in school (and not in employment) as well. This has since been removed. This mechanism for qualification for the benefit is clearly different to ‘paying into a pension’.